U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 PM

11 posts, read 19,613 times

Advertisements

Trying to get an idea of the town/area. Is this a walkable neighborhood type place? I have four daughters and would like to be able to walk to market, farmer's markets, gym, parks. Looking at some townhomes for rent there. My husband will be working at LAX which is quite a ways away, but his hours are odd and he won't be on the roads during rush hours. Any advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,558,421 times
fyi, the 405 is bad most hours of the day. just because he'll be driving off hours doesn't it mean it will be an easy commute. other than that, all i know is that santa clarita is a very family friendly area and gets very hot in the summer. otherwise, it is nice and reasonably priced compared to comparable neighborhoods in other areas.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM

20 posts, read 52,799 times
Hello, I live in Santa Clarita and love it. I moved here from the Valley 10 years ago specifically to raise my son in this school district. It is a very nice safe, walking neighborhood to raise your girls. Great place to live. There are paseo's all over this town for them to walk and ride their bikes. Most of my friends moved here from the Valley too, to raise their kids as well. Great school districts. Family orientated town. Plenty for all to do and what is not available is not that far to drive too. The beach is only a short 40minutes away, going out towads Ventura some of the kids go after school for a couple of hours in the hot months. Moms and Dads take turns driving. As far as LAX, it will not be that bad with those off hours. I have made it there to drop my husband off in the early am and was back in time to take my son to school. Plenty of condos Santa Clarita consist of these city's within our city of Santa Clarita so look at Valencia, Saugus, Stevenson Ranch and Canyon Country. Canyon Country is not my favorite, but there are some nice places. I am on the border of Saugus and Valencia and love it. So does my family.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM

22 posts, read 41,399 times
Hey Brooks6,

Sanata Clarita is a safe area, as areas go, but it is a big "city" with both good and bad areas. Suzzeee is correct in her post about the good and not so good areas. One thing to consider is that most of the Deputy Sheriff's that work in the area also live in the area. That and, along with Simi Valley, Santa Clarita has the highest populations of cop-residents of all the areas surrounding Los Angeles. I used to live there and loved it. Great family oriented community.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 19,613 times
Thanks so much! Your posts have my husband sold on Santa Clarita. We are curious about the weather also. Is the weather really a lot more extreme than in LA? Are the temps unbearable in the summer? It gets really hot and humid here in the summer months and right now the temps are at about 30 F. Also if my husband was traveling to LAX at around 10 pm what would the commute be like?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,558,421 times
I worked in the area for a summer, highs during the day were regularly in excess of 100 degrees. It's not humid, but to me 100 degrees is hot no matter what. The lows probably will rarely get below 40. As for the commute to LAX at 10pm, that should be pretty smooth, but as I mentioned a few weeks ago the 405 is quite unpredictable. On most nights though, an hour should be plenty of time to make the drive.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:07 PM

7,075 posts, read 7,052,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks6 View Post
Thanks so much! Your posts have my husband sold on Santa Clarita. We are curious about the weather also. Is the weather really a lot more extreme than in LA? Are the temps unbearable in the summer? It gets really hot and humid here in the summer months and right now the temps are at about 30 F. Also if my husband was traveling to LAX at around 10 pm what would the commute be like?

//pics2.city-data.com/w1/lha2475.png (broken link)

Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM

448 posts, read 1,425,002 times
Walkable? I think not. I lived in Saugus for 3 years. I used to walk to school everyday, mainly out of sheer necessity since I couldn't afford a car at the time. Santa Clarita is mainly homes, homes and more homes. If you want to live close to retail and schools, you should move to the Valencia area. Remember this is a suburb of a suburb, so everything is big box stores and really spread out. People drive everywhere. You will rarely see people walking on the streets. It's funny because the city spends so much money on sidewalks and bridges for pedestrians. Try counting the pedestrians as you drive through the city. You'll be hard pressed to find any...unless you're near the mall...again that's the Valencia area.

Oh and the city is REALLY hot in the summer. Make sure you find a townhouse with central air. It is a desert, so with deserts come ultra cold winters and ultra hot summers. It's funny when you spend a summer in Santa Clarita, you can hear EVERY neighbor with their air conditioning blasting. And this is in an area with single family homes spread far out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles