Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,819,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, here's one I don't get, and it's annoying. There's one awards presentation that starts at 5AM in Los Angeles, presumably to accommodate the east coast coast people. That's right, 5 in the morning. And KNX 1070 AM covers it live, interrupting my listening of their traffic broadcasts (when I used to commute to Huntington Beach from Thousand Oaks for example). Don't remember what awards show it was but what the heck, 5AM?

Huntington beach to 1000 oaks...now thats a commute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:41 AM

13 posts, read 37,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Which is the reason motion picture production moved from NYC to L.A. years and years ago.
That, and geographical diversity.

Where's your television show or movie set?
Typical suburban street that could be outside Chicago or somewhere in New England? Southern California can do that.
The Old West? Check.
The mountains? Got it.
The sea, or the shore? Done.
Big city? Obviously, that's not a problem.
The Middle East, or Australian Outback or some desert planet in a galaxy far, far away? Got deserts.

Clearly, the issue gets pushed too far. After all, the Korean peninsula doesn't look like the Santa Monica Mountains (M*A*S*H - not much chaparral between Seoul and Pyongyang) and neither southern Minnesota nor any prairies look like the hilly ak savannah of The Little House On The Prairie filming locations. Nonetheless, within 150 miles of Los Angeles there is quite an array of different landscapes that can stand in for much of the world on film.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,226,514 times
I'll never forget the NYPD-marked cop cars all down Spring Street. They were there for a CSI-NY shoot. I remember some wag saying that the Historic Core will never be gentrified because the studios don't want to lose such a great location that is largely empty at night. So much for that theory. The place has made quite a comeback.

There is a great film about Los Angeles as movie set called 'Los Angeles Plays Itself.' Some great clips and commentary. It played at the Eqyptian to sellout crowds.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM

55 posts, read 100,237 times
The Grammys have been held in New York 9 times, but for some reason after 2003 they haven't been back.

The CMA awards have been held in Nashville every year except 2005 when they were in New York. The Dove awards (for gospel music) are also in Nashville every year.

The other major country award telecast, the Academy Of Country Music Awards were always in L.A. but moved to Las Vegas a few years ago.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,210,857 times
The Academy of Country Music Awards show is in Las Vegas.

Many of these shows are hosted during the winter months. Seems that it sure is a lot easier to host a show during that time frame in the LA area than in New York City. Also the area has some amazing venues to host these shows. Also if I were a singer, actor, Director or some other awardee and I get to take a little vacation from "work" chances are I would want to be in a warm place. Not that it is warm or even dry right now, but I bet it beats many other places during this time of year.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, here's one I don't get, and it's annoying. There's one awards presentation that starts at 5AM in Los Angeles, presumably to accommodate the east coast coast people. That's right, 5 in the morning. And KNX 1070 AM covers it live, interrupting my listening of their traffic broadcasts (when I used to commute to Huntington Beach from Thousand Oaks for example). Don't remember what awards show it was but what the heck, 5AM?
So, I'm at the gym at 730 this morning in Huntsville (530AM in LA) and low and behold, Oscar nominations are on CNN from Los Angeles. This must be what I was referring to above. Five AM in LA. What the funk?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM

They always do the Oscar Nomination show early in the morning. I think it is more of a news event than anything else. I don't know anyone that watches, other than the local news refers to it while it is going on, especially for the bigger categories.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
They always do the Oscar Nomination show early in the morning. I think it is more of a news event than anything else. I don't know anyone that watches, other than the local news refers to it while it is going on, especially for the bigger categories.
Why 5AM in LA, especially since they're being held in LA?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,128,307 times
I think they do it at that time..5AM LA/8AM NYC...for the network morning shows also...it gives the "Today" Show and "Good Morning America" some extra fodder when they run out of covering hard news!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 AM

Turns out it is always 5:30am.Pacific Time. They do it at that time out of tradition for when the first show aired in 1955 I think. In the beggining it was set at that time so the news shows would have something to talk about. It has been suggested that they have an actual show during the evening time. With the Oscars though Hollywood seems to want to stick with tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles