Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 AM

31 posts, read 276,785 times

Advertisements

Anyone here live/lived/familiar with Valley Village? Planning on moving there from Chicago/Savannah Georgia soon with my 13 year-old son.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Your only real issue will be schools I think. Most of Valley Village is pretty decent.

The amount of lower level crime(mostly property crimes) might be something of a shock though. Kinda depends on what part of Valley Village you will be living in. And a lot of times I see rental ads, or homes for sale, that say they are in Valley Village, but actually aren't. I live in Valley Glen which is a bit rougher, and just north of Valley Village so if you have a nearby major intersection, I can probably give you better advice.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:17 PM

18 posts, read 39,586 times
I bought my first house in Valley Village in 1998. I bough it for $225K and it sold a year ago for $750 (unfortunately not mine at the time) - but, that was for the land. It's going to be ripped down along with the rest of the street for condos. I can tell you the reason I moved is because of the schools. They're awful there. Sorry, but that's the gist of it. Excellent grade school (Carpenter), but your son is too old for that. There's a Catholic school.. Notre Dame (I believe that's the name) on Riverside, I hear it's a pretty good school. I would not send my child to any high school in that area. I say choose another area in the valley quick and deal with more of a commute. Valley Village was once a wonderful little pocket; it's turning to crap.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM

304 posts, read 931,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycomfortcorner View Post
Anyone here live/lived/familiar with Valley Village? Planning on moving there from Chicago/Savannah Georgia soon with my 13 year-old son.

Thanks
-------------------
Welcome to LA!

Valley Village is a good neighborhood.
Mostly one storey ranch homes many have had second stories put on in the McMansion style but they very pleasant.
Lots of walnut and citrus trees through the area.

When are you coming?
How did you hear about VV?
Good local schools, not far from the studios.

Greatschools.org Search: 91607

Hope this helps. Need anything else?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM

448 posts, read 1,606,021 times
I just literally moved from Valley Village this past Fall to the other side of the 170 freeway in NoHo. Valley Village encompasses two zip codes: 91607 (as you referenced) and 91601 (closest to the Valley Village Park). Valley Village stops at Burbank Blvd to the North. At that point, you are in Valley Glen. The Valley Village website is myvalleyvillage.com

Valley Village has highly rated elementary schools (especially considering it's LAUSD, many of them charter), but after that the school system doesn't look very good.

Having lived in Valley Village, I did have my house burglarized (one of the main reasons for moving). I also had my car wheels stolen overnight. These incidents didn't happen close to each other. One of the other downsides to the area, is that it tries to act rural in an urban area. With rural comes poorly lit streets in the residential areas. This attracts a LOT of people who like to have sex in their cars at night. This is based on personal witness and from neighbors' stories.

The main gripe I had about Valley Village is that there is NOTHING to do there. There are barely any restaurants/cafes and what is there is blah. My main entertainment was the park (and that isn't that fun). A positive thing I'll say about VV is that most residents have a pride of ownership with well manicured lawns and homes. There are some rough spots, but the large volume of trees tend to distract the eye from that. Also, the neighborhood council tends to be a lot more active than other local councils.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM

55 posts, read 168,423 times
Valley village was a decent neighborhood bordered by crappy areas on most sides, it is becoming worse. Lots of car burglaries and theft higher than the state average, several murders recently and many apartments all over the place causing a parking and traffic headache on many streets. the homes are waaay overpriced for what you get and the schools are just decent. If you stick to the studio city side it's not terirble, the side closer to North Hollywood is pretty bad(for how much the homes cost). Starting to see more graffitti and truant kids from no ho high. I truly feel it's better years are behind it. I live in valley Village currently.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Valley Village is fine. Its where people move to if they are unable to afford Studio City or Sherman Oaks and they dont want to be in North Hollywood. Housing is much more affordable than S.C. and S.O. and because there are LOTS of apartments, you do get some mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles