U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:14 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,544,345 times

Advertisements

I think it is horrible that a landlord would not provide heat but I know that some people do not have furnaces. Space heaters would do the job nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 PM

16,613 posts, read 34,660,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Frist of all the pipes will not freeze in So Calif
They will in the high desert.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM

27,076 posts, read 54,286,779 times
A home I bought in a 1922 neighborhood without heat as we know it... none of the homes were sold with furnaces.. it was up to the buyers had to add if desired...

My home had a 1920's combo gas/wood oven and the remains of a hot water tank that was part of the stove... long ago a gas 30 gallon water heater was installed... the home never had "Heat" except as part of the Stove...

The woman that lived her entire life in the home across the street had the same set-up... no furnace either... just a wood/gas Wedgewood oven... she would use the wood part when it was cold in the winter...

To be accurate... all the homes had small wood burning fireplaces

The building code I'm familiar with states the home must be able to maintain a temperature of something like 68 degrees or warmer and was adopted after many of the old California Mediterranean Style buildings were constructed...

If the building is cold... you could cite the CA habitability standard... which references heating system in good repair. http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...euninhabitable

It would be relatively easy to for the owner to add electric baseboard heating with a thermostat... not the most cost effective way to heat but it is simple with a low cost to install.

As an aside... homes in many areas of Hawaii don't have heat either...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 PM

4,577 posts, read 3,736,989 times
Thanks for all of your input everybody, quite interesting.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 AM

1,753 posts, read 6,214,214 times
Obviously, I don't know how old your building is. But it's possible that it's old enough that the existing heating system is blanked in asbestos and the building owner has been told to replace it which he/she won't/hasn't done.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 AM

74,863 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
They will in the high desert.
ok, I was thinking So Calif as in Los Angeles area and San Diego. I wasn't thinking high desert..

Nita

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 AM

74,863 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A home I bought in a 1922 neighborhood without heat as we know it... none of the homes were sold with furnaces.. it was up to the buyers had to add if desired...

My home had a 1920's combo gas/wood oven and the remains of a hot water tank that was part of the stove... long ago a gas 30 gallon water heater was installed... the home never had "Heat" except as part of the Stove...

The woman that lived her entire life in the home across the street had the same set-up... no furnace either... just a wood/gas Wedgewood oven... she would use the wood part when it was cold in the winter...

To be accurate... all the homes had small wood burning fireplaces

The building code I'm familiar with states the home must be able to maintain a temperature of something like 68 degrees or warmer and was adopted after many of the old California Mediterranean Style buildings were constructed...

If the building is cold... you could cite the CA habitability standard... which references heating system in good repair. California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

It would be relatively easy to for the owner to add electric baseboard heating with a thermostat... not the most cost effective way to heat but it is simple with a low cost to install.

As an aside... homes in many areas of Hawaii don't have heat either...
I read the first sentence really fast and thought you said a house you bought in 1922...: boy I am glad I re-read that. I certainly was wondering about your age..Even as old as I am, I certainly wasn't around in 1922!! D

NIta

Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM

27,076 posts, read 54,286,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I read the first sentence really fast and thought you said a house you bought in 1922...: boy I am glad I re-read that. I certainly was wondering about your age..Even as old as I am, I certainly wasn't around in 1922!! D

NIta
Blame it on my poor sentence structure...

The 1922 built subdivision where I bought my home in the 80's was unusual because many my neighbors either bought their homes new or were children when their parents bought new... the youngest had just turned 65 and most were in their mid 80's... I think the 1100 square feet Craftsman Style homes cost $2800 plus and extra $300 if you wanted a detached garage.

Best neighbors I ever had and a wealth of information... one had an album showing the homes being built and there was even a picture of a horse drawn wagon in one... the junkie... a man that would haul off junk or buy scrap...

Anyway... my point is we didn't always have the building codes we have today and some people lived 60 or more years in the same home and never really made and changes... my home still had the original tile kitchen, wood/gas stove, original bath, windows and even a room that was wallpapered back then...

Most buildings are grandfathered from the time of original construction as long as they were conforming then and have been maintained... with only a few exceptions... like the use of gas lighting... and that is a story for another time

Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,286 times
In AZ the AC unit is also the heating unit, that is why they are called HVACs. It's all controlled on the same thermostat, you just have to switch it to heat instead of AC...

Old 06-02-2011, 08:27 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,709,172 times
It's LA, how often are you gonna need it. If you need heat, just buy a space heater. Assuming they sell those in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or