Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM

8 posts, read 31,908 times

Advertisements

Photo

I am curious about the dating scene in LA. From the girls, is it easy to date in LA?
From the guys, do the statistics in the map hold true in that there are way more single men than women? How would you describe the dating scene in LA?

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
With the millions in the area, 40,000 is not that much of a differance. What does single mean in the statistics? My brother would be considered single because he is not married, but that is because of 2 reasons. 1: He doesn't want to get married and 2: Even if he wanted to ger married in this state he can't because he is gay and prefers men over women. Does the number take into account the gay population or is the focus on strait men and women?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicks View Post

is it easy to date in LA?
Sure. Is it easy to date somebody you would actually want to be around? Not so much.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,326 times
I think dating here is really difficult especially if you aren't into clubs or bars. People have suggested going to temple and joining a coed sports team. I have done both. Sports was a bust for me, and the events at temple had guys ask for my number, but never call (I am all for calling the guy, but I prefer for him to make the first move for a date).

My friend recently moved from NYC to LA and is also frustrated with how dating is here with guys in our age range (mid 20s-early 30s). She said (and I agree) that guys here are very 1 dimensional. Either they are the surfer type who is just super laid back, or this club guying Ed Hardy ego driven type. She said now that she isn't in NYC anymore, she realized how much better dating there was since there wasn't a "NYC type" guy. She said each guy was very different.

We (and other female friends my age) find that dating is just so super casual here and men expect sex really early on. Also I have felt with most men here that they keep me around until they see someone more attractive. Overall I just think the men here within my age range are very superficial, have inflated egos, and are flaky. The most success I have had with dating were with men who aren't from the LA or southern CA area.

Needless to say, I am sure men here could say that the women here are fake, demanding, and only like guys with money.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 AM

32 posts, read 80,460 times
Looks like LA is off my list of places to try to move to :/

Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I think dating here is really difficult especially if you aren't into clubs or bars. People have suggested going to temple and joining a coed sports team. I have done both. Sports was a bust for me, and the events at temple had guys ask for my number, but never call (I am all for calling the guy, but I prefer for him to make the first move for a date).

My friend recently moved from NYC to LA and is also frustrated with how dating is here with guys in our age range (mid 20s-early 30s). She said (and I agree) that guys here are very 1 dimensional. Either they are the surfer type who is just super laid back, or this club guying Ed Hardy ego driven type. She said now that she isn't in NYC anymore, she realized how much better dating there was since there wasn't a "NYC type" guy. She said each guy was very different.

We (and other female friends my age) find that dating is just so super casual here and men expect sex really early on. Also I have felt with most men here that they keep me around until they see someone more attractive. Overall I just think the men here within my age range are very superficial, have inflated egos, and are flaky. The most success I have had with dating were with men who aren't from the LA or southern CA area.

Needless to say, I am sure men here could say that the women here are fake, demanding, and only like guys with money.
I agree. 95 percent of them are like that.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
You have to think outside the box. There are quite a few decent guys and gals, but if you have an 'image' of what they should look or act like, you probably won't even notice them. It's absurd to paint millions of individuals with the same brush. If you can't seem to find anyone worthwhile, it's probably your compass that is broken, not the entire population.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,583 times
Most of the single women I know who are between the ages of 28-35, whether they are in Los Angeles, Wash DC, Dallas, etc. all have a ton of trouble dating. A lot of the most desirable guys are either taken, interested in just sleeping around or want to date people younger than them. The thing is, a lot of these same women don't want to date someone 38-45 because they are "too old" or are "damaged goods."

IMO most of these people haven't woken up to the fact that the dating dynamic changes a lot for women/men starting around the age of 25-30, where it goes from women dominating the dating scene to men dominating the dating scene. A lot of these same people go from having to turn away men constantly to getting turned away by the same men they used to turn away.

Most desirable men that are still "not taken" when they hit 30 will likely be somewhat shy and work in male dominated workplaces such a tech or finance. The "playboy" types are not interested in a relationship but if you go out to a bar/club that's who you will meet. You will get some who have been sleeping around for a long time and are ready to "settle down" too, which is why it's not a waste to go after men in extroverted environments too.

Online dating, even into the late 20s-30s is still male dominated and is probably the best resource to meet dudes that you won't find at bars/clubs. You should probably hit both segments.

As a disclaimer, I haven't been in the dating scene in 5 years so I may be completely full of myself.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I agree. 95 percent of them are like that.
More than 5% like other women, so not all of that 95% really care about guys whatsoever.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Most of the single women I know who are between the ages of 28-35, whether they are in Los Angeles, Wash DC, Dallas, etc. all have a ton of trouble dating. A lot of the most desirable guys are either taken, interested in just sleeping around or want to date people younger than them. The thing is, a lot of these same women don't want to date someone 38-45 because they are "too old" or are "damaged goods."

IMO most of these people haven't woken up to the fact that the dating dynamic changes a lot for women/men starting around the age of 25-30, where it goes from women dominating the dating scene to men dominating the dating scene. A lot of these same people go from having to turn away men constantly to getting turned away by the same men they used to turn away.

Most desirable men that are still "not taken" when they hit 30 will likely be somewhat shy and work in male dominated workplaces such a tech or finance. The "playboy" types are not interested in a relationship but if you go out to a bar/club that's who you will meet. You will get some who have been sleeping around for a long time and are ready to "settle down" too, which is why it's not a waste to go after men in extroverted environments too.

Online dating, even into the late 20s-30s is still male dominated and is probably the best resource to meet dudes that you won't find at bars/clubs. You should probably hit both segments.

As a disclaimer, I haven't been in the dating scene in 5 years so I may be completely full of myself.
This post is spot on. I can also vouch for this based on people in my family and friends. Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles