U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 PM

5,494 posts, read 13,316,424 times

Advertisements

Please explain 'real' art galleries. Are the ones downtown fake? Also I've been to many art walks and local art scenes from Seattle to New York and I don't find dt L.A.s any less talented. I met some really talented photographers at Art Walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,965,571 times
So, I'm just a lowbrow slug for digging what I saw at MOCA...?!?!? Or are you talking about the 'Art Walk' lowbrow slugs?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:33 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,752,387 times
Anyone been to the Brewery Art Walk on Main? I think I'm gonna check it out. The spring event is on April 16-17.

Yeah, I get the point about some lowbrow, street fair work. But that's part of the vitality of art, and L.A. has always trucked in those lowbrow/highbrow tensions. Robert Williams, anyone? C'mon, take that away and it's an utterly sterile audience (and artist) exercise. Gimme some drug riddled, bum filled, urine soaked street life.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,707,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Anyone been to the Brewery Art Walk on Main? I think I'm gonna check it out. The spring event is on April 16-17.
I have and ... eh.

Quote:
... C'mon, take that away and it's an utterly sterile audience (and artist) exercise. Gimme some drug riddled, bum filled, urine soaked street life.
I guess everyone has their criterion for what constitutes as art. ;]

Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,707,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Please explain 'real' art galleries. Are the ones downtown fake? Also I've been to many art walks and local art scenes from Seattle to New York and I don't find dt L.A.s any less talented. I met some really talented photographers at Art Walk.
Seattle has an art scene? Kidding ... somewhat.

I don't get why the comparisons need to be made from other cities. And depending on how you look at your statement, I suppose it could be true, though I don't think you intended it to mean 'worse'.

Ah, NYC, are you speaking of the Chelsea area where galleries and galleries are piled and butted up next to each other ... er yeah, I agree that it's not 'any less talented'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
So, I'm just a lowbrow slug for digging what I saw at MOCA...?!?!? ...
MOCA is interesting, definitely mixes its art 'views'. I saw the Lucien Freud exhibition there, it was a superb exhibition -- definitely world class, I have to applaud MOCA for holding such an exhibition as that particular 'view' seems to be subsided by the eye-sore philosophy of Post-modernism.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 PM

940 posts, read 1,779,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I put it in quotes because that's where the word belongs. Of course there is no such thing as "real" artists and "fake" artists. Of course art is subjective. I'm just talking about perceptions in the art world.

DT as a scene (and no, I don't mean museums like MOCA) is mostly a local scene that is primarily viewed as lowbrow by the "art establishment."

The intellectual art elite being trained at CalArts, USC, and UCLA is not looking to be shown at artwalk. LA's "hot" art scene right now that gets all the international press is happening elsewhere.

(And yes, personally, I can't stand the galleries downtown or at the brewery--I lump them together--and artwalk makes me want to barf. But I guess I'm just that highbrow pretentious prick. just being honest.)

Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 PM

5,494 posts, read 13,316,424 times
So the ones that 'are trained' are the elite? OMG!!! Trained or not trained I thought it was a god giving talent!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 PM

940 posts, read 1,779,885 times
nope. You gotta pay the big bucks (or have someone pay the big bucks for you) to learn how to be a real artist.

I mean, honestly... I really do only like art that's on the highbrow high-culture level, that's hyper-culturally aware. Art that isn't aware is not only boring to me, it's also annoying because it often comes with an edgy attitude that can't be backed up. Nothing is more annoying to me than stuff that tries to be pretentious/shocking/raw/etc. when it's really just boring/overdone/derivative (ugh burning man..)

Art doesn't need to be any of those things... but a lot of bad artists seem to think so.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,971,289 times
I went yesterday, had a blast. I'm no art critic, but I enjoyed the large gallery on 7th and Spring more than the Guggenheim (two pieces of wood on the floor is not art, it's Home Depot, sorry).

Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM

63 posts, read 132,056 times
If it wasn't for artwalk, I would not have found out about the renaissance that DTLA is going through. It finally feels like "downtown." All the fun bars are a short walk from each other, catering to every taste. The galleries themselves are a blast. Not to mention the restaurants and food trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles