Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 26,374 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating from college in three months and moving out to LA. I'd like to get started on finding an apartment or possible places to live. I'm looking for a community / apartment building that is mainly geared towards those in their early to mid twenties. I've heard that some apartments in LA have more twenty-something residents than others and was wondering where those apartment buildings are. Wherever it is, even if it's on 'opposite side of the tracks.'

Basically an area with:

> A good-sized population of early-mid twenties.
> Dedicated to the arts: bookstores or coffee shops with poetry readings or live bands playing sometimes.
> Close to a good punk (or underground punk) scene and community.
> Welcoming to all and a good variety of types of people: just lots of varying personality traits.
> Everything within walking distance.
> Close to the film studios (Warner Brothers, etc.)

Last edited by PunkAlien; 02-04-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkAlien View Post

Basically an area with:

> Dedicated to the arts: bookstores or coffee shops with poetry readings or live bands playing sometimes.
> Welcoming to all and a good variety of types of people: just lots of varying personality traits.
I think the following areas fit the bill for what you are looking for:

-Echo Park
-Silverlake
-Los Feliz
-Downtown Los Angeles

I can't comment on specific buildings but you will find what you are looking for in these areas.....

Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
I'm graduating from college in three months and moving out to LA. I'd like to get started on finding an apartment or possible places to live. I'm looking for a community / apartment building that is mainly geared towards those in their early to mid twenties. I've heard that some apartments in LA have more twenty-something residents than others and was wondering where those apartment buildings are. Wherever it is, even if it's on 'opposite side of the tracks.'

Basically an area with:

Do you know where your job will be?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM

I don't know where my job will be. But, internship will most likely (like 90% sure) continue on the Warner Brothers back lot in Burbank. Thus, I want to be closer to around that area. Also want an area where there are job opportunities - theaters, stores, etc. and affordable for a 'struggling artist.'

Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 PM

364 posts, read 990,969 times
You may want to check out the Burbank, Glendale, NoHo (North Hollywood) area. Would you mind being in a roommate situation? CraigsList has a San Fernando Valley roommate / rentals section. The Recycler would also be a good source.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

Basically an area with:

Remember, many in their early 20s still live at home or are still in college, especially in this economy..Probably Burbank area would be the closest to what you seem to want. SIlverlake district might work as well. DO you have any idea your rental budget? That will make a huge difference.

Nita

Old 02-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Around 600 dollars, maybe a little more.

Last edited by PunkAlien; 02-05-2010 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
You can find a decent room to rent for that price. Then, when you know the area better and have more money (and maybe a roommate) you can get an apartment.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,829 times
Quote:

Basically an area with:

You have just described Silver Lake. Research it (check LAist.com and Wikipedia, etc). Prices for rent (especially with roommates) are not that bad there either. People walk. It's very trendy. Lots of hipsters. I mean it's literally exactly what you've described here.

The only time you'd need a car is to go to WB in Burbank, which is less than 10 miles away on the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles