Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:41 AM

4 posts, read 26,233 times

Advertisements

Hi im an 18 year old girl, recently qualified in Beauty therapy and i want to move to LA to get away from London. I am looking at studying Special effects Make-up in La. Im going to move with my freind who is also 18 and is a beauty therapist. We live in quite a bad part of london so were both used to violence, gangs etc. and the area we live in is mainly a caribbean, asian, eastern european community, so being 2 white girls we're used to being the minority race.
I was wondering if anyone could help us, on where to start. how much in general does it cost to live in La? What would be our problems with moving there? Is it easy to find work? places to live? study?

All opinions welcome. I'l just be gald to get any realistic feedback. Thanks

Charlotte

x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 05:34 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,658 times
Used to violence? ummm lemme see now. Compton rings a bell

Old 06-05-2008, 06:03 AM

people keep saying how violent LA is so i was jus makin a point that im not really bothered by that because your goin to get that in any city. i would rather not live in a dangerous area tho lol

Old 06-05-2008, 06:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcxpebbles View Post
Hi im an 18 year old girl, recently qualified in Beauty therapy and i want to move to LA to get away from London. I am looking at studying Special effects Make-up in La. Im going to move with my freind who is also 18 and is a beauty therapist. We live in quite a bad part of london so were both used to violence, gangs etc. and the area we live in is mainly a caribbean, asian, eastern european community, so being 2 white girls we're used to being the minority race.
I was wondering if anyone could help us, on where to start. how much in general does it cost to live in La? What would be our problems with moving there? Is it easy to find work? places to live? study?

All opinions welcome. I'l just be gald to get any realistic feedback. Thanks

Charlotte

x
Why don't you move to a nicer part of London or England?

Why SoCal? What was your source if information that drove your desire to move to SoCal?

Search the threads. There have been five or ten similar threads in the past year or so.

There are a lot of hairstylists in Los Angeles. Huge supply, so wages are inversely proportional.

Since it is two of you, you can take advantage of sharing the bills and rent.

Are there considerations such as visas, work permits, etc?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 AM

hi, ye i've been looking at the other threads an i've noticed that people giving advice are just warning them that its a dangerous place etc, and that if you dont speak spanish then your not going to have much luck. Its not that me an my friend hate london or were we live, i'v lived here all my life and dont no any different. We both just want a fresh start, due to my friend recently breaking up with her long-term boyfriend and me losing my job. Were i live in south london everyone knows everyone and were fed up with all the people around here and all there drama. Nothing ever changes, its the same day in day out and were bored and want a new adventure.

We're looking at taking a holiday to LA to sort things out.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcxpebbles View Post
hi, ye i've been looking at the other threads an i've noticed that people giving advice are just warning them that its a dangerous place etc, and that if you dont speak spanish then your not going to have much luck. Its not that me an my friend hate london or were we live, i'v lived here all my life and dont no any different. We both just want a fresh start, due to my friend recently breaking up with her long-term boyfriend and me losing my job. Were i live in south london everyone knows everyone and were fed up with all the people around here and all there drama. Nothing ever changes, its the same day in day out and were bored and want a new adventure.

We're looking at taking a holiday to LA to sort things out.
I see. What about the answers to Charles' questions? If you really want some help and insight on moving, those are the basic questions that need answering.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
My apologies if I sound harsh, but, what exactly is beauty therapy? Ive never heard of it. Where do you plan on studying "special effects makeup"? I have several friends who are professional movie make up folks and Ive never heard them saying anything about "special effects makeup school".

Maybe both you and your friend should get your parents to help you navigate through all the paperwork.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:34 AM

14 posts, read 49,197 times
move to North London

Old 06-05-2008, 08:54 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,111,514 times
I think after you've had your holiday you'll realize that LA is not as glamourous or exciting as it's made out to be. If you are already struugling, the last place you want to move is a place where you'll continue to struggle or struggle more. There are other places in the US that are very nice and a lot less expensive. Do more research before settling.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,398 times
Default London Girl In LA

OK, I admire your courage to seek what you want and I suppose if you don't do it now, then when and your intentions seem genuinely ambitious. I would recommend the areas of Silverlake, Echo Park and Atwater Village as they are very artsy and seem to be very accepting if not welcomeing of differences. I wish you well and I would be very proud of a daughter who had a plan and was making an effort to follow her dreams. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Be very careful becuase you are so young you may become a victim to older more sinister people.

Also, check out Craigslist to search for rooms to live in. It will give you a better idea of expenses. Workwise, you probabley don't have proper documentation to work and that will be tricky but it hasn't been impossible for many people in Los Angeles. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles