Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 AM

449 posts, read 877,272 times

Advertisements

My two nieces and I are planning a trip to Los Angeles. We know that every big city has its share of dangerous areas, that is why we need your help, as we are three woman traveling together. We want to avoid going into these areas, or its surroundings.

Please, list them by neighborhood names. South/Central or South Los Angeles will be meaningless to us. We thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
My two nieces and I are planning a trip to Los Angeles. We know that every big city has its share of dangerous areas, that is why we need your help, as we are three woman traveling together. We want to avoid going into these areas, or its surroundings.

Please, list them by neighborhood names. South/Central or South Los Angeles will be meaningless to us. We thank you,
Do you want every single neighborhood by "worst" (whatever that means) to "best" listed?

Where do we draw the line? How do we know what the least "worst" city is?

Where are you staying and where are you going to travel to?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
Generally, the touristy areas and unsafe neighborhoods are not near enough to each other for you to need to worry. Unless you plan on checking out Leimart Park or the Watts Towers, you should be fine. As always, LA is a big city so you should always be street smart regardless of where you are... especially at night. You're from NYC so this shouldn't be anything new to you.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
This doesn't make much sense. Listing anything by neighborhood names won't do you any good, either, since you don't know the area.

Most tourists don't accidentally fall into any dangerous neighborhoods; you'd really have to actively seek them out. You're better off just planning your trip and not worrying excessively about neighborhood safety; post some specific questions about specific places if you're really concerned.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
If you don't know anything about the city or the county how can we really give you good advise about where not to go. Yes, south central would be at the top of the list, that is anyplace south of the downtown area, all the way to say Gardena or Torrance. Of course Watts and yes, East Los Angeles, but there is no way to list the cities.

You will probably be doing most of the touristy stuff so I wouldn't concern myself about area too much...Are you doing to be driving?

Nita

Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
this always makes me laugh! instead of focusing on theplaces to go, tourist want to focus on the places NOT to go.

set an itinerary, then check with us on the safety index of such places...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 PM

449 posts, read 877,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Generally, the touristy areas and unsafe neighborhoods are not near enough to each other for you to need to worry. Unless you plan on checking out Leimart Park or the Watts Towers, you should be fine. As always, LA is a big city so you should always be street smart regardless of where you are... especially at night. You're from NYC so this shouldn't be anything new to you.

I have been to the TOURISTS AREAS of California and now we want to do many other areas of Los Angeles, and not the Tourists areas. We are asking to name the AREA names, so that we will stay away from those. Thank you,

Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
It's still too broad: we don't know what you consider to be dangerous (it's subjective, to some degree), we don't know how broad an area you want to cover, etc. If you can list some neighborhoods or sites that you're thinking about visiting then people can give you some useful feedback. Or, if you're looking for advice on non-touristy areas to visit, let us know that, too, and we can give you some recommendations. You're also going to find conflicting ideas of what is safe and what isn't; we don't know where you fall on the paranoia/fear/caution scale, for one thing.

It's far, far more productive (and you're far more likely to actually get responses) if you can be specific about things you DO want to see, rather than what you don't.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
In most areas here there are often bad areas and good areas. If we say Long Beach, that would be of no use because LB has good and bad.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I have been to the TOURISTS AREAS of California and now we want to do many other areas of Los Angeles, and not the Tourists areas. We are asking to name the AREA names, so that we will stay away from those. Thank you,
But what we are trying to tell you, this really can't be done. Almost every section of Los Angeles has crime, but that doesn't mean they are not safe. There is no name for South Central for instance, except So Central. Highland Park and Lincoln Heights are not exactly places you would want to be wandering around in, but there isn't much to see there anyway. I just don't think there is a good answer for your question.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles