U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 PM

6,663 posts, read 27,043,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post
I just wanted to say that L.A. drivers tend to be rude, mean and discourteous. I don't know who to describe it. But when you turn on your blinkers, they cut you off deliberately. People also love to flip the bird here.

My mom, brother and I were driving and filming the beaches near Redondo Beach, and a car pulls up alongside us and starts to flick their middle fingers at the camera.

I don't know. People are just shady and unprofessional here.
Most of those drivers you despise are from other states like Washington. They usually are on suspended licenses as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,492,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Well, it doesn't snow in LA and doesn't rain that much either so no, OF COURSE people in LA aren't going to be as suave behind the wheel in those conditions.
In fact, many move to the place specifically so they can avoid such conditions! Imagine that!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 PM

831 posts, read 578,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Well, it doesn't snow in LA and doesn't rain that much either so no, OF COURSE people in LA aren't going to be as suave behind the wheel in those conditions.

Dont be daft, it snowed last year, if i must be particular, it was here in Santa Clarita and it did so 2-3 days. And it was funny as hell seing people do the same crap as if it were on a dry sunny day, needless to say many accidents as a result.

Rain? well, i've driven in places like italy, hong kong, algeria and people in those places dont have led foot when it rains, they too have some bad drivers but not as dumb as LA drivers are. A lot of people dont even know what SAFE Braking Distance means, they accelerate heavy and brake just as hard as if making an Emergency stop. Some people are just meant to be passengers only. Not behind the wheel.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:12 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,632,693 times
Oh, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, it "snowed" in Santa Clarita and now everybody in LA is a horrible driver because they weren't exactly familiar with it. I just think you drive around the wrong people Me, I have almost the opposite opinion about drivers in LA.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 AM

13,457 posts, read 25,387,283 times
The question on my mind is, "was it really snow, or hail that they called snow?"

Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
People, there are too many people, that's the answer. We cannot cope with being in such close proximity to so many other people and we lash out by being rude while in our cars because the vehicle is, in subconscious thoughts, a sort of mask which shields us from the consequences such actions would have were we to behave in such a way while, for example, in a shopping mall. From then on you also have to account for the people who drive like [mod]expletive[/mod] simply because they are tired of being cut off.
Oh, and not to forget JohnG72 and the 405- some people drive like a four letter word for doo-doo and we just can't do anything about it.

Last edited by Count David; 04-25-2012 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: language

Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,492,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natecarrollwhittier View Post
People, there are too many people, that's the answer. We cannot cope with being in such close proximity to so many other people and we lash out by being rude while in our cars because the vehicle is, in subconscious thoughts, a sort of mask which shields us from the consequences such actions would have were we to behave in such a way while, for example, in a shopping mall. From then on you also have to account for the people who drive like Moderator cut: expletive simply because they are tired of being cut off.
Oh, and not to forget JohnG72 and the 405- some people drive like a four letter word for doo-doo and we just can't do anything about it.
But don't think too long or deeply about it, or you'll end up rearending the ******* that just cut you off and slammed on his brakes in front of you.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,832,627 times
I grew up in L.A., then lived in Sacramento, then the Washington, DC area and some places overseas. I found L.A. drivers better than most, in part due to stricter enforcement by police. The DC area had the added disvantage of occasional snow, and even ice; some 4x4 drivers thought they could drive fast even in those conditions, forgetting that 4x4 didn't help then stop any quicker. I'm in Brazil right now, and if you think L.A. drivers are rude and reckless, you do NOT want to come here (not only bad drivers, but far worse roads and more cars in poor condition). In L.A. I got used to cars stopping for pedestrians (again, largely to avoid a ticket), at least in crosswalks. When I got to the East Coast, I almost got killed using the same assumption.

The one place I'd regard as having the most considerate drivrs was northern Scotland. There were some one-lane roads with turnouts. Ónce in a while I'd pull over to let a car coming the other way proceed, and invariably they'd pull over in a turnout near them and flash their lights saying, "No, you go ahead." And no, it wasn't a trap. In South Africa, on high speed highways with one lane each direction, cars would come up right behind you (I mean RIGHT behind you) and flash their lights. You were supposed to pull over-- not stopping, still driving-- into the emergency lane until they passed, and then pull back into the actual lane of traffic and go on. Most of them did flash their lights in "thanks" after passing you, however.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,073,576 times
Definitely the capital of rude, horrible, reckless drivers. Drivers will tailgate behind another driver, switch lanes to pass the driver and return to the same line in front, and cross red lights.

Yeah, when it comes to annoying drivers, LA is definitely the winner.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 AM

457 posts, read 669,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Drivers will tailgate behind another driver, switch lanes to pass the driver and return to the same line in front, and cross red lights.
Seem to be the right thing to do if you are hogging the left lane. Don't drive in Germany if these are your expectations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles