Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:39 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times

Advertisements

Why do I love the Valley so much?

1. Parking isn't so much of a [insert necessary swear word here]

2. Sexy Israeli guys walk around every Saturday morning in Encino and it's nice to see tradition for a change instead of all these wannabe stars.

3. There are wicked Deli's around like the Armenian Deli in Tarzana and Studio City.

4. It's easier to complete errands.

5. It's pretty (coming from grimey London I've learnt to appreciate nature)

6. Most people in the Valley are from the Valley and are pretty down to earth (from my experience that is)

7. It's peaceful when it needs to be... well where I live it is!

8. It's nice to come home to the Valley and put your feet up

9. The roads are a lot easier and more simple. Everything is more like blocks whereas over the hill it's gets messy. Less 1 way roads too, which I cannot stand! (recently added to list)

Please note this excludes most of the areas north of Ventura Blvd

Last edited by Miss Pip; 01-31-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 02:53 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
I agree, I love the Valley too and I didn't even live south of Ventura I lived where all the peasa...errr working class people live in North Hollywood My parents moved to Northridge, but I still like it a whole lot, but for somewhat different reasons than you.

My top 10 (not in any order except for #1)

10. Drivers don't suck as hard in the Valley as they do over the hill. This becomes very apparent once you drive over the Sepulveda Pass on the 405.
9. You can actually talk to a lot of people here and they'll be somewhat friendly. Of course, this is all changing now because the Valley is turning into the rest of the City of LA, but there's still a difference.
8. It's close enough to everything that its convenient (not that far to DTLA, West LA, Beach, Mountains, Amusement Parks), but its also far enough away that you still have a semblance of personal space and suburban living.
7. Schools in the Valley are bad, but they aren't nearly as bad as the rest of LAUSD. Compare the Magnet Programs and API scores from Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Taft, Birmingham to the rest of LAUSD to see what I mean (plenty of my friends went to Ivy Leagues or schools like Stanford/Berkeley/UCLA/USC, etc.)
6. Ethnic diversity; an underrated aspect of what used to be 'America's favorite suburb'. It looks like they need to dub 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High" into 2834834853843 different languages. At least, that was MY high school experience.
5. Along with ethnic diversity, there are good looking people from all races and ethnicities that have totally ruined my expectations of what people are supposed to look like.
4. The grid system of the Valley makes everything really easy to find, and makes the place relatively easy to navigate. Here's where living north of Ventura is an advantage because you can almost find anything and know which corner a certain address is just by the block number. After living in the Bay Area for a while, I kind of miss that
3. People severly underrate the weather here. Sure, its hotter than @@*#@*#*@ in the Summer, but the other 9 months of the year are quite pleasant.
2. Since I just picked up hiking, there are plenty of places to go hiking around the periphery of the Valley, and you are never more than 5 miles away from it. You get to avoid the 'Griffith Park' crowds and homeless if you want to!
1. Because I grew up here. As Dorothy said in that movie of her's "There's no place like home"

Old 01-31-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
4. The grid system of the Valley makes everything really easy to find, and makes the place relatively easy to navigate. Here's where living north of Ventura is an advantage because you can almost find anything and know which corner a certain address is just by the block number. After living in the Bay Area for a while, I kind of miss that

3. People severly underrate the weather here. Sure, its hotter than @@*#@*#*@ in the Summer, but the other 9 months of the year are quite pleasant.

I KNOW! All people say is "Oh the valley is too hot!". Yeah like it's like that all year round? Please. Open your mind!

You're right. It's so much easier to get around.

I have been to some nice house parties north of Ventura though

Old 01-31-2010, 04:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
If your job was in Woodland Hills or Chatsworth and your housing budget was $500K and you had kids, would you still live in the Valley?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
Quote:
Please note this excludes most of the areas north of Ventura Blvd
Yeah, I was going to say. Your 'likes' only apply to a select handful of tony nabes south of the 134, thus, by and large, are hardly representative of the Valley as a whole. Not that it's a bad thing, though.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If your job was in Woodland Hills or Chatsworth and your housing budget was $500K and you had kids, would you still live in the Valley?
I don't know. It's hard for me to say without experience. I'm 25 and right now I love the Valley. Why wont you let me love?!?!

:P

Old 01-31-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Why wont you let me love?!?!
Here's something you might love.

San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

Old 01-31-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Also if I had kids I would move back to London.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:

I don't like Libraries.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I don't like Libraries.

I don't like Bjork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles