Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 9,537 times

Advertisements

Is it me or do people find it hard to make friends here. Im a very nice outgoing 31 and its extremely hard for me to meet new people out here. Any suggestions? I joined a gym 24 hr fitness and I do randomly talk to people about the classes parking etc, but everyone seems to know everyone in class already. Any ideas to meet people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
Work?
Family?
Friends of friends?
Old Classmates?

Do you like Ham Radio? Lots of friendly people participate.

(public domain photo - not protected)

How about joining a group of interesting people?

Atheists United

Southern California Freethought Groups

Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,967,205 times
It`s hard to make friends anywhere in Cal. A lot of the people there are just so into themselves.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:00 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,638,574 times
I've actually found it easier to make friends in LA than anywhere else we've lived. You mention the gym; not that gyms can't be friendly places, but that might not be the best option. There have been some other threads on this, but some suggestions include volunteering or taking classes (besides at the gym, perhaps? Something that's more conversation-heavy, maybe a language class?). In my experience the key to volunteering is doing something often enough that you become a regular. Also pick something that (a) you feel passionately about (and at least you'll automatically meet other people who share that interest!), and (b) consider a place that's big enough to have a large enough group of volunteers, including other incoming volunteers (i.e. it's not just 10 people who knew each other back when the group was formed and aren't interested in expanding), but small enough that volunteers get to actually feel like they're making a difference, and where maybe there are formal and informal opportunities for volunteers and/or staff to interact outside of the work. For the religious there's always church/synagogue/temple. Political campaigns or causes always need people.

In the past I've met people through temporary weekend part-time jobs, but that's easier said than done these days.

In any case, don't give up. Find things you like to do, keep at it, and eventually you'll make friends. Everyone is just so busy rushing around and trying to live life, and once you hit your 30s people are often even busier because they have kids, have more demanding jobs, or have other pressures. It can be tough.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:14 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,406,318 times
I find that people are pretty chatty near the roasted chickens at Vons. Seriously.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:25 PM

20 posts, read 70,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Work?
Family?
Friends of friends?
Old Classmates?

Do you like Ham Radio? Lots of friendly people participate.

(public domain photo - not protected)

How about joining a group of interesting people?

Atheists United

Southern California Freethought Groups
I'm assuming this is a joke, but I actually AM a ham operator. My call is AF6BK. And yes, it is a good way to make friends, if you don't mind being around a lot of geeks.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,638,574 times
Any specialized interest, for that matter, is a great way to meet people. (my grandfather LOVES his ham radio and has made many friends that way, by the way, young and old)

I forgot to add earlier: what about old school networks? My (non-CA) university has an alumni chapter that hosts regular gatherings.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 PM

20 posts, read 70,442 times
The best thing you can do is just let it happen naturally. There's a lot of pressure in this city to pretend you're something you really aren't, but if you find a niche where you are comfortable, then you are more likely to encounter people you have something in common with. Local soccer or cycling clubs, hiking groups, knitting circles (I don't know your gender, sorry), collecting little army men, or various volunteer organizations are a good place to start. Just by hanging out at a local coffee house, I've met people who have invited me to go hiking in Griffith Park or take art classes with them. There ARE normal folks here, I promise!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,585,549 times
People are right about pursuing interests. Los Angeles can be pretty intimidating if you don't put yourself out there. I've found that suggesting happy hour to people you work with can sometimes be a way to initiate friendships.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:29 PM

687 posts, read 1,112,288 times
meetups.com. Good way to find something you like to do with like minded people. More than half the people here are not from here anyway. Everyone is trying to find their way to make friends. It's just a little harder the older you get. Have children? That helps. Dogs? That too. Because L.A. is so transient people tend to be hesitant to start something up with someone new....it's a trust issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: