U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 13,904 times

Advertisements

I need to know the most affordable areas in Los Angeles that is safe and its close to schools, groceries or atleast to the public transportation? I never been to LA but the things I heard so far have been horrible and I wonder if its really that bad? I have 2 little girls and I really need to get a new start out of Florida!! I also need to know where to a find a job fast once there, any job? In orlando FL rental prices are not that different than in CA from what I see online but everything else is more expensive here(like electricity, food, and ect.) and jobs pay lots less than in CA. Their is nothing to do here for kids and the beach is 45 min. away. I always wanted to live in LA and Im going for it but I dont want to come back here again. Please if anyone knows where can I rent a cheap 2 bedroom let me kknow ASAP. Please make a list of areas in LA that are cheap, safe and easy to commut. Me and my DH plan to get a job as soon as we arrive there so its probably going to be minimun wage until I start working as a massage therapist there. I have to transfer my certificate to CA and get a lifescan before I can work in the state of CA. My DH is a highrise window cleaner so until he finds that position there he will also be at minimun wage!! I have faith that everything is going to work. Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM

7,141 posts, read 19,530,558 times
wow, you are brave. unemployment here is steady at around 12% and good schools in reasonably price neighborhoods are generally located pretty far from the city (especially where the highrises are located). the beach will be at least 45 minutes from these places as well. LA can be a great place even for a family that doesn't make a ton of money, but you really should have at least one job lined up for you or DH before making the big move.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM

5,113 posts, read 17,784,349 times
CA has something like 12% unemployment. I'd avoid moving before having a job because all of those minimum wage jobs have hundreds of people applying already. And landlords will be leery to renting to people without a job unless you have significant savings.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,919,777 times
I've lived in Orlando and LA and the apartment prices are not close at all from my personal experience. My last apartment in Orlando was about 4 years ago and I paid $610/month for a nice 700sq ft 1br/1ba place. My current place is smaller and I pay over double what I paid in Orlando.

I'm sure there are places that have similar prices but they will be night and day from the location and condition of the apartment.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM

12 posts, read 32,620 times
Jobs are REALLY hard to find out here. I would suggest if you are serious about moving out here to research jobs beforehand and try to come out here to interview before you move. I have been unemployed for over a month, I have my bachelors degree and Im in school for my masters, so I know its reallllly tough out there. If you really are set on moving out here, research places to work beforehand and try to interview before you pack your bags

Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,939,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTTS5565 View Post
I need to know the most affordable areas in Los Angeles that is safe and its close to schools, groceries or atleast to the public transportation? I never been to LA but the things I heard so far have been horrible and I wonder if its really that bad? I have 2 little girls and I really need to get a new start out of Florida!! I also need to know where to a find a job fast once there, any job? In orlando FL rental prices are not that different than in CA from what I see online but everything else is more expensive here(like electricity, food, and ect.) and jobs pay lots less than in CA. Their is nothing to do here for kids and the beach is 45 min. away. I always wanted to live in LA and Im going for it but I dont want to come back here again. Please if anyone knows where can I rent a cheap 2 bedroom let me kknow ASAP. Please make a list of areas in LA that are cheap, safe and easy to commut. Me and my DH plan to get a job as soon as we arrive there so its probably going to be minimun wage until I start working as a massage therapist there. I have to transfer my certificate to CA and get a lifescan before I can work in the state of CA. My DH is a highrise window cleaner so until he finds that position there he will also be at minimun wage!! I have faith that everything is going to work. Thank You!!
We see a lot of posts like this one on this forum, but of all the ones I've read recently, your situation absolutely screams DO NOT MOVE more than any other I can remember reading recently.

It's good to be optimistic, but to have faith that everything is going to work out is not thinking positive, it is going to bring you straight to disaster. It would be one thing if you were on your own (although I think that would also be a disaster) but to bring two little kids into the mix? Please don't do it. You'll almost certainly regret it.

It is tough to live on minimum wage in LA. There are no cheap two bedroom apartments, and I doubt most people living on living wage can afford a 2BR, anyway, at least not somewhere safe and within commuting distance of LA. If you can find someone to rent to you you'll be living in a bad neighborhood, probably farther than 45 minutes from the beach, with bad schools, and you're still going to be paying a lot of money for the privilege.

But the big one: do not expect you are going to find jobs. Jobs are tough to find. You can't expect to find jobs right away, even minimum wage jobs.

You say you've never been to LA, and while I think it's a great city, I think it would be one of the absolute last places I'd want to live with young kids and little money. Childcare also is very expensive, so assuming you're both working (which in this economy is a big assumption) much of your salary will be going towards that alone.

Sorry to be so harsh, but at this point in time you will be taking a huge risk to make this move without at least one job lined up in advance. There are other places, places with better economies and a cheaper cost of living, where you could get a fresh start. This is a really, really bad idea. Rather than throw the money down the drain moving, why not just put it towards the cost of a vacation to LA? You can see if you like it, then maybe in a few years if the economy improves move then, after in the meantime saving up some money. I completely understand the urge to move, and know what it's like to really, really want something, but this is like playing Russian roulette.

Also, if you do plan on moving expect to have several thousand dollars upfront for move-in costs: security, first month rent, and if you don't have a job and can still find someone to rent something to you, probably a last month's rent as well.

What makes you want to move to LA if you've heard it's "that bad" anyway? (I don't think it is that bad, by the way, but it could easily be that bad or worse if you don't have money) There are probably other places out there that would fit your needs. It doesn't have to be a choice of move to LA or stay in Florida.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Thanks for all your answers..

I been in Orlando for 13 years and I pay $1,200a mo. for a 2 bedroom home and the electric bill never been less than $250.00 a mo. usually is $400.00 a mo. and water and swer is no less than $100.00 without including all the other expenses that are require to live like food, gas, insurance for the car and the kids!!
Jobs here are really bad too so we been leaving of a minimun wage job anyway! which is only $7.25 hr. I hopeeee that because of our expirience and qualifications and us being new to the area we get those jobs before those other millions of people. We are really brave!!
WE GOING FOR IT ANYWAYS SO HELP US BY LISTING THE CHEAPEST AREAS TO RENT!!!
Thank you!!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,939,568 times
I think being new to the area will be a disadvantage, not an advantage. Everyone already in LA has connections. A lot of people out there looking for jobs and willing to take anything have years of experience, too, so don't expect anything right away.

Do you want cheap or do you want safe? Are you expecting to pay $1,200/mo in LA? That will limit your options, but it can be done. I saw a listing for a place in Alhambra (in the San Gabriel Valley) for that price; that would be a good location for a family.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:59 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,659,307 times
Since your husband's job is somewhat specialized, I would stay in Florida while he looks for work in CA. In the meantime, you can do whatever you need to do get your license transferred to CA, or at least start the process.

Once he has found an adequate job, you will know the area, the amount of rent that you wish to pay, etc.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Thanks...

Thank you for the advise you all have given me and your honesty!!! I really appreciate it!! Thanks once again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or