Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:54 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
It seems that most of the historically African American neighborhoods in Los Angeles are turning into Hispanic neighborhoods. Even Inglewood has almost as many Hispanics as African Americans now.

The enormous growth in the Hispanic population in these parts of Los Angeles is displacing many African Americans. Which leads to the question: where are all of the African American people going?

Are the African Americans moving to other parts of the US? Other parts of California? The Inland Empire? Middle class suburbs? Doubling and tripling up on living accommodations?

Please give me your opinions about where all the African Americans are going.
Can you tell me are they Africans or are they Americans? they can only be one or the other. But their maybe a few that can say I am African American that have duel citizenship.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 AM

11 posts, read 49,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijinsky View Post
I hate the term 'African American' and so do most who are from Africa, especially South Africa. Most who live in South Africa are white and do not like how the term is used here in America. I see nothing wrong with calling someone white or black. For Gods sake are those of us who are Europian, demand to be called Europian American? Give me a break!

But its not all about you now is it?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM

194 posts, read 303,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijinsky View Post
I hate the term 'African American' and so do most who are from Africa, especially South Africa. Most who live in South Africa are white and do not like how the term is used here in America. I see nothing wrong with calling someone white or black. For Gods sake are those of us who are Europian, demand to be called Europian American? Give me a break!
No, most who live in South Africa are Zulu, Xhosa, and Tswana, and had lived in the region for thousands of years before the arrival of any troublemaking invaders from the Netherlands, and Great Britian.

So I don't think the descendents of Dutch and British invaders are in any position to say how African/American terms should be used in America, in regard to African-Americans.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
It seems that most of the historically African American neighborhoods in Los Angeles are turning into Hispanic neighborhoods. Even Inglewood has almost as many Hispanics as African Americans now.

The enormous growth in the Hispanic population in these parts of Los Angeles is displacing many African Americans. Which leads to the question: where are all of the African American people going?

Are the African Americans moving to other parts of the US? Other parts of California? The Inland Empire? Middle class suburbs? Doubling and tripling up on living accommodations?

Please give me your opinions about where all the African Americans are going.
they are going to the deep south.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-29-2007, 11:21 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
Here in San Antonio, Houston and Dallas the same things are happening. the African Americans are moving on up , I said moving on up to the East side

Old 09-29-2007, 11:27 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Speaking of the term "African American" I was wondering if a child born in the USA to white South African parents would be considered an African American??

Old 09-29-2007, 12:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Speaking of the term "African American" I was wondering if a child born in the USA to white South African parents would be considered an African American??
I assume not, because the US government doesn't consider Arabs or Berbers to be African-Americans it would probably not consider the descendants of Europeans who lived in SA or the old British, French, and Portuguese colonies to be "African-Americans".

Old 09-29-2007, 01:45 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Well Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morroco are part of the continent of African. Technically speaking a Libyan American for instance is also an African American.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:12 PM

194 posts, read 303,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
they are going to the deep south.
stephen s
san diego ca
*Some* are going to Southern states, usually Louisiana, Texas, or Mississippi.

But *most* are moving to the Inland Empire, Antelope Valley, and Las Vegas. Palmdale, Moreno Valley, and San Bernardino seem to be particularly popular.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
i say india indians look black/native too. im black and they have alot thats darker than me, so can i call them african americans too?
Black Americans have a lot of white ancestry i think. Look at people from west africa and African Americans. most african americans are from west africa. I think that'
s a valid comparison. Some(many?) Indians do have black skin. a small %age even look east asian. most non-indians (or even indians perhaps) don't know that.
btw i'm indian-american.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles