Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 02:25 PM

162 posts, read 430,680 times

Advertisements

I'm coming from Phoenix on I-10 and I have to make a quick run to a destination in this area (around 11700) block of Wilshire Blvd (zipcode 90025). I need to be there sometime between 9-12am. But I'm freaked out about the morning rush hour traffic. I know it is bad. mapquest tells me to go on I-10 then 60 then I-10 again and then 405N. Or should I stay on I-10 the whole way? how long would it take to get through traffic on that route if I get to the LA area say around 7-8 am? Any guess how early I should leave?
I would really appreciate fast answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I would try to time your arrival to as close to noon as possible (I assume you meant 12 noon and not 12AM as you wrote), that way you would be driving west towards Los Angeles after the majority of the rush hour has passed. The exact routes won't matter too much, 10 all the way or zig zaging on other freeways (60, 110) through downtown. If you don't have a passenger with a 3G wireless laptop looking at real time traffic or looking at a very good GPS with traffic device, then tune in to 1070AM and 980AM for traffic reports every few minutes. Be familiar with the routes so if you hear "Sigalert on the 10 westbound at Rosemead Boulevard" for example, you can cut over to the 60.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks so much Charles. Yes I meant between 9am and 12 pm. This is to take care of some paperwork at the Romanian Consulate there, so I can't show up at the last minute either. Actually the earlier the better. Obviously I'm super worried about morning rush hour. I'm trying to decide between going this evening and staying at a hotel overnight or just waking up in the middle of the night and driving. The timing seems bad because I would end up coming into the LA area at the worst possible time early in the morning. Mapquest says the drive is 6 hrs from Phoenix, but of course that doesn't factor in the traffic. Ugh, I wish I didn't have to do this. I dread it, but no choice. And prices for lodging seem insane too.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendesert View Post
Thanks so much Charles. Yes I meant between 9am and 12 pm. This is to take care of some paperwork at the Romanian Consulate there, so I can't show up at the last minute either. Actually the earlier the better. Obviously I'm super worried about morning rush hour. I'm trying to decide between going this evening and staying at a hotel overnight or just waking up in the middle of the night and driving. The timing seems bad because I would end up coming into the LA area at the worst possible time early in the morning. Mapquest says the drive is 6 hrs from Phoenix, but of course that doesn't factor in the traffic. Ugh, I wish I didn't have to do this. I dread it, but no choice. And prices for lodging seem insane too.
Other options: leave at midnight, get to the location by around 6AMish, avoiding the traffic, go to a gym if you have a chain membership.
Arrive at 6AM, take a nap
Arrive at 6AM, go to the beach and take a walk or do some local sightseeing
Arrive at 6AM, to to Starbucks and go online and post on City-Data

Even if you leave at 2AM, you'll still end up at your location at 9 or 10 because you'll travel so slow westbound into the LA metro.

If you get a hotel, then it's a whole new challenge as you have to think about afternoon commuters too - traffic is bad in all directions at the rush hours.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:34 PM

well I don't think I'd have to worry as much about afternoon traffic as I would be arriving into LA area rather late, maybe around 10 pm if I leave after work here. (I'm talking about the second scenario - getting a hotel)

Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
The 405 is packed most times of the day. the 101, 10, and other roadways in the Phoenix area are a breeze compared to what you will find on the 405. The 10 to the 405 on up to Wilshire can take you anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. At 10pm you should be just fine though. If things look bad you could also take the first exit before the 405 and head up to Wilshire that way. I think that should get you their as well.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i would either leave phoenix by or before midnight or after 5am, but certainly not anywhere in between. If you were to shoot for a 9am arrival time, you'd need to be to Palm Springs by or before 6am to account for traffic heading into LA from the inland communities. yes, it's that bad.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:11 PM

well, Phoenix to Palm springs (it says 4 hrs) and probably less at night. hmm... I appreciate all the input. helps a lot to make a decision based on what people there know about local traffic. Besides I had a bad experience once going into LA by bus. Traffic was a total nightmare. It has been 22 years since I used to live in that area, and I wouldn't move back if you paid me. Yes, beautiful places, but I can't handle the traffic insanity and air pollution.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:58 AM

well, I'm happy to report that I have survived the ordeal
First, I want to say that YES, LA traffic is THAT bad as some said.
I lucked out because of one thing I hadn't considered: the timezone difference. actually the fact that Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time, it gave me an extra hour. I ended up leaving at 1AM Arizona time, which I guess would be 12 AM CA time, but I didn't think about that at the time, so when I crossed into CA and the clock on my GPS and cellphone updated, It was nice to know that I would get there ahead of the traffic. I hit the LA area sometime right before 5AM, and it was pretty crazy even then, but things were moving fast so I just drove the whole way and rested.
Thank you all so much for your help.
And I must say, although at times I thought I'd lose my marbles with how fast people drive there, I was able to fit right in and drivers were generally quite courteous. I don't remember ever getting cut off or people driving nasty, which is not something I can say about Phoenix drivers. I swear I think they're blind. I turn on my blinkers to make a turn and people totally ignore me like I don't exist, or they just run red lights like they're color blind. Must be something in the water here that causes selective blindness.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
That's great, I'm glad you made it. As for LA drivers, honestly I think we are some of the best drivers around. We may be aggressive, but you have to be in order to get around with all the cars on the road here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles