Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:54 AM

13 posts, read 111,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violone View Post
I am a student at CGU, so I can sympathize with what you are dealing with. I'll have to warn you, though, that your price range is going to be right at the (bottom) edge of what is available (unless you plan to room with someone). There are apartments available for under around 850-900, but tough to find. Claremont would definitely be ideal, but that is, most likely, going to be the most expensive city in the area. Upland would be great too, but still at the high end of everything. I think your best bet is to look at Montclair, Pomona or Chino. Those areas are all "less-desireable," and the rent costs are, therefore, lower. There are areas of those cities, though, that are actually pretty good, but since they are still, technically, "Pomona," or "Montclair," they are cheaper. Right on the borders of these towns might be best (where Pomona and La Verne/Claremont meet or where Montclair and Claremont/Upland meet). Chino is tougher as there are pockets of "nice". You can contact me, if you want, and I might be able to help you find something.
FYI, I am currently renting a two bedroom for $895. That is an almost un-heard-of price. The folks who own my building own about 15 others all on this same block, all going for around the same price (my old, one bedroom was $750!). I am sure that there are openings fairly often. One of their tricks is that they rarely advertise...keeps everything low! The area is really not too bad. Much better than "Pomona" is supposed to be...
As far as commuting goes, I am able to ride a bicycle to and from school, so that is not an issue for me. If you don't look any farther than Rancho Cucamonga (to the east) or Glendora (to the west), you won't really notice much of a "commute," I don't think.

Hate to turn this to a gang conversation but the border of La Verne, Claremont, and Pomona is an area known as "Ghost Town" or in other words Crip Country....not a good place to be, esspecially comin from Berklee, we'll eat you up!!! Dont be to comfortable though, South Claremont does have gang problems..city just covers them up to keep prices up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 26,777 times
Default surrounding gangs

claremont and laverne are the best areas because they have no gangs. out of the surronding cities, pomona and san dimas have the most gangs. gangs in pomona: 12 street, pomona sur 13, cherryville, happytown, and islands bloods. sandimas gangs are: san dimas rifa 13, skin heads, lc- loco chicanos, and 200 blocc crips aka yf young fellas.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,069,030 times
I think you have severly narrowed your search with your price range. You might want to try Montclair.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,314,544 times
Stick close to school. Claremont is a perfectly respectible place to live. Nice neighborhoods, it's clean and no worries about crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles