Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM

164 posts, read 314,994 times

Advertisements

We have never lived in LA...but both of us are from CA. I'm getting assigned to Los Angeles Air Force Base (LAAFB), Can someone please help figure out which area will suit our needs. Of course we need to focus on the commute time from somewhere east or north to LAAFB? Pretty much trying to arrive by 6:30 a.m and departing sometime around 4:00 p.m.

We are a family of three (one infant) and three dogs. We want to split our desire to have an easy commute with the ability to pull our toy hauler out to the desert to ride our ATVs/motorcycles. We need to park our 40 ft toy hauler and all toys at the house. Willing to ride the Metro but not sure how to find a good location. We have about $2800 a month to purchase a home.

Thanks appreciate your help...Any comments would also be appreciated and recommendations would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Is there any chance you could rent space for the toy hauler somewhere? That'll really open up your housing options on your budget. Why do you want to live north or east of the base and not south?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,523 times
LAAFB is fairly close to the Green Line light rail train. You might consider living at the east end of the Green Line in Norwalk. Norwalk has some decent suburban-style housing with longish driveways, and it isn't too expensive. Housing there is about $350k-$400k, so $2800 would be fine.

The single-family housing near LAAFB is fairly expensive, unfortunately, so probably out of reach.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Is there any chance you could rent space for the toy hauler somewhere? That'll really open up your housing options on your budget. Why do you want to live north or east of the base and not south?

Ther isn't any chance that I will rent a storage lot for the TH, that is one of my MUST-haves. My thoughts on north or east makes getting out of the city to potential riding areas easier, I could be wrong...

Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemedic View Post
Ther isn't any chance that I will rent a storage lot for the TH, that is one of my MUST-haves. My thoughts on north or east makes getting out of the city to potential riding areas easier, I could be wrong...
Unless you want to live 50+ miles away from work, the direction really won't matter much in terms of getting out of the city.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
The general thing people do these days is rent space for toy haulers. Most suburban cities ban commercial vehicles and recreational vehicles from overnight parking in the street and many HOAs in newer neighborhoods don't allow you to store them on the property. Basically, if you want to live in a good area you will need to look for a specific house with the capability of RV storage or you'll have to rent a storage space for it.

As far as Metro. The Green Line rail takes you right by the LAAFB if I recall and that gives you access to some good cities to the east. In particular, Lakewood, Downey, and Cerritos are at the east end of it and are cities with good families communities and close to the 91 fwy to get access to the High Desert/Mojave or to Lake Elsinore for watersports.

Cerritos is the most upscale, but also the most difficult to work your RV, toys, and even the number of animals in to as they're fairly strict with neighborhood regulation(can't even park your car on the street overnight unless you have a permit). Your budget is on the low end in Cerritos.

Lakewood will fit your budget and probably fits your demographic quite well. Stay east of Lakewood Blvd and west of the 605 fwy/Studebaker Rd. Lakewood permits you to park your RV on your property if it fits, but only on the street with 3 day permits.

Downey also has nice areas similar to Lakewood, but I'm not sure about RV parking. There are some areas to avoid as well.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Unless you want to live 50+ miles away from work, the direction really won't matter much in terms of getting out of the city.
Granted living in the South Bay will make it worse

Mike121 suggests Norwalk, which has some decent areas, but be wary as there are some very bad areas as well. Norwalk has a lot of long, thin lots with long driveways where RV parking is capable.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Granted living in the South Bay will make it worse
Yeah but I'd rather be closer to the place I go 5x a week than the place I go once a month.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Lets say I chose to live in Norwalk, not that I am; how long does a ride on the metro take? Is it a safe form of transportation...

Old 02-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I would rather ride the train for an hour one way and have room for my stuff, if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles