U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 PM

56 posts, read 122,624 times

Advertisements

We've had internet for a month or so, no problems. Using Time Warner, basic plan, $30.

I signed up with Direct TV yesterday for a Choice Xtra plan, with one DVR and canceled today after reading one too many horror stories on contract issues.

So... back to square one and really thinking about scrapping the cable/satellite option.

Questions: if we buy a converter box, can we watch local stations?
Would I need an antenna or would the converter box come with it?
Could I purchase a DVR and record shows even though I don't pay a monthly service?

Even if we can't record, I think I'd like to try regular ol' TV if we can get it to work.

We're in Lawndale. If you have advice, please offer it. Much thanks, Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,675,515 times
TVs have tuners built in. Newer TVs can receive the digital signals being broadcast by local TV stations. Older TVs can't and thus require a converter box. An antenna is required either way. A big one on your roof aimed at Mt Wilson will give you the best results. I don't know if you can buy a DVR without a monthly service charge. TiVo pretty much invented the DVR but I think they have a monthly fee. Maybe you can find a VCR on Craigslist.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:27 PM

1,319 posts, read 3,782,184 times
There are DVRs that dont require a subscription.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:44 PM

thought I'd share an update. We purchased a SDTV, converter box and antenna on Craigslist and subscribed to Netflix, 3 at a time. So far so good. Certain channels don't work when we're online but we get 2, 4, 5, 7, 11 with little problem. Paid less for tv/box/antenna than 1 month of cable. We'd do cable if they didn't require 24 month lease and have such bad reputations for screwing subscribers out of money. Better this way as we don't watch the tv as much.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
TVs have tuners built in. Newer TVs can receive the digital signals being broadcast by local TV stations. Older TVs can't and thus require a converter box. An antenna is required either way. A big one on your roof aimed at Mt Wilson will give you the best results. I don't know if you can buy a DVR without a monthly service charge. TiVo pretty much invented the DVR but I think they have a monthly fee. Maybe you can find a VCR on Craigslist.
how about the rabbit ear antenna's do they work just as well has a roof antenna? Not all buidlngs allow you to put up roof antennas.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,675,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
how about the rabbit ear antenna's do they work just as well has a roof antenna? Not all buidlngs allow you to put up roof antennas.
Nothing beats a full sized antenna on the roof aimed directly at the transmitter. Rabbit ears may or may not work OK depending on your location.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,581,348 times
I love to do away with dealing with cable. I am going to check it out. Cable and INternet should be free.......

Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 AM

4 posts, read 23,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
It really depends on your location. I live in West LA and I have an indoor antennae with rabbit ears with UHF/VHF capability that picks up stations 2 - 13 with signal strengths that range anywhere from 20 to 70%. Most of the time the channels come in great. Sometimes there is interference and I have to adjust. It beats paying for cable when I really only watch 2-11 anyways.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 PM

thanks. I now pretty much have the same setup and am happy with value for $.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM

2,239 posts, read 2,873,248 times
Stop being so cheap and pay for cable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles