Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times

Advertisements

1.How does Los Angeles percentage smog rate vs other cities?

2.How do you measure the air pollution?

3.And what are you doing to clean it up ? and prevent it?

4.What are your views on this problem is affecting economy?

5.How does the citizens of the city feel about this? Do they have any health effects that your aware of?

I need some one who can accerately answer these quetions, I'm doing a project and I need some help.

maybe I can call a company if you know any to answer these questions:]
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Google is your friend.

smog in los angeles - Google Search

Old 01-18-2010, 12:31 AM

77 posts, read 102,609 times
Do your own homework. I'm here to discuss and answer maybe one question tops, but how many you have there? It feels like the SATs all over again.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 AM

16 posts, read 54,227 times
Environmental racism. That's a new one. Sounds sinister. The powers-that-be must have really hated whites since L.A. had awful air from the ~1930s til around the late 80s.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
Environmental racism is a funny topic here in LA. There used to be a huge industrial base in the eastern cities of South Gate, Vernon, Industry, Wilmington. When things were working full steam, up through the 50s and 60s, those cities were predominately white. White people lived there to be close to the factories. When the factories closed down the whites fled (for a variety of reasons, not just jobs). The properties they left behind were cheap, and non-whites replaced whites, and the air is much cleaner since there is less industry. So back in the day, white people did their best to live near the worst pollution in the city, because that was where the money was.

I'm sure you've already pre-decided your hypothesis that the powers that be forced non-whites to live near factories and freeways while whitey lives on the hills and by the beach to breath clean air. That's the sort of lazy thinking that'd get you an A at CSULA. But it didn't go down that way exactly. I think that if the industrial base hadn't collapsed, there would still be white people living in south-east LA county.

But the freeways are a different matter altogether. Boyle Heights is covered in freeways because its people didn't have the political clout to stop them. Notice how the 710 goes through Boyle Heights but stops at South Pasadena. Also, the 10 freeway west of downtown was designed to be the last stand separating the white man from the black man.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norma_duhh View Post
1.How does Los Angeles percentage smog rate vs other cities?

2.How do you measure the air pollution?

3.And what are you doing to clean it up ? and prevent it?

4.What are your views on this problem is affecting economy?

5.How does the citizens of the city feel about this? Do they have any health effects that your aware of?

I need some one who can accerately answer these quetions, I'm doing a project and I need some help.

maybe I can call a company if you know any to answer these questions:]
thanks
Not only is Google your friend, but so is spell-check. Also, I hope you have good friends that have a handle on sentence structure.

Keep that in mind before turning in your project.

Love your screen name, by the way.

Last edited by mrsltd; 01-18-2010 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: add to message/grammar

Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
What country are you a citizen of?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
San Marino and La Canada-Flintridge are very polluted and very wealthy.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I feel fine, the smog problem in my opinon has improved over the years. But that is just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles