U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 05:41 PM

199 posts, read 431,745 times

Advertisements

I'm from Virginia and have also lived in NC. I moved to L.A. in 2006 and had to come back to VA this year because of family here.

I love L.A. and miss it all the time. Not a day goes by that I don't miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:06 AM

12 posts, read 20,168 times
We've recently moved from the NC Triangle area to Los Angeles. It was EXTREMELY difficult leaving close friends, and the beautiful seasons and trees... But we are going to make this work. We moved mainly for my husband's work, but also to be closer to aging family, and to get the kiddos into award-winning schools.

It amazed me with how many incredibly well-educated parents there were in Durham, the schools were really not great. NC was a wonderful, wonderful place to start our family, and the transition to LA has been challenging (folks are simply not as friendly here, and finding a community takes hard work). But I figure that being out here will prepare my kids for the 'real world' a bit better. The weather is fabulous, and I do like the wider variety of styles of homes you can find out here.

If you have further specifics you're looking for, lemme know.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM

2,852 posts, read 5,072,452 times
Im sure you experienced culture shock....I mean moving from the Raleigh/Durham area to Los Angeles. By chance what kind of work does your husband do and was it hard for him securing employment. I am finding it hard to find work when applying for jobs from out of the state.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM

7 posts, read 7,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Im sure you experienced culture shock....I mean moving from the Raleigh/Durham area to Los Angeles. By chance what kind of work does your husband do and was it hard for him securing employment. I am finding it hard to find work when applying for jobs from out of the state.
Out of state job hunting is the problem I am facing too. I moved to Fresno, CA from NJ 2 years ago. I wasn't able to secure a job until I moved out there, so I took a HUGE leap of faith. It worked out until I lost my job back in August. Now my boyfriend is being relocated to LA and I am back in Jersey for the next few months while he makes the initial transition. I once again have to find work from out of state only this time I can't move until I have a job to go to. I really don't want to be away from my boyfriend for too much longer than I already have been, but I have never had an ounce of success with online job searching.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 AM

2,852 posts, read 5,072,452 times
I know you hear all the time about people relocating from California due to the high cost of living, etc...but has anyone moved here from anywhere on the East Coast and actually made it work. I mean is your life a change for the better?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:43 PM

475 posts, read 1,117,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmefixit View Post
We've recently moved from the NC Triangle area to Los Angeles. It was EXTREMELY difficult leaving close friends, and the beautiful seasons and trees... But we are going to make this work. We moved mainly for my husband's work, but also to be closer to aging family, and to get the kiddos into award-winning schools.

It amazed me with how many incredibly well-educated parents there were in Durham, the schools were really not great. NC was a wonderful, wonderful place to start our family, and the transition to LA has been challenging (folks are simply not as friendly here, and finding a community takes hard work). But I figure that being out here will prepare my kids for the 'real world' a bit better. The weather is fabulous, and I do like the wider variety of styles of homes you can find out here.

If you have further specifics you're looking for, lemme know.
It sounds like the type of shock I experienced when I moved from the Pittsburgh area to the San Fernando Valley area in 1977. I agree that kids are prepared for the real world better out here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or