U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 08:42 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,986,886 times

Advertisements

There was a string of robberies in Bel Air, but they are pretty rare in most other parts of the Westside. I suspect palisades is a bit too remote .
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:12 AM

1,632 posts, read 2,399,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelahasinyello View Post
I moved to Northridge a few years ago and have yet to run into the bad areas...
I lived there from 1995 to 1997 near Chase and Reseda and there was a pretty busy crack spot on Parthenia between Tampa and Vanalden. Not sure what that area is like now, I haven't been back.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 46,045 times
Default LA bad areas

As part of my job, I travel to many areas and work out on the streets many times, I see a lot of things that go on, as part of my work crime studies are one of the aspects.

for La itself, the worst place you can be is Skid row, also much of south Los Angeles (renamed from South Central LA but it did not make any difference) South LA especially around the Crenshaw corridor between 40th and 100th is pretty much a no no and guaranteed something is going to happen to you if you spend any considerable time there.

Compton, Watts, Lynwood, Athens and surrounding areas, all very highly active in gang activity as is much of East LA.

As a general rule anything away from the beaches in LA is really not that good, there are a few exceptions.

Most likely the worst area in my opinion where you can pretty much guarantee something will happen to you is Inglewood.

Leaving LA but staying in LA county the further you travel East things get a little better, there are exceptions though, El Monte is improving, once a barrio for mainly Latino families, it is slowly being redeveloped by Asians, much of the problems are moving to neighboring Baldwin Park, this City has a pretty big problem with crime.
Neighboring Covina, West Covina, San Dimas, La Verne etc. are all respectable Cities and you can feel reasonably safe in these Cities.

Moving to the North of Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley is pretty much the same thing, an extention of Los Angeles on a smaller scale, further out things get really nice when you get to Ventura county, Simi Valley, Calabasas etc.

Going further East into what is known as the Inland Empire, low cost housing and lack of employment make many of these areas undesirable, there are some exceptions but in all honesty you need to head South or South East from LA (excluding Orange County) to really find solstice, Temecula, Murietta etc. are all respectable but try going to Fontana or Moreno Valley and you will find yourself in a different World, maybe one you would rather not be in.

To close out Los Angeles is a major metropolitan area covering a large swath of land, it has it's problems just like any other major metropolitan area, what makes LA different is the fact that it does not have a center, it's just a whole bunch of cities within a city, each one has it's up's and down's, some more so than others.

If you are a tourist, avoid South LA (used to be South Central), East LA, Inglewood (Torrance which is a neighbor to Inglewood is much better) , also the much acclaimed Hollywood has areas you really do not want to be in, stick to the tourist areas and you will most likely be fine.

Orange County, this is where many major attractions are such as Disneyland, pretty much is ok, although do not go into unknown neighborhoods especially after dark.

Other areas to avoid are Santa Ana if you can and surrounding areas, although you will be safer than much of South LA there.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,067,747 times
Crime can happen anywhere in Los Angeles, but it's even worse in areas such as East Los Angeles, parts of South Central (especially east of the 110 Freeway), East Hollywood, and inner portions of the San Fernando Valley, and parts of Venice. Crime isn't as bad though as it was in the 80s and 90s. The only problem living in Los Angeles, to me, is there's residential burglaries which can happen anywhere, even in right neighborhoods.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 16,199 times
If you're a woman, or have kids, please check the sex offender database before moving ([url=http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/]California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General[/url]).
Beach cities are your best bet, but don't think that means you're totally safe. Crime happens everywhere. LA's huge and diverse--fantastic ethnic food everywhere, always something to do, great weather, etc. etc. Just don't be foolish or too trusting.
To anyone reading this forum with big dreams of life in LA, please, please, please don't move here from your small town thinking you're going to be a big star. You're not. You'll end up waiting tables, stripping or on the street within 6 months. Just be happy being the big fish in your small pond.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,466,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Crime can happen anywhere in Los Angeles, but it's even worse in areas such as East Los Angeles, parts of South Central (especially east of the 110 Freeway), East Hollywood, and inner portions of the San Fernando Valley, and parts of Venice. Crime isn't as bad though as it was in the 80s and 90s. The only problem living in Los Angeles, to me, is there's residential burglaries which can happen anywhere, even in right neighborhoods.
The worst LA neighborhoods for violent crime and the perception of violent crime are probably:

1. South LA
2. Watts
3. East LA

East Hollywood isn't that bad in comparison to the above places at all, but compared to Santa Monica you will get more guys hanging out on the corner.

The San Fernando Valley has a few rough spots namely Pacoima, Panorama City, and to a lesser extent Van Nuys and Winnetka. But again, nothing compared to the top 3.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM

829 posts, read 2,658,949 times
Watts is part of South L.A

Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 PM

421 posts, read 786,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This doesn't make much sense. Listing anything by neighborhood names won't do you any good, either, since you don't know the area.Most tourists don't accidentally fall into any dangerous neighborhoods; you'd really have to actively seek them out. You're better off just planning your trip and not worrying excessively about neighborhood safety; post some specific questions about specific places if you're really concerned.
Yes, I sooo agree. There are no gauranteed safe or dangerous areas in L.A. or any big city. Nowdays, hoodlums kinda leave the poorer hoods behind and gravitate towards so-called trendy, upscale or 'safer' areas, where they assume more people with money might be living or simply hanging out, carrying false senses of security round, ripe for the mugging.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:00 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,466,752 times
A lot of people do assume Hollywood is the neighborhood of glitz and glammer. North of Hollywood Blvd is ok, but still not great, although they have done a ton with Hollywood/Vine area.

The rest of the neighborhood is eh to wouldn't want to walk around at all. A lot of people assume Hollywood is the "Hollywood scene." Certainly not the case. A lot of Hollywood is gang infested and impoverished.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM

12 posts, read 32,966 times
I heard South Central, Glendale are pretty ghetto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles