U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 7,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why is it then, that the guys that I see selling ice cream, shaved ice, etc have holes in their shoes and are missing a tooth or two?
Uhm maybe because you live in Alabama? C'mon use your noggin before asking stupid questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagotoLA View Post
So since California is so expensive, how do people make enough money to support themselves? That's what I don't understand.

And how does LA compare to Chicago and New York as far as business goes? As I plan on pursuing a degree in business finance and how competitive is that in the job field?
Yes, California can be expensive, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily out-of-reach. If you have a clear vision of what you want and are persistent, I believe you can do anything. My husband and I aren't living a "conventional" life (I work part-time and he's freelance) and yet we've managed to make it work while enjoying our lives at the same time. Preparation and belief are key. But be flexible, our lives aren't exactly the way we envisioned they would be when we were your age, but they do reflect our core beliefs. Be clear about why you want what you want. Chances are there are several things you could do that will still be in alignment with your desires.

In answer to the second portion of your question, LA is competitive, all you have to do is look at the numbers on that one, 4 million people in less than 500 square miles. As to how LA compares to Chicago and NY, I haven't a clue. I would imagine that would be largely dependent upon the demand for your product and your ability to make your product available to as many people as possible. LA is huge and there isn't really one place where most people converge, except maybe the freeways, hmmmm.....

Follow your gut and enjoy the journey!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM

66 posts, read 136,805 times
Okay, far be it from me to stand in the way of someone's dream. Try Los Feliz and Silverlake for young people and members of the creative class. It's still an hour commute to the beach though, because of traffic.

As to the question of how people afford to live in LA... well, most don't. LA, like most big cities on the coasts, is a playground for the rich and a welfare distribution point for the poor. There's no middle class within city proper. Most of the money created comes from those in the entertainment industry or tourism, as aerospace is gone. The giant public sector also provides a good living if you can get in.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,821,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Superhero View Post

As to the question of how people afford to live in LA... well, most don't.

Most of the money created comes from those in the entertainment industry or tourism,

aerospace is gone.
Is this true?

Is this true?

Is this true?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:50 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,584,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagotoLA View Post
Uhm maybe because you live in Alabama? C'mon use your noggin before asking stupid questions.

Maybe that what you should do USE YOUR NOGGIN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles