Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats View Post
My god, I hate it when I'm driving on a busy street and all of a sudden I see a biker riding towards me. It's one of the scariest things to happen to a driver.
Yup, it's very dangerous. I'm an avid bicycle commuter and cringe every time I see someone cycling against traffic or on the sidewalk.

I was eyewitness to an accident where a car turned right onto a street from a driveway and was hit by a bicyclists riding against traffic. No one was hurt in this low-speed accident, but when the cops came around, they charged the bicyclist with "riding against traffic" and the car's owner had a claim against the cyclist for paint scratches on the hood of her car.

Statistically, bicyclists riding along the right edge of the roadway -- in the same direction as cars -- are at a low risk of being hit. Intersections are dangerous places for bicyclists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 09:58 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
Stay out of the sidewalks as well. I love riding my bike here but usually do so along the beach or in dedicated bike paths (Huntington north, Vista to the Oceanside pier). City streets are a real challenge in the denser parts of L.A.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 32,633 times
Thank you very much!

Your words are very helpful. I think cycling is dangerous in L.A and in Italy too. Italian drivers are a bit crazy and they hate cyclists and pedestrians They drive phoning and smoking and eating and so on...

Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Uh, here too! And they gesture with their hands as much as your drivers as well. But . . .to which Italian drivers do refer? To my observation, the difference between drivers in Roma and Napoli is like the differences between casual ice skaters on a little frozen pond, and hurtling down the frozen Alps on an out of control luge or bobsled!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:56 AM

10 posts, read 32,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Uh, here too! And they gesture with their hands as much as your drivers as well. But . . .to which Italian drivers do refer? To my observation, the difference between drivers in Roma and Napoli is like the differences between casual ice skaters on a little frozen pond, and hurtling down the frozen Alps on an out of control luge or bobsled!

Well, South-Italian drivers are worse than North-Italian drivers, they live in a no-rules world. Trust me, they aren't drivers, they are killers!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
L.A. activists float idea of a "Freeway" system for bikes | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Bicycle Plan Update

The Backbone Bikeway Network (LABP 20/100) | Westside Bikeside

Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM

30 posts, read 45,347 times
How bicycle friendly is Santa Monica? specifically the Wilshire and 14th, i'm moving in to the area with 2 good friends and the one thing im worried about is how there is very few bike lanes in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles