Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 AM

51 posts, read 184,279 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am moving back to Cali from Florida and am trying to find a place to live. I'm interested in Long Beach but my realtor (who lives in Long Beach) told me it's not "developed like they wanted it to."

I'm 35, single, and like to go out and meet people (women) at bars, clubs...I like diversity. I like good restaurants. I also like LB because it's a little closer to LA than Newport/HB, etc.

I'm looking to spend around 600k for a place to live and I prefer nicer, newer spots that aren't old and rundown.

I have to commute to Orange for work about 14 days a month. The other days are my own.

My question is...Why would she steer me from LB? I was looking at some spots on Ocean Drive (condos) that looked really nice. Is it that bad?

Is the Seashore area dying? I've partied there a few times. Is there anything going on downtown?

I'm not a surfer or anything so don't need big waves.

Any input would be great.

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj970 View Post
Hey all,

I am moving back to Cali from Florida and am trying to find a place to live. I'm interested in Long Beach but my realtor (who lives in Long Beach) told me it's not "developed like they wanted it to."

I'm 35, single, and like to go out and meet people (women) at bars, clubs...I like diversity. I like good restaurants. I also like LB because it's a little closer to LA than Newport/HB, etc.

I'm looking to spend around 600k for a place to live and I prefer nicer, newer spots that aren't old and rundown.

I have to commute to Orange for work about 14 days a month. The other days are my own.

My question is...Why would she steer me from LB? I was looking at some spots on Ocean Drive (condos) that looked really nice. Is it that bad?

Is the Seashore area dying? I've partied there a few times. Is there anything going on downtown?

I'm not a surfer or anything so don't need big waves.

Any input would be great.

J
Belmont Shore is a really fun, upscale section of Long Beach that would fit what you're looking for. It's got a great mix of singles, families, young couples, etc. Lots of quaint shops and eateries to walk to. It has a good nightlife but not a big dance club place...more pubs, etc. I think one of the best things about the area is the welcoming, friendly culture. You have very little pretentiousness even though there is considerable wealth in the surrounding area.

Downtown is more urban and has more of the late night, club scene. It's also a lot more diverse than Belmont Shore which is predominantly white. Downtown has a mix. The condos on Ocean are nice and new. In Belmont Shore you won't get anything new. It will be nice but for 600k you're looking at a condo or maybe a 2 bedroom, 800 sq.ft. beach bungalow type thing built in 1920. Again, lots of people love those places for their character but they definitely aren't new.

Downtown has been and continues to gentrify. Basiclly Along ocean and up to about 5th, you have newer places being built and lots of develomement. The economy has slowed some of this lately and maybe that is what your realtor is referring to. As you get further north downtown is not great. Poorer neighborhoods, etc. So if you choose downtown you have to be ok with the "urban mix" and all that living in a city brings (good and bad). If you want more of a yuppy lifestyle I would try belmont shore instead. And you can always go to downtown if you want a later night. It's only a few miles west on ocean.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
that doesn't make sense to me, long beach has plenty to do. downtown has a lot going on and so does belmont shore and there are other areas in between with bars and restaurants. $600k would also get you a nice condo near the water or a house in a good neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 PM

171 posts, read 581,747 times
Are you sure youre with the right agent? Good real estate agents do more listening than talking....

I agree with others in this thread that Belmont Shores is probably what youre looking for. I also agree with your agent that parts of Ocean Avenue are less than desirable. I wouldnt want to live around Ocean Avenue and Cherry if youre looking for any sort of nightlife other than smoking weed in the park.

Youre agent's comment regarding "hasnt developed as they wouldve liked" may be related to the Shoreline development near downtown. City planners wanted this to be the next Irvine Spectrum, but it hasnt nearly drawn the crowds that they were hoping for. It's nice, just not crowded.

If youre looking for a club scene, get a place downtown. There are no straight-up clubs in Belmont Shores. If youre more the bar type, get a place in BS.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:50 PM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post

Youre agent's comment regarding "hasnt developed as they wouldve liked" may be related to the Shoreline development near downtown. City planners wanted this to be the next Irvine Spectrum, but it hasnt nearly drawn the crowds that they were hoping for. It's nice, just not crowded.

I think most in long beach think the problem with the shoreline development (Pike, etc) is it is exactly like the Irvine Spectrum. Instead of putting some unique stuff in there (other than the Aquarium), it is a bunch of chains (PF Changs, etc.) like the Irvine spectrum. There is a Laugh Factory and a couple other interesting things but for the most part is too bland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles