U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM

23 posts, read 66,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Just re-read it. You did say eastside specifically. Sorry.

My general point is I was trying to clarify that most residents I know do use the term East Long Beach and they are referring to the neighborhoods east of Redondo typically. I never hear the term "eastside" except in rap songs. But then again, I don't know anybody from said area.
Fair enough, I wasn't really trying to get there anyways, I just was trying to explain why so many people in these forums think North Long Beach is the worst part, eatside or "central" aka east of the LA "river" is the worst area of Long Beach by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 8,684 times
Compton lynwood watts dominguez long beach south central east la inglewood willowbrook westmont boyle hieghts the rest of the city wishes they were dangerous only mexicans and blacks live here but mostly mexicans its like tijuana over here

Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM

4,811 posts, read 9,014,437 times
Compton is definitely not a good area. Same with Watts and I have heard parts of Long Beach aren't too good either.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 08-20-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,127,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
Compton is definitely not a good area. Same with Watts and I have heard Long Beach isn't too good either.
I'd qualify that with parts of Long Beach. Parts of Long Beach are very nice, such as; Bixby Knolls, California Heights, Belmont Shore, Alamitos Heights, Naples.

Last edited by LASam; 08-20-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,695,357 times
Stay out of Irvine, the rent will kill ya

Old 08-22-2010, 05:04 PM

938 posts, read 3,737,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALWD View Post
Compton lynwood watts dominguez long beach south central east la inglewood willowbrook westmont boyle hieghts the rest of the city wishes they were dangerous only mexicans and blacks live here but mostly mexicans its like tijuana over here
+ various parts of Westlake, Rampart, and Pico-Union. And specifically within South LA: Central-Alameda, Vermont/Slauson, the many bad news areas between Western/Central and Slauson/Manchester. Pretty much anywhere along the 105 is to be avoided by tourists (and many locals, too); Athens, Watts, and Willowbrook especially, but really, anywhere from Normandie to Alameda, and Manchester to 120th St is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,105 times
Default Avoid Glendale

unless you want to get run over by crazy Armenian kids in their illegal leased
cars,smoked out by their cigarettes or are wild about kabobs restaurants on every corner, And if you work hard,have no health insurance,don't be offended by these Armenians who drive new cars,flash their food stamps and medi-cal cards at the markets.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,313 times
Okay, first time posting here and although it's an old post, there may be people reading this thread for the first time looking for good solid info like I was a few weeks back when I was researching areas to live in, and want to return the favor.

Before I give my feedback, lemme just say to the ppl who complain about why people ask about bad areas, it's prolly cuz they don't want to get killed or robbed! F...ing A, like that's a crime?? They care about their family, coming into a new area, and just want the lowdown. Just answer or don't answer at all. They're not picking on any ethnicity per se, they just want the scoop so they don't get shanked. Plus, they're women. I just hate it when a guy types on a forum, "don't come to L.A., I've never had any problems" Well, no sh.t sherlock, you're a big dude. If you're a guy, it is different. If you're a decent looking girl, low class guys will potentially hassle ya. I'm a person of color and have lived in both ghetto places and nice places and ppl are justified in asking these questions. I've grown up in urban cities and f-d up stuff does happen. I only ask the people who are concerned about safety keep in mind that not all ppl of color are bad people and not be quick to judge. That's why ppl do get upset when ppl ask questions about safe areas. They automatically assume you're judging them. And to the ppl of color who get upset at ppl asking these questions, don't pretend like sh*t doesn't happen in certain areas and act mad when ppl on a forum ask questions like what areas are safe and what aren't. If you went to another country, you'd probably want to know too.

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way, here are my thoughts.

Hollywood, to me, was safe during the day and plenty of nightclubs at night, but it's not as glamorous as you think. In fact, a friend mentioned to me that most of the actors and actresses wouldn't be caught dead in Hollywood. Unless you've got good reason to go to South L.A. or East L.A., stay away from there. If any Japanese or European tourists were there, they probably just didn't know the lowdown. There's also an area in downtown called Skid Row where you never want to visit. A bigger version of the Tenderloin neighborhood in San Francisco. Also, while I haven't experienced any crime, from the research I've done, you don't want to be out at night alone, especially if you're a girl. West L.A. is nice, the sunset strip is nice, santa monica is nice but I've heard there are also areas that can be just as dangerous there as well so do your research. Koreatown, while not so pretty, seemed to have a lot of restaurants and bars. You might not understand what they're saying or eating, but at least you won't get shot, but once you go south of wilshire, diff story. In fact, someone tried to break into my rental car while I was on the sidewalk (right in front of my eyes). FYI - Was not a Korean person.

To summarize, just do research and the more information you discover, you'll find out which parts of L.A. are fun to visit and/or to live. Just keep in mind that people of different ethnicities are good people. Sadly, there are also people that give those same ethnicities bad reps.

I was in the process of moving to the Valley in Van Nuys and just when I found a place, did some research and found out several murders had occured in the specific neighborhood in recent years. WTF?? I should be concerned about where to buy groceries not where to avoid getting shot. So for anybody moving or visiting, research research research. I heard Pasadena was cool, but did some research and found out Northwest Pasadena is ghetto. Or anywhere north of 210. Old Pasadena is supposed to be safer.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,988,392 times
Problem is you can't just label one area as safe or unsafe. Different areas have varying degrees of safety. There are parts of Koreatown right around Wilshire Blvd I'd feel safe walking around, even at night. But then there are parts of Koreatown (further to the north) where I've been afraid to walk around even in broad daylight. Downtown has safe areas right where all the action is, then Skid Row is a few blocks away.

Then there are areas that are supposed to be completely safe but still have high rates of theft. Hancock Park is famous for having a lot of car theft and breakins. Its an expensive very wealthy neighborhoods but borders Koreatown and is not far from Westlake, so it's easier for criminals to commit property theft there rather than the Pacific Palisades. Also, West Hollywood has seen a recent uptick in property theft and armed robbery.

Since no area is totally safe it's best to go to places during the daytime, and if you go out at night go to crowded areas where lots of people are.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,070,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Problem is you can't just label one area as safe or unsafe. Different areas have varying degrees of safety. There are parts of Koreatown right around Wilshire Blvd I'd feel safe walking around, even at night. But then there are parts of Koreatown (further to the north) where I've been afraid to walk around even in broad daylight. Downtown has safe areas right where all the action is, then Skid Row is a few blocks away.

Then there are areas that are supposed to be completely safe but still have high rates of theft. Hancock Park is famous for having a lot of car theft and breakins. Its an expensive very wealthy neighborhoods but borders Koreatown and is not far from Westlake, so it's easier for criminals to commit property theft there rather than the Pacific Palisades. Also, West Hollywood has seen a recent uptick in property theft and armed robbery.

Since no area is totally safe it's best to go to places during the daytime, and if you go out at night go to crowded areas where lots of people are.
I'm sure the Westside has the highest rates for home invasions. That's where the wealth resides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles