Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktales View Post
Yeah But These Latino Gang Bangers Aint Got Nothing Better To Than To Start Trouble. They Are Losers And Everybody Out Here Is Sick Of Them, Me Included.

Why Dont These Gang Bangers Get A Job Or Leave La, Or Better Yet Commit Suicide.
Actually, the Black gang bangers were targeting innocent civilians before these recent retaliations.

BornDC: The killings of innocents stem from earlier incidents and unless you move into a disputed area between Latino and Black gangs, you will be fine.
This is nothing new other than the media exposure.
And also, if you associate with a Black gang banger, how would an outsider know if you are a gang banger or not? So another part is not making dumb choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 08:04 AM

89 posts, read 499,566 times
Rob, where did they live in Lakewood? And what is your current perception based on?

I moved away from lakewood in 1995 and at that time I still considered it relatively safe, compared to other areas of Southern California.

But I was on the West Side of the San Gabriel River. The small part of Lakewood that is on the East side of the river had gang problems back then. That dividing line made a huge difference.

Yet, with as safe as it felt there, we locked our doors religiously and took security measures. Even with that, our car was stolen from in front of our house, by gang types, in the early 90s. But that can happen anyplace.

I had friends in Lakewood in the '60s, but that was a whole 'nuther time and Lakewood was fresh and pretty new then.

It's such a shame what has happened to California. I was born in 1945, and much of Long Beach was the lovely place people thought it was. It had its rough areas, but it was a pretty calm, laid back town. Yes, there were racial issues. But for Southern California, it was a largely a good quality of life.

(BTW, for anyone who doesn't know. Long Beach and Lakewood share a border.)

When the Watts riots happened, the mood shifted some, things changed. And California began to grow in population as well. Over the years things got more expensive.

And now looking at today's California from my vantage point in Kansas (LOL), California's economy seems out of control. When I drive up and down the length of California, I cannot believe the traffic. In the 60s and 70s I used to drive up 101 and there were long stretches with hardly any traffic, believe it or not.

Gilroy back in those days, well, if you blinked you were through it without knowing you'd passed it already. But today it has grown, almost out of control.

The traffic out there just stuns me today. No more leisurely drives up the coast! Oh, and the stretch between San Diego and Long Beach? Back in the 60s I used to drive that and it was a wonderful drive with big empty spots, just gorgeous. Today it's all developed, the whole way I believe, and the traffic is horrendous.

What they did to Morro Bay State Park is criminal IMHO. It used to be so comfortable and lovely. Today it's just ugly. Morro Bay is neat, but that campground has been ruined, IMHO.

Ah well, excuse the rant. I'm just so sad sometimes about what happened to California. I'm a native Californian. California is my home state, and I can never return to live due to the economy and the fact that I just enjoy having some elbow room. But I will always miss the California I grew up in.

Janet

Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Yes, Racial Tension is Very High in So Cal. Something that was new to me as well. It was not like this where I come from. People get along much better in New Mexico.

And it does go both ways. Blacks kill blacks, blacks kill latinos, latinos kill blacks, and latinos kill latinos. The whites smoke up all the meth. I find it funny that a lot of posters auto assume that if the people are white they are safe. not the case. Los Angeles has a big problem and it is everyone's fault that lives here.

A black friend of mine and I were talking and he asked me if he would have trouble because of his skin in New Mexico...he thought he would. I told him hell no, Las Cruces is not like Los Angeles...people do not care what color you are. I was never brought up like that and my friends were not brought up like that. Race and "Status" is not an issue in Las Cruces like it is in Los Angeles.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:29 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I find it funny that a lot of posters auto assume that if the people are white they are safe. not the case.
You may find it funny, but the sad part is that it is quite often true.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
You may find it funny, but the sad part is that it is quite often true.
Reginald Denny made the same assumption on April 29, 1992. By the end of that fateful day, Denny and countless others realized that skin color has nothing to do with one's safety in Los Angeles.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 PM

35 posts, read 143,690 times
The high desert is also experiencing racial tension between latinos and african americans... however the caucasion people are also being targeted. Just choose wisely and educate yourself about the areas and you should be fine. The weather is great!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 PM

268 posts, read 890,173 times
Just stay out of Inglewood, compton, bell gardens, south central, or east LA...you'll be alright!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:37 PM

37 posts, read 338,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d5069 View Post
Actually, the Black gang bangers were targeting innocent civilians before these recent retaliations.

BornDC: The killings of innocents stem from earlier incidents and unless you move into a disputed area between Latino and Black gangs, you will be fine.
This is nothing new other than the media exposure.
And also, if you associate with a Black gang banger, how would an outsider know if you are a gang banger or not? So another part is not making dumb choices.
Yeah but from what I have seen, read, and heard, Black gang bangers are more than likely to blast somebody (i.e. rival gang sets) that desrves it.

Latino cats on the other hand are on racist and sick roller coaster ride. They have to be stopped.

A lot of police busts have been happening lately, but they have been on Black gangs nonetheless.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:45 AM

119 posts, read 881,232 times
Lakewood, is fine. East Lakewood is rough many African-American and Latino live there. I live in Hawaiian Gardens(28 years but moving to Chicago area) which surrounded by Lakewood on the North and East very Latino about 70%. I being African-American Hawaiian Gardens has been difficult in last 10 years during the mid 90's gang members here in HG tried to force us out by using threats, some firebombing a home or two. Many stood our ground. Most Latinos are nice and friendly. Most of the native born Latinos as well many whites and African-American (friends and Classmates from Artesia High( Go Pioneers) have moved to Orange County. Others moved to Los Altos , Belmont Shores and The Plaza district in Long Beach. Still others moved to Riverside and San Bernadino Counties. Look at Downey, Bellflower, Cerritos,Cypress; La Palma, Buena Park,Los Alamitos;Closer to LA check out Culver City and Inglewood's Morningside Heights section ,in the Westside of LA: Marina Del Rey,Playa Del Rey,Playa Vista; Baldwin Hills, Lemiert Park; Pico /Robertson Area, Fairfax Village,Larchmont Village; Brentwood, Westwood Westchester Area. Also the West San Fernando Valley west of the San Diego Freeway(I-405)are very nice. Also the south SFV(Below Victory Blvd) areas of Sherman Oaks, Valley Glen, North Hollywood;Valley Village, Studio City, Toulca Lake, Plus Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Altadena, La Canda-Flintridge; Arcadia,and South Pasadena. I know this is a lot but I Hope this Helps

Old 05-27-2007, 09:41 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgclyde View Post
Also the south SFV(Below Victory Blvd) areas of Sherman Oaks, Valley Glen, North Hollywood;Valley Village, Studio City, Toulca Lake.
I live in the San Fernando Valley, and I'd say you should stay south of Burbank Blvd. or even Chandler. Just my humble opinion, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles