Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,527 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the west Chicago suburbs and I dislike it here. Chicago is a beautiful city in the spring time but it's unbearable during the winter months as the breeze from Lake Michigan casts over the city and the summer's get really really hot. The suburbs are really boring and I've wanted to move to California for a while but I finally had a chance to visit a few weeks ago and I enjoyed my time there. I officially visited San Diego, but I made my way up to Los Angeles twice and the views off the highway were unbelievable. Just waking up to the warm sun and the cool breeze put me in a good mood.

Here's the deal though, I am 18 and plan on moving with a friend of mine. I plan on taking a year off from college to open up my own ice cream business. I'll be saving up money to rent a place as will he and we will hopefully make it together as I know LA is a very expensive place to rent. What would be the best neighborhood for two outgoing 18 year olds to live in the LA area? I don't want to be too far from the city. I don't know what my budget should be but I am thinking of somewhere betwee 1,200-1,400 between the two of us.

Also, what are the positives and negatives of living in LA? I know the traffic is one, but how is the nightlife and is it a fun place to live on a daily basis. I know it's better than the midwest because this weather makes me miserable but I just want to hear some of your thoughts.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagotoLA View Post
I currently live in the west Chicago suburbs and I dislike it here. Chicago is a beautiful city in the spring time but it's unbearable during the winter months as the breeze from Lake Michigan casts over the city and the summer's get really really hot. The suburbs are really boring and I've wanted to move to California for a while but I finally had a chance to visit a few weeks ago and I enjoyed my time there. I officially visited San Diego, but I made my way up to Los Angeles twice and the views off the highway were unbelievable. Just waking up to the warm sun and the cool breeze put me in a good mood.

Here's the deal though, I am 18 and plan on moving with a friend of mine. I plan on taking a year off from college to open up my own ice cream business. I'll be saving up money to rent a place as will he and we will hopefully make it together as I know LA is a very expensive place to rent. What would be the best neighborhood for two outgoing 18 year olds to live in the LA area? I don't want to be too far from the city. I don't know what my budget should be but I am thinking of somewhere between 1,200-1,400 between the two of us.

Also, what are the positives and negatives of living in LA? I know the traffic is one, but how is the nightlife and is it a fun place to live on a daily basis. I know it's better than the midwest because this weather makes me miserable but I just want to hear some of your thoughts.

thanks.

1)You've never ACTUALLY visited Los Angeles, but already make all these presumptions before living there. You should really take the time and visit the areas you think be the best fit for you. Make a list of what you like, and see what areas of LA would be the best fit for you. Lucky for you, the internet exists and a wealth of information is online.

2) I'll be frank with you; what exactly is your business plan? How will you pay for licensing? How will you distribute ice cream? Where will you distribute? You need to think this one through.

3) Nightlife is irrelevant until 21. Unless you're willing to drive a lot (are you going to bring a car?) to 18-and-over clubs (which I personally hate), then nightlife isn't that great.

In short, really think this one through! If your heart is set on coming to LA, I think you should do it (if it really makes you that happy).

Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Here's the deal though, I am 18 and plan on moving with a friend of mine. I plan on taking a year off from college to open up my own ice cream business.
Think positive. Follow your dreams. Don't listen to the naysayers. You only live once.

You two could be the next Ben and Jerry.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Think positive. Follow your dreams. Don't listen to the naysayers. You only live once.

You two could be the next Ben and Jerry.

SURE AND THE PERSON WILL FALL ON THEIR FACE........SAYING I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED....... 18 is a legal but still a child with no life experience, education or work experience.......... Big dreams little life experience can make a naive person be prey to the evil...........

and stay far from Lindsey and Paris or you may end up like Tila or Casey

Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
1)You've never ACTUALLY visited Los Angeles, but already make all these presumptions before living there. You should really take the time and visit the areas you think be the best fit for you. Make a list of what you like, and see what areas of LA would be the best fit for you. Lucky for you, the internet exists and a wealth of information is online.

2) I'll be frank with you; what exactly is your business plan? How will you pay for licensing? How will you distribute ice cream? Where will you distribute? You need to think this one through.

3) Nightlife is irrelevant until 21. Unless you're willing to drive a lot (are you going to bring a car?) to 18-and-over clubs (which I personally hate), then nightlife isn't that great.

In short, really think this one through! If your heart is set on coming to LA, I think you should do it (if it really makes you that happy).

Read this a few times and memorise it..........could not have been said better.... fact pint this an post it on your fridge... SERIOUS!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Well actually I did visit LA. Santa Monica beach, Calabasas, Hollywood, New Port Beach, Anaheim, Venice, Marina Del Rey. I have a step dad and a step brother that live out in San Diego and an uncle that lives in Marina Del Rey. My has plans of moving to San Diego but I think I'd rather be in Los Angeles.

I also do plan on going to school there, but I'd rather not wait until I graduate college because I want to settle down and make friends while I'm in college. I was thinking about Miami or Los Angeles but I like California more.

I'll be taking my first year off and then hopefully USC or UCLA for business school. The business I plan on opening is a Hawain shaved ice business and I'm thinking about Venice as the spot as it seems like it would attract business although it is a little weird with all the bums.

It'll probably be expensive to rent out there which is why I'm working now to save money as is my friend. What do you guys think about daily life in LA? And what area would be the best for my budget.

I also plan on visiting again in the spring but I need to know what areas to look in at.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
I think you should consider enrolling in college first and launching your business while in school. Could make for an interesting business class project.

Some of the greatest business ideas in history have been incubated in college dorm rooms: Microsoft, Facebook, Dell, Napster, etc.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
I plan on taking a year off from college to open up my own ice cream business.
Check out the number of Coldstone Creamery stores that have been or will be closed due to the recession here. Maybe a different retail idea? Venice will be costly for commercial leasing. (But I do empathize with you, as my parents were from the Chicago area and once they moved here, they never wanted to go back except to visit.)

Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 AM

I didn't want to leave Cali either. But how about a Hawain shaved ice business on Venice? I think it'd be a pretty good business idea as there are many people who walk up and down the beach every single day. How much do you think it would take to lease a place on Venice?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 AM

158 posts, read 660,518 times
Quote:
How much do you think it would take to lease a place on Venice?
The fact that you are asking this shows you aren't ready.

Not trying to be a prick, and anyone who has seen my past responses knows I'm all about taking risks and going with your heart...If you have a solid plan of sorts though.

You have a good idea, but without any business education, how the hell do you plan on success? You have tons of research to do before opening a business...even a small one.

If anything, make the move and get into school, then see how to go about this. I'd fear that even if the business did work out, it might be a barrier to getting back into school.

best of luck man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles