U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 AM

51 posts, read 120,076 times

Advertisements

Hey CD people. Just a quick question, is there a bus or rail line than I can take from Downtown to Hollywood/Highland area? Or do you have to change lines a few times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:05 AM

23 posts, read 87,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkk View Post
Hey CD people. Just a quick question, is there a bus or rail line than I can take from Downtown to Hollywood/Highland area? Or do you have to change lines a few times?
The metro red line is a subway that has a stop exactly at Hollywood and Highland. There are a few downtown stops as well (Pershing Square, Civic Center, Figueroa/metro center). If you're not near any of those stops, the Dash buses might be able to bring you close to one (I'm not sure if it still costs 25 cents per trip).

Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM

78 posts, read 176,840 times
one reason why i want to live in downtown or hollywood =] you can just take the metro red line back and forth haha. Hollywood(especially WeHo) and Downtown are the only reasons why i want to leave San Diego. we dont have nothing like that here.

I wanna move to a place similar to NYC: Diverse people, large population, big crowds, lots of city lights, fashion, the hype and energy, great nightlife, public transit, a city filmed in many movies, and a city known throughout the world. I know NYC has wayyyy more skyscrapers and a better public transit than the City of Angels but both have things that can compare. Remember NYC has been a city wayyy longer before L.A. became a city, give it time to catch up.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 PM

51 posts, read 120,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan View Post
The metro red line is a subway that has a stop exactly at Hollywood and Highland. There are a few downtown stops as well (Pershing Square, Civic Center, Figueroa/metro center). If you're not near any of those stops, the Dash buses might be able to bring you close to one (I'm not sure if it still costs 25 cents per trip).
Thanks man. I've checked out the metro map on their site, but I suppose I will get a better idea once I'm in LA (arriving on the 28th of Feb). I think I would like downtown, as I'm used to the city, and tall buildings etc, the only thing I'm worried about is my fiancee that will also have to commute in the evenings from Hollywood/Highland stop back to DT. Don't know how safe it will be for her as opposed to living closer to Hollywood and having a shorter commute. It does seem as though we'll be able to find cheaper apartment in areas like DT, Korea Town etc.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 AM

70 posts, read 163,241 times
Would there be a parking issue in silver lake?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,947,770 times
I know I sound biased towards Hollywood (although I'm really not; I also love downtown), but while Hollywood doesn't have skyscrapers (but neither do a lot of the parts of downtown that are really bustling, have street life, and apartments), it does have tall buildings and definitely feels like a city. I think the buildings at Hollywood and Vine are around 12 stories, and you'll find a lot of 5-6 story buildings in the neighborhood, as well as taller buildings. A commute from downtown to Hollywood or vice-versa would be extremely easy by LA standards; the ride is something like 10-15 minutes. When we were looking we found rents to be generally cheaper in Hollywood than downtown, but I don't know what the rental market is like now. There are some good deals to be found DT, though; I remember thinking that the apartments above Grand Central Market would be a great location, for example, and the prices were reasonable. Koreatown is generally cheaper than either DT or Hollywood and definitely has tall buildings and lots of people and feels like a city (and has great public transportation), but there is more crime. Still, a commute during working hours from Koreatown to either downtown or Hollywood would be safe and easy. When you say evening, how late are you talking? If she's going to be working late that would be another reason to at least seriously consider Hollywood; she could skip the hassles altogether and just walk home. You'll get a better sense of whether or not you feel comfortable after you've visited and spent some time walking around in each area.

Someone referenced West Hollywood above; for the point of clarification West Hollywood isn't Hollywood (either is North Hollywood), and West Hollywood doesn't have subway access. They also have very different vibes, for lack of better word.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:19 PM

736 posts, read 2,048,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexSteel View Post
Would there be a parking issue in silver lake?

Parking is generally pretty easy in Silverlake. MUCH better than in Downtown or Hollywood.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM

559 posts, read 1,159,953 times
Saturday's (2/27/10) L.A. Times had an article which will warm the cockles of uptown_urbanist's Metro pass:

Riding the bus changes her view - L.A. Times

"A self-described 'snob' makes the switch to public transit. Though frustrating, it proves enriching in ways she never expected."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles