U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2010, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,866 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Reputation: 45425

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tceffo View Post
I remember when I was living in HuntingtonBeach- in 1978-79- My roomates father was the coach of the LA Rams- -not important at all- -but they were a good team (ok-they had a a wacky owner)- * * * they even went to a S.B
But my question is, why is it back then- LA had and supported aN NFL team and pretty much since then, no-one or no group has even tried??-(or have they?) - Lack of interest? College ball in SoCal would take all the press, ratings??
Its seems that fans support the Dodgers with big attendance numbers- and we know that the Lakers will always sell out. Just wondering in NY??
We were there during the good ole days of the Rams; our favorite coach was George Allen who ended up in Washington D.C. What happened after that who knows? Of course the As came to town, so there were 2 teams, then they left again, then the Rams started falling apart, followed by the colisium falling apart (well almost) and the next thing you knew, one of the major sports cities in the country found themselves with no NFL team. Yes, it is sad but hopefully for those in So Ca this will end in another few years. In the meanwhile GO DODGERS!!!

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,866 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Reputation: 45425
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
There is simply not enough interest for NFL football in Los Angeles anymore. Its been 16 years since we had football here and for the most part people are resigned to the fact that the NFL isn't coming back here.
Betcha it does!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 11:04 AM
 
Location: South Bay
7,141 posts, read 19,530,558 times
Reputation: 3402
a city can only handle a losing team for so long. look at buffalo for example, they have a strong fan base that is slowly dwindling because of their current owner. Look at the Rams as well, Georgie moved the team there and they're doing just as poorly (if not worse) than the last few years in Anaheim. Unfortunately, except for a few random markets (ie Green Bay), if a team doesn't perform, then the fans don't show up. Did anyone watch any KC games this year?

If a team moved to LA, the first few years would be sell out for sure, simply because of the novelty and "new" factor. Beyond that, the team would need to perform to secure a strong fan base. There are enough NFL fans in the greater LA area to support a team. I live on the westside of the city and just about every bar I've ever been to on any give sunday is totally packed with football fans representing the whole country. even if the new team has trouble attracting fans, the visiting team would always generate ticket sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Outside of Los Angeles
1,252 posts, read 2,402,099 times
Reputation: 810
I really wouldn't know exactly why L.A. no longer has a pro football franchise, but I think that they should have at least 1. This is the 2nd largest city in population in the country so there is no excuse for there to not be a football team here. This is a huge sports market obviously. Yes they would have to build a new stadium if they wanted to bring pro football back to L.A. but with all the money our governor has in his pockets, he should have the sense to realize that he CAN make it happen. I think that because pro football has such a huge fan base here in the US that I would find it hard to believe that we would have trouble getting fan support out here. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,905 posts, read 6,350,289 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Betcha it does!!!!!
My dear Nita it probably won't be in our lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,709,484 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
with all the money our governor has in his pockets
California may need $7 billion federal loan - CNN.com

California budget shortfall to top $21 billion | Reuters

California could have $15 billion shortfalls - SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,412 posts, read 8,544,345 times
Reputation: 1802
It's just a matter of time [a short time] before LA finally has another NFL team. Both the governor & mayor are working hard to get a stadium built but it may not be in Los Angeles proper [maybe in the City of Industry]. I think the stadium will be built with private funds so that LA won't have to raise taxes. Can hardly wait. Hopefully I will be able to attend a game before I graduate from high school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 84,709,484 times
Reputation: 17581
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It's just a matter of time [a short time] before LA finally has another NFL team. Both the governor & mayor are working hard to get a stadium built but it may not be in Los Angeles proper [maybe in the City of Industry]. I think the stadium will be built with private funds so that LA won't have to raise taxes. Can hardly wait. Hopefully I will be able to attend a game before I graduate from high school
Would you spend $100 for a ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,244 posts, read 27,781,966 times
Reputation: 21574
We have 2 amazing teams now, USC and UCLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,866 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Reputation: 45425
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
a city can only handle a losing team for so long. look at buffalo for example, they have a strong fan base that is slowly dwindling because of their current owner. Look at the Rams as well, Georgie moved the team there and they're doing just as poorly (if not worse) than the last few years in Anaheim. Unfortunately, except for a few random markets (ie Green Bay), if a team doesn't perform, then the fans don't show up. Did anyone watch any KC games this year?

If a team moved to LA, the first few years would be sell out for sure, simply because of the novelty and "new" factor. Beyond that, the team would need to perform to secure a strong fan base. There are enough NFL fans in the greater LA area to support a team. I live on the westside of the city and just about every bar I've ever been to on any give sunday is totally packed with football fans representing the whole country. even if the new team has trouble attracting fans, the visiting team would always generate ticket sales.
Well I don't know about that losing team for just so long; yes, Buff is an example but then look at D.C. The Redskins haven't had a really good team in 20 years but I think they still sell out!!!

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top