U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,656,866 times

Advertisements

Maybe this thread should be a sticky. Driving, and the aggravation it causes, is one thing most people in this town have in common. But because of the atomistic nature of driving, we have no forum to discuss etiquette. Or simply to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,181,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah I'm mostly talking about the times when I am penned in with people in front of me and some jerk still tailgates, that's when I start to slow up.
If it's slow everywhere you're not going to have a problem with me. I only tailgate when people behave like selfish jackasses. Whenever I'm in the passing lane and I notice someone approaching me, I pull over and let him pass outta courtesy. Even if I'm flying myself, I don't care the fastest car gets precedence on the passing lane. I expect the same, and I don't get it I make sure to let the guy know I'm unhappy.

If someone is tailgating me, I don't really care. If I'm in a passing lane, I pull over. If I'm not and going with the flow of traffic, I continue with the flow of traffic. I don't slow down for him or make his life more of a hell than it already is. He'll pull around me eventually.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Thats very true but even with all their faults (and they have many) Seattle driver's don't display your level of stupidity behind the wheel. A retarded monkey on LSD has better judgement than you do.

Congratulations sir, you have achieved asshat level 9000
I know you're one of those safe, careful drivers The guy with a clear view of the road ahead and a line of cars behind ....

Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've not driven in LA but have other places around the country and FL is clearly the worst.

Lost of old drivers, foreign drivers and tourists unfamiliar with where they are going as well as the vehicle they are operating (rental cars).

Then mix in the younger locals that drive super fast and aggressively trying to negotiate around these guys asap.

LA's problem is likely exacerbated by a lot of people that learned how to drive in Mexico City which from what I've heard resembles a Mad Max movie.
I think it's all the retirees. I've driven in PR and they were all way and beyond better than Miami drivers. Hell, I drive in Mexico a lot and they are also way and beyond Miami drivers Miami gets this weird mix of super aggressive and SUPER passive. It makes navigating the highways a pain in the ass.

Maybe I should drive in Cuba before I get to the bottom of it

Old 04-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Hey, that's offensive to mentally challenged people.

And monkees.

And LSD.
Hey guys, I understand that passive timid drivers are gonna be annoyed by me but you always got the option of public transportation. It's getting better in LA every day

Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM

497 posts, read 1,335,811 times
I pass slower moving traffic as well, but bumping into them is a big no-no.

You bump the wrong person and all hell can break loose.. physical or legal be careful with that one. All they have to do is get your plate and ID you and its hit and run.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:43 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,656,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Hey guys, I understand that passive timid drivers are gonna be annoyed by me but you always got the option of public transportation. It's getting better in LA every day
I'm glad you're on board!

Somedays, I drive just the the same way.

I'm serious: this should be a sticky.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
I pass slower moving traffic as well, but bumping into them is a big no-no.

You bump the wrong person and all hell can break loose.. physical or legal be careful with that one. All they have to do is get your plate and ID you and its hit and run.
They have no proof it's a hit and run. Bumper to bumper, it's my front license plate getting pressed into their bumper if anything is traded it's their paint onto my license plate something I'll wash off if I need too.

I agree sometimes things spiral outta control and you always wonder if it's worth it. But that being said, I have friends who are much less aggressive than me who were involved in more serious road age incidents than me. Perhaps because the people I target know deep down in their heart they were driving like jerks. Maybe...

I actually only got in 2 incidents that led to a fight. One was in the otay mesa car line waiting to cross back into the usa. Not much to say there. The other was when me and this driver were swerving at each other on a neighborhood street. Eventually he lost concentration and rapidly changed lanes and hit another car. I pulled over to make sure no one was hurt (note: my car didn't touch anyone's car) and I got greeted with a very angry guy. We ended up spending the night in jail, but in the end all assault charges on me were dropped. I did get slapped with an at fault claim (so did the guy who actually crashed) for reckless driving even though my car never physically hit anything or anyone. My insurance went up. Yeah, sometimes it's just not worth it.

Other than road etiquette what'd make this thread interesting would be the stories of your worst road rage stories.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM

497 posts, read 1,335,811 times
I dont go to mexico, so I dont know about waiting in lines at the border and the type of drivers down there. But, I did have a guy try and throw a brick at my car because I blew around him on the 405 once. I got his plate just in case he hit my car.

I dont get too involved with anyone..moving to fast and way too much to lose.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,513,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
We ended up spending the night in jail, but in the end all assault charges on me were dropped. I did get slapped with an at fault claim (so did the guy who actually crashed) for reckless driving even though my car never physically hit anything or anyone. My insurance went up. Yeah, sometimes it's just not worth it.
Question is, was a lesson learned?

Any highway patrol officer you ask will tell you, "Don't try to punish other drivers for perceived grievances on the road." Especially in L.A. - wasn't that long ago that many people were getting shot on the freeways for even looking at another driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles