U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:00 AM

173 posts, read 341,419 times

Advertisements

'' When I moved to SF from LA I was surprised at how small the gay population is here. At least gay male culture. It is super dominant in LA...especially in the hollywood/celebrity/ beauty world. They even have their own Mafia. LOL.

The gays pretty much dominate the glitzy glamourous culture in LA that I have never seen in San Francisco, plus the gays in LA are HOT!!! I mean...these guys are strutting around outside up and down SM Bl. looking perfect and gorgeous. Never seen anything like that in SF.

The only time I ever see gays in SF outside of the tiny Castro area is at Bloomingdales. I think West Hollywood is almost as big as the entire city of San Francisco, and that is only 1 of the many gay centric neighborhoods in LA.

I would guess there are more gays in Palm Springs than San Francisco.

That being said, SF does have amazing gay pride festivites. Definitely destination worthy. ''
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 AM

671 posts, read 1,917,409 times
That's pretty funny.

Certainly in the '70s '80s '90s lots of gay kids left their smaller or mid-western towns to come to LA or SF, where they could be more free. But is that still true? It seems to me that these days, fewer kids move to LA strictly to be part of a gay scene.

In fact, some of the big discussion these days is if West Hollywood dying as a gay space. It used to be that the presence of the gays kept property and rent low, because nobody wanted to live near them, but, WeHo is crazy expensive now; it is not the place for a new arrived boy from Needles or Peoria to start a new life. Also, with the internet and online dating, it is less important to have places like that for older gay people to meet.

But, yes, Los Angeles still has a huge gay population. It hard to know, since the census doesn't really ask those questions, but, there are still a lot of gays in West Hollywood, Hollywood, Silverlake, Venice Beach. It is a bit of an exaggeration that all people in fashion, make-up, interior decorating, and design are gay, but there is a lot of them (us) there, and there is a lot of that type of work in Los Angeles.

But it seems that, for now, society is becoming more comfortable with the idea of homosexuality. And as a consequence, there is less force behind the idea to uproot and go to LA or SF or NYC, or to choose certain professions. And, (while in gay circles I might be crucified for saying so) I think that as the level of persecution has gone down, gay society has gotten more healthy: less drugs, less promiscuity, less desperation in general.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM

448 posts, read 1,424,635 times
It's funny that you say that Amelia because now that you brought it up, you may be on to something there. And this is based purely on walking the streets of San Francisco and walking the streets of LA. When I visit San Fran, I don't see the obvious gays walking down the street. There may be a sprinkling of them, but not like I would have thought considering SF is supposed to be gay central. Now if you walk around WeHo, there are gays a plenty and they're not afraid to show it either. As a gay man myself, I would be happy to have LA take the crown from SF.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,188 times
Puro o.c.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
That's pretty funny.

Certainly in the '70s '80s '90s lots of gay kids left their smaller or mid-western towns to come to LA or SF, where they could be more free. But is that still true? It seems to me that these days, fewer kids move to LA strictly to be part of a gay scene.

In fact, some of the big discussion these days is if West Hollywood dying as a gay space. It used to be that the presence of the gays kept property and rent low, because nobody wanted to live near them, but, WeHo is crazy expensive now; it is not the place for a new arrived boy from Needles or Peoria to start a new life. Also, with the internet and online dating, it is less important to have places like that for older gay people to meet.

But, yes, Los Angeles still has a huge gay population. It hard to know, since the census doesn't really ask those questions, but, there are still a lot of gays in West Hollywood, Hollywood, Silverlake, Venice Beach. It is a bit of an exaggeration that all people in fashion, make-up, interior decorating, and design are gay, but there is a lot of them (us) there, and there is a lot of that type of work in Los Angeles.

But it seems that, for now, society is becoming more comfortable with the idea of homosexuality. And as a consequence, there is less force behind the idea to uproot and go to LA or SF or NYC, or to choose certain professions. And, (while in gay circles I might be crucified for saying so) I think that as the level of persecution has gone down, gay society has gotten more healthy: less drugs, less promiscuity, less desperation in general.
I just hope that everybody becomes private ...
I just hate how some gays seem desperate and want to make society GAY

I mean I'm okay with them but I hate the '' Hello I'm Ben and I'm gay '' and the '' in your face '' attitude ...

Don't worry I hate those desperate heteros too

I really don't want the '' gay scene '' having way too much presence like it has in the culture and in the movies ( come on now you have to be blind to not notice the gay thing in Hollywood ) ...

Not too mention the gay extremes ( too effimate and the '' gay jock '' or hypermasculine ) scare me out

My idea of a perfect society ? In public asexuality with celibacy image

No do NOT get it wrong I'm not asking not to have sex
But I would really love it if heteros and homos alike would just quiet it down

Almost like a quietness and a privacy

Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
It's funny that you say that Amelia because now that you brought it up, you may be on to something there. And this is based purely on walking the streets of San Francisco and walking the streets of LA. When I visit San Fran, I don't see the obvious gays walking down the street. There may be a sprinkling of them, but not like I would have thought considering SF is supposed to be gay central. Now if you walk around WeHo, there are gays a plenty and they're not afraid to show it either. As a gay man myself, I would be happy to have LA take the crown from SF.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
That's pretty funny.

Heteros are in the internet , in the bars and everywhere ( I'm hetero msyelf )
Gays are in the internet

Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM

364 posts, read 899,272 times
Amelia, are you 90? I can't imagine any person under the age of 90 thinking like this. Unless they were a bigot.

Perhaps you should move to the mid-west or to Sarah Palin's "America". Or, better yet, get a boyfriend. Or a girlfriend. Dependent upon what you like.

Los Angeles is a diverse community comprised of many wonderful diverse people from all backgrounds. Don't worry about others. Just worry about yourself. And lady - you have plenty to worry about. Intolerance for one thing.

And what in the $#@& are you talking about with the "gaying of Hollywood"? I think you've been going to the wrong movie theaters.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM

571 posts, read 1,753,578 times
That's interesting..! I thought too that SF was more of a gay community than West Hollywood..! I guess that's another stereotype..?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 AM

26,535 posts, read 25,686,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia12345678910 View Post
My idea of a perfect society ? In public asexuality with celibacy image
That sounds awful to me.

One of the things I like when I watch Spanish-language TV is how the people seem more outwardly sensual. I love that Latin men and women are more comfortable with their sexuality than the average white American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or