Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,456 times

Advertisements

On the 2nd Thursday of each month, the "Downtown Artwalk" is held in downtown LA's "Gallery Row" area and it is TRULY AMAZING to see the throngs of people shuffling down the sidewalks and visiting the galleries.

You'd think you were in Old Town Pasadena or Santa Monica or dare I say San Francisco or NYC!!!!

I highly recommend checking the event out if you have not been. Forget Old Town Pasadena or the 3rd Street Promenade...those are for TOURISTS!

If you want to see cutting edge Los Angeles, I suggest venturing to Gallery Row for the Artwalk. There is live music on the streets, creative people in costumes walking around, numerous art galleries open to the public, and most important PEOPLE WALKING IN LA!!!

Call it LA's once a month Mardi Gras! Ok, that might be a little overblown but it is really very cool.

I have no connection to the event, except that I am a former downtown resident and watch with a gleeful eye as the area transitions from a ghost town to a truly vibrant area with housing, retail, jobs, entertainment, and art/culture.

Check this website for more info:
2nd Thursday of every month*|*Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
its cool, but its becoming like a circus. and its being over run by frat boys and other college kids. it should be about the ART.

none the less its a great event, but i usually avoid DTLA on those days (unless a friend is exhibiting)

Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 PM

305 posts, read 771,320 times
LOL, that's what I was trying to say before! The DTLA Art Walk is probably the best example of neighborhood revitalization and is the best thing since sliced bread. If you think it's great now, wait until they bring back Broadway and revitalize that. This is a prime example of L.A. going on the up and up, with the upcoming Grand Ave. Park on one side, L.A. Live on the other side, and Broadway and this in the middle.

On second thought, nah, DTLA is a drug ridden, bum fillled, urine soaked wasteland. Don't waste your time there folks.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,167 times
Is downtown LA like SOHO in NYC.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:02 PM

305 posts, read 771,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Is downtown LA like SOHO in NYC.
The equivalent of SoHo would be the Melrose District.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
The equivalent of SoHo would be the Melrose District.
I will disagree slightly. In terms of the historic turn-of-the-century buildigns Downtown LA's Gallery Row/Spring Street area is SIMILAR to SOHO. The plethora of art galleries also gives it a similar feel. But for upscale stores MELROSE is certainly a closer fit to SOHO.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 74,409 times
Downtown L.A. is VERY similar to NYC, including all the pedestrians. (It even has a subway system.)

Last edited by da8509; 03-19-2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
LOL. You know, I think downtown's bad reputation has scared the Applebys, Olive Gardens away. Instead we have great Local, homegrown restaurants like Pete's Cafe, Blossoms, Nickel Diner, et al.

Just keep on moving- nothing to see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
LOL, that's what I was trying to say before! The DTLA Art Walk is probably the best example of neighborhood revitalization and is the best thing since sliced bread. If you think it's great now, wait until they bring back Broadway and revitalize that. This is a prime example of L.A. going on the up and up, with the upcoming Grand Ave. Park on one side, L.A. Live on the other side, and Broadway and this in the middle.

On second thought, nah, DTLA is a drug ridden, bum fillled, urine soaked wasteland. Don't waste your time there folks.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its cool, but its becoming like a circus. and its being over run by frat boys and other college kids. it should be about the ART.

none the less its a great event, but i usually avoid DTLA on those days (unless a friend is exhibiting)
The downtown galleries are filled with "artists" who seem to make "art" as a hobby. The only interesting galleries are in the WeHo/Melrose area and a few others not in the downtown area. Of course this is subjective, yes I understand.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,487 times
^^ yeah, I don't agree about weho/melrose... but yes. DTLA is not a "real" contemporary art scene. It trends much more heavily toward lowbrow (like say, venice).

The "real" art galleries are in Culver City and Chinatown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles