Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,007 times

Advertisements

My fiance, I and our 5 year old are moving from New England to LA. My fiance will be working as a District Manager covering LA county and we are trying to figure out where we will live. He will be driving to various areas in LA county on any given day. We are open to renting or buying depending on what meets our requirements. We are what you would consider middle class. Here is "The List":

Great public school system (my son is in a terrific private school now, but for budgetary reasons we will probably not be able to pay for private school when we move to LA).

Prevent as much delay from traffic as possible (I know, this is a tough one!!)

Safe neighborhood

Family Friendly neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
What's your budget for housing?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:36 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Hard to say what is central because the county is huge and traffic sucks pretty much all around. I'd probably say the South Pasadena area. Good schools and neighborhood, and would put you close to both Metrolink rail and LA Metro rail for avoiding some of the traffic

That said, you can use California School Performance Maps to look at school ratings geographically. The general rule is the better the family neighborhood, the better the schools, so you can pick a community to check out based on the school ratings and feel pretty safe about it

Old 01-13-2010, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,007 times
Renting...2b $2000

Buying... 2-3b $350k

Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Know that your purchase budget doesn't fit the areas you're looking for in most of LA or Orange Counties. Might work in Santa Clarita, Ventura, or the Inland Empire cities, but those aren't the best places for someone working all around LAC.. The traffic is just killer.

Your rental budget should work though, but not in a house unless you get lucky. Think condo/townhouse or maybe a luxury apt.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
You can rent a 2BR in South Pasadena (or many other recommended places) for $2,000, but not buy. We rented a small 2 BR house in South Pas for just under that. Several of our neighbors had previously owned homes in adjacent cities but had decided to rent in South Pasadena because of the schools; generally speaking, you can get FAR more for that money if you rent than if you buy. Like bhcompy noted, you might be able to get what you're looking for at the purchase price if you went far out, but that would be rough with the commute. You might also get it if you went for a more transitional neighborhood in a district with a more troubled school system. If you want it all, though, I think you should just expect to rent, at least for now.

And admittedly I'm a big South Pasadena booster, but I think it does sound like a good fit. Very family friendly, rentals in your budget, great schools, safe, and somewhat central if his work will bring him all over the county. There are a fair number of smaller 2BR homes for rent, although I think demand is high for the affordable (as in around $2,000) houses, so be ready to put in an application quickly if you see one you like. There are some large apartments, too, that are within your budget; some of them are right by or facing Garfield Park, which would be an ideal location for a family. (although anywhere in South Pas would be fine). The apartment buildings in South Pasadena are a mix of historic and newer. I like the old ones better myself, but some of the newer ones are more likely come with pools (which might be an added plus if you have a 5 year old).

Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
The Western SGV makes sense, assuming the selling is to industrial firms.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
You could consider El Segundo. $2K will get you a decent apartment and the school system is well-regarded. While it's not "central," there is quick, easy access to the 105 Fwy that runs east-west. So there's relatively easy access to the north-south freeways 405, 110, 710 and 605.

However, if a good deal of time is spent in the Valley, this would not be a good option.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,026 times
$350,000 should be okay for you to buy a condo or townhouse with a small backyard.
If you need more information: you can email me @ kellydeng1209@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles