Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:06 AM

31 posts, read 201,827 times

Advertisements

I notice a lot of blacks in the Lancaster area now, especially on the east side, Palmdale too.Some HUD, some middle class. Way back in the 1960's I lived on the perimeter of Sun Village, (located east of Palmdale) which was virtually totally black. Back in those days and earlier, blacks coming to the Antelope Valley were steered away from other areas by CCR's and Sun Village was created for blacks from LA who wanted a small acreage where animal raising was permitted, most lots were 1/2 acre and up. The "town" never had more than a couple of rundown commercial businesses but the centerpiece was Jackie Robinson county park, which still exists and still has a black cultural presence. Sun Village remained predominately black for many years and still has a black population but in more recent years has been somewhat folded into adjacent Littlerock which is now heavily Hispanic, also some whites lured there in order to keep horses and have a semi rural lifestyle.I always thought it was interesting and rather sad, that even when the AV was still the frontier mentality "wild west" that a "segregated"community was thought necessary. Val Verde, down near Newhall, was another rural black enclave around the same time frame, have no idea what the status is today?? I imagine many of the old time black families from around here have moved on, as have many whites. Sue

Old 06-17-2007, 12:42 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Our white communities stay white, our Mexican communites stay Mexican, and our Black communities stay Black. For Blacks looking to live amongst themselves and also live with Blacks who fit into their upper middle class or upper class clasification, Atlanta has become their mecca. Segragation is alove and well in Atlanta...it just not forced anymore. When I visit L.A. and New York I am always schocked at the level to which Asians mix in with whites and Blacks mix in with Mexicans. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with it, just offering my perspective on a reason why many are leaving, at least why the high income Blacks are leaving.
I'm black and could NOT possibly live in a neighborhood that wasn't diverse.

Just the thought of "voluntarily" living a segregated lifestyle on PURPOSE disgusts me. I also find it disturbing that YOU DON'T find this way of living "disturbing".

Old 06-17-2007, 01:05 AM

128 posts, read 461,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm black and could NOT possibly live in a neighborhood that wasn't diverse.

Just the thought of "voluntarily" living a segregated lifestyle on PURPOSE disgusts me. I also find it disturbing that YOU DON'T find this way of living "disturbing".
i concur....

Old 06-17-2007, 02:12 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I think many of them have moved to the San Fernando Valley. And yes, many of them have moved to Palmdale and Lancaster as well for the cheaper housing.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 14,713 times
I share your sentiments and concerns and, I will attempt to provide an answer as to where the blacks are moving to. I actually work in Watts and I can see that it is approximately 50-50 Black to Hispanic. Inglewood is slowly reaching that same perecentage. I live in View Park which is a traditionally black community as are our surrounding communities of LaDiera Heights, Baldwin Hills, Winsor Hills etc. Even we are beginning to see more Whites move into our communities as the elders sell their homes and move out.

I think that the shift that we see has much to do with the current state of social economic political circumstances. What enabled many blacks to sustain a family lifetstyle in the form of jobs and opportunities no longer is viable. The auto manufacturing plants and the same of many other manufacturing plants have moved or downsized closing out the job availbility for people in the urban cities. Blacks who counted on these industrial manufacturing plants as a financial foundation simply cannot survide without the traditional blue collar job track and it simply doesn't exist as it did in the past. Further jobs like the post office positions, police, fireman, and metro job opportunities are now being shared by more than Black & whites. In the past other ethnicities kept to themselves and did not matricalate into the mainstream so those jobs were fought over between blacks & whites. Now they must be shared among all the groups.

We have failed to grasp the importance of education as it has always been our goal as a means to get out of the oppressive mire of dependence upon the grunt and grind. As we live more we can see how important it is to gain an education and to also start our own businesses and employ our own. We in fact have not done this on the level that would have us estactic and full of joy at our success. We are on theother hand much further along. Still we have too many ofour own suffering the consequences of not being preppared for the transition from an industrial state to a high tech and very cerebral driven economy. You've got to have a sjkill set if you want to work and win. Surviavl is minimal.

So many of our people have moved chasing the dollar. I have a brother in Afghanistan as a civil engineer just because they offered him a six figure salary. Many people are chasing the dollar. Others are going where they can survive on an average salary and live a comfortably. They move to Nevada, Tennesse, Lousiana, Texas, Seattle, Atlanta, Florida etc. But most are going where there are two things: jobs and no state property taxes.

EL9Z

Last edited by EL9Z; 06-17-2007 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 AM

99 posts, read 570,062 times
Default Where black folks are going...

Antelope Valley, San Bernardino & Riverside Counties... and Las Vegas. The mid-80s was the beginning of a mass exodus. Many whites fled for Thousand Oaks, Yorba Linda, Irvine, Rancho Bernardo & Laguna Niguel. Keep in mind that, while South Central and Compton are now Latin neighborhoods, many of the former residents of these higher crime areas are the ones moving to Palmdale, Moreno Valley and Las Vegas. What you'll find is that San Bernardino now has a higher crime rate than LA County. Same folks, bigger houses. The 'blackest neighborhoods' in LA are now Baldwin Hills, View Park/Windsor Hills, Ladera Heights, Leimert Park & Carson's Dominguez Hills. Ironically, 'black neighborhood' in LA now means 'rather affluent'. In fact, Ladera Heights has a higher per capita income than Rancho Palos Verdes & View Park, developed in the 20s & 30s has one of the most tasteful collections of custom homes with a view of Hollywood, Downtown and the ocean. So, THIS is where black folks are and that's fine by me.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
I think blacks are dispersing somewhat now that we can, and then there is the fact that the numbers of blacks are staying rather flat in CA but numbers of other groups are increasing, like latinos for example.

Agreed Black folks are dispersing... the ones I know have moved to Palmdale/lancaster or to the south. They call back and tell us about the huge house they bought (in the south) for $200,000. lol.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
They are moving here!! I reside in a southern suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. It's commonly referred to as the Cascade area. Cascade is to Atlanta what Ladera Heights is to L.A. Here, the area is like 95% Black with most new homes ranging from $400,000 to the 1.5m range. Keep in mind that the standard of living is lower in the south so $500,000 buys you alot of house and aot of land in an excellent community. I think this is why so many Black people are flocking to Atlanta from accross the country. In the last fifteen years the Metro Atlanta area has seen 1.5 million people added to its population. I am a native of Atlanta but most of the people I know hail from New York, L.A., and Chicago.

They come down here for a lifestyle that is percieved better and sometimes for more social exclusivity. Atlanta communities are far less likely yo integrate unlike SoCal communites. We have several wealthy lily white communities like Alpharetta, East Cobb, Johns Creek, and Vinings where there is a 5% or lower representation from Black Americans. No law keeps these neighborhoods white, for most Black people don't want to live in these areas even if they are able to afford it. Our wealthy Black enclaves are Cascade, Sandtown, East Stone Mountain, South Lithonia, Ellenwood, Smokerise, and Fayetteville. Ladera Heights is no longer 95% Black but is now accoding to City-Data only 70% Black as more Whites and Asians move in for more affordable living, in comparison to West L.A. That doesn't happen down here. Our white communities stay white, our Mexican communites stay Mexican, and our Black communities stay Black. For Blacks looking to live amongst themselves and also live with Blacks who fit into their upper middle class or upper class clasification, Atlanta has become their mecca. Segragation is alove and well in Atlanta...it just not forced anymore. When I visit L.A. and New York I am always schocked at the level to which Asians mix in with whites and Blacks mix in with Mexicans. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with it, just offering my perspective on a reason why many are leaving, at least why the high income Blacks are leaving.

The lower income Black families are fleeing L.A. for the same reason low income Blacks are fleeing major cities accross the country, they are sick of high crime. Working Class families want to feel safe too. They are fleeing to nearby suburbs to escape the madness. In D.C. they are going into Prince George's County(and in turn the middle class Blacks there are fleeing to Charles and Prince William Counties) and in Atlanta they are headed for Clayton County and SW Dekalb County(causing the middle class Blacks in Atlanta to move further into the Eastern suburbs). What you all are witnessing is Black flight. Working Class Blacks are moving away from majority Black crime ridden communities into more middle class Black communites and in turn the middle class Blacks are fleeing from the working class blacks(because of stigmas about lower classes bringing down public schools) and moving into upper middle class all Black communites. It'll be interesting to witness the final result.

Wow. So interesting. Thanks for this post.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
In Houston, lower income and middle class Blacks are moving into eastern Fort Bend County. Lower income blacks are also moving into formerly White areas of northern Harris County. Meanwhile, Whites are staring to move into the Third Ward and Fourth Ward areas, which were often dominated by Blacks.

The Third Ward, no stranger to demographic change, started as a Jewish "River Oaks" (a wealthy, White community in Houston - still is to this day) that changed when African-Americans started to move there.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:54 PM

119 posts, read 881,186 times
I have friends, family and my pastor's family moved to the High Desert. Its affordable,growing attracting middle and low income family seeking a better life. Relatively clean, safe suburban living, away from gangs and drugs(an aside gangs are up there now not in big numbers) in Master Planned communities such as Brentwood and Eagle Ranch in Victorville and Mission Crest in Hesperia and 1/2 acre plus lots estates in Apple Valley,Oak Hills and Phelan. They love it because they want a better life. Some whites may not understand everyone wants The American Dream no matter what race, income or education level. My parents are African-American retirees, middle class and they are looking a better way of life even though they own their home in Hawaiian Gardens for nearly 30 years. The Victor Valley offers they opportunity move from the rat race that LA and Long Beach is.

Others chose Antelope Valley, The Inland Empire, Coachella Valley(Palm Springs area) because LA,Orange County, and San Diego is too expensive.
Still others choose to move to neighboring states: Arizona, Colorado,Nevada even Idaho and Utah.

Moreover, Many folks moved back to the south as it has been discussed in earlier posts because it cheaper, relatively safer and not overly racist as it was. Middle Class manufacturing jobs in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura and San Diego Counties disappeared; people go with the jobs are and jobs are not here.

And Illegal Immigration (I don't hate latinos; I am half latino My mom and her relatives are Black Panamanians She became an American Citizen in 1990) even also played a role as it been said which changed the demographic landscape and many of the political gains that came during the late 50's-and mid-eighties are shrinking there are 3 black city council members in LA where there was 5. Tom Bradley was (and maybe the only African-American mayor LA will ever have).

Chicago(where many African-Americans are moving to Lake (counties Illinois and Indiana[outside of East Chicago, Gary and Hammond])as well DuPage, Will, Kane counties and eventualy the far suburbs such as Mc Henry, Kendall, and Grundy cos. and Kenosha WI. By the way Chicago still has a considerable black community and still a political force.) were I am relocating to may get another African-American mayor in a few years if Richard Daley makes this his last and final term. New York could have another Black mayor in its future depending on if Bloomberg running for President or be a one term mayor. Maybe someone who is black would be the next mayor of San Francisco (slim chance though many blacks have Left the Bay Area and the city during this time period as LA's black flight.)

California is not the same and it may not change back; we will have to adapt to this reality. It's not fair but thats the way it is.

Last edited by hgclyde; 06-28-2007 at 12:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles