Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 PM

35 posts, read 122,925 times

Advertisements

Ok...I want to move to Los angeles but I have some questions..How bad is traffic...I know its bad..But will I be spending most of my day in it? How is cost of living?? And is it fairly easy to find a job?? I have my high school diploma...So is it worth moving to LA??? Is it all hype??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro5621 View Post
Ok...I want to move to Los angeles but I have some questions..How bad is traffic...I know its bad..But will I be spending most of my day in it? How is cost of living?? And is it fairly easy to find a job?? I have my high school diploma...So is it worth moving to LA??? Is it all hype??
Spend some time reading even a week's worth of recent posts and you'll get most of your answers. In short: traffic is bad, whether you'll be spending your day in it depends on where you work and where you live (that's why the suggestion is usually to live near your work, if possible), and NO, it is absolutely not easy to get a job in LA right now. The LA economy is worse than in most parts of the country, and unemployment rates are very high.

LA's a great place to live, but with no job and low prospects for a decent paying job, you could easily be one of the many who arrive expecting paradise and then shocked with the reality. Have you visited? I'm getting the impression not; why not start with a vacation? Or, if you are considering any kind of future school (college, community college, technical training, whatever), you could consider doing that in LA.

I'm all for adventure and trying out new places, especially if young and without dependents, but this is a bad time to take a chance on LA, unless you have a backup plan, a sense of adventure, and the understanding that LA the myth is not LA the reality for most people.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:07 PM

I expected that answer...The traffic really ruined it for me lol...Can not stand waiting in a car
I would rather go somewhere with light traffic and bad weather than be in LA and wait all that time in traffic..Know anywhere else in california that would appeal to someone who is looking for low costs of living?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
California isn't known for its low cost of living. You might want to cast your net wider and consider other states, too; states like Texas seem to be faring better on the job front, the weather is warm, and I'm assuming traffic is better, or at least not any worse. You could try posting something on the general CA forum, but I think the answer will be that the cheapest places to live are the ones that also have the highest unemployment rates. It's a tough year for anyone who wants to move to CA, unfortunately.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Rent in Killeen, TX for a small 2 bedroom in a slightly shady area of apartments built in the last 20 years = $500 a month.

Rent in Los Angeles for a small 2 bedroom in a slightly shady area of apartments built 60 years ago and deteriorated badly = $1500 a month.

Nuff said.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 PM

Yea...I wont end up moving to LA...To much...Maybe later in my life though??? But Im only 19 so....Im thinking about indianapolis...or greenbay...Rent is way better...No traffic..

Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro5621 View Post
Yea...I wont end up moving to LA...To much...Maybe later in my life though??? But Im only 19 so....Im thinking about indianapolis...or greenbay...Rent is way better...No traffic..
Another way of looking at it, Southern California for a single, renting, early 20s person with a decent job is probably a lot more manageable or doable than it is for a 30s, married, person interested in owning a house in a good school district. The former can rent near where he works and not worry too much about neighborhood and schools. The married guy may find it challenging to find the right combination of schools, affordability, and commuting. I'd rather be single in LA and be married w/kids in Huntsville than married w/kids in LA and single in Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles