U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 AM

9 posts, read 19,947 times

Advertisements

Possibly relocating from Massachusetts to California
A friend of a family member currently living in CA sent me a listing of a home

The home is exactly what I'm looking for (3 bed 1 ba),
it is also in my price range

The address is in the 2500 block of South Sycamore Avenue LA, CA Zip :90016

On my visit to california I don't remember much about this area.
I used the LAPD crime maps and also searched the Zip & Mid-City on LAtimes
Nothing too serious...(to me atleast)

Cutting to the chase

Anything on this area will be appreciated.
(Dangers, What to look out for, Advice, anything I should know)

It would be me and my teenage daughter living alone in one home.
And my daughter in her early thirties, My grandkids (13,10,6), and my other daughter in her early twenties, living in another home.
We are hispanic if that matters. Most people think I look caucasian.
But my daughters, grandkids are tan to darker brown skinned.
I know that really shouldn't matter but I read on other threads here that rivalries with blacks/hispanics in gang areas pose a safety factor (if this is a gang area that is) And if you feel that this area isnt safe could you suggest another nearby?

And if you have any information on the difficulty of my daughter finding work (she is an office manager) & me continuing my work as a foster mother.
How are elementary, middle, and highschools in the area (for my grandkids)?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster978 View Post
The home is exactly what I'm looking for (3 bed 1 ba),
it is also in my price range

There's a reason for that...

Old 01-29-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
There's a reason for that...
Really smart guy!?!? & that reason would be

Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
I have some useful info to share with you about that neighborhood and the surrounding area, but first you have to take that Mass.hole chip off your shoulder. That boat don't float out here.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,936,811 times
I would strongly urge anyone not familiar with LA to RENT first, not buy. What's the rush? Try renting in the neighborhood first, check things out, take your time finding a place. There will still be plenty of houses for sale next year, too, and I doubt prices will be rising much anytime soon.

Your daughter is going to have an extremely difficult time finding a job. The unemployment rate is very high, and there are a LOT of people out there looking for office jobs (or any jobs, for that matter). She should expect to be out of work for a very long time. She could get lucky, but don't make the move assuming that she'll be able to find a job. No idea about the foster parent thing.

LAUSD is known for major problems. There are some good schools, too, although I don't know about the ones in that neighborhood.

We can't recommend other neighborhoods in addition to the one you're looking at because we don't know your budget. Keep in mind, though, that generally "safe" and "affordable" don't go together in LA, although it depends how low you're willing to go on safety and how high you're willing to go on budget. It's even tougher when you have kids and have to worry about schools.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:49 AM

304 posts, read 841,204 times
Here are the school ratings for that zip.
It might be a fine area but if I were relocating here it is not in the first batch of areas I would consider.
What is your price range?
Greatschools.org Search: 90016

Old 01-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I have some useful info to share with you about that neighborhood and the surrounding area, but first you have to take that Mass.hole chip off your shoulder. That boat don't float out here.
Haha I apologize, I guess it was a m******* thing. Anyways I would love to indulge in the information of the area you have to share with me

Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I would strongly urge anyone not familiar with LA to RENT first, not buy. What's the rush? Try renting in the neighborhood first, check things out, take your time finding a place. There will still be plenty of houses for sale next year, too, and I doubt prices will be rising much anytime soon.

Your daughter is going to have an extremely difficult time finding a job. The unemployment rate is very high, and there are a LOT of people out there looking for office jobs (or any jobs, for that matter). She should expect to be out of work for a very long time. She could get lucky, but don't make the move assuming that she'll be able to find a job. No idea about the foster parent thing.

LAUSD is known for major problems. There are some good schools, too, although I don't know about the ones in that neighborhood.

We can't recommend other neighborhoods in addition to the one you're looking at because we don't know your budget. Keep in mind, though, that generally "safe" and "affordable" don't go together in LA, although it depends how low you're willing to go on safety and how high you're willing to go on budget. It's even tougher when you have kids and have to worry about schools.
Oh no worries it is a rental. No rush here.
Also thank you for the job information.
I'm looking to rent, under 2,000 a month.
My husband passed away in december and my income isn't very stable right now. So my budget isn't as high as it used to be.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:32 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
west adams district tends to be a mix between hispanic and black with some whites sprinkled around. the schools will most likely be terrible even though your relative safety shouldn't be too much of an issue. my biggest concern would be proximity to the freeway as the 10 is frequently congested and the pollution will not be good for the developing lungs of your grandkids.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM

13,448 posts, read 25,355,178 times
Being Hispanic will not be an issue in LA.

I would hope you could do better than living up against the 10 (in a marginal neighborhood) for $2K/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or