Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I have driven in New York City for 40 years, including two as a cab driver. Also, in many cities up and down the East Coast, Las Vegas, Sand Diego, and Los Angeles.
The biggest buttheads are found in NYC. Any luxury sports sedan (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) or small sports car (Honda, Toyota) seems to come with a license to be an Moderator cut: expletive in NYC. Aggressive, obnoxious, road hogs.
My observation in LA was a distinct lack of aggression comparatively speaking. If anything, it appeared that there was a certain lack of awareness of those around them. Also the lack of intensity found in NYC.
San Diego drivers seemed more aggressive.
Traffic aside, I found LA driving less stressful than NYC, Florida or San Diego. Even the traffic seemed to flow a little better despite being backed up. If nothing else, at least the scenery in LA is much more pleasant when stuck on the 405!!!!!

Last edited by Count David; 04-07-2012 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 AM

38 posts, read 102,306 times
Haha,

This thread is hilarious

Try driving in and around London, England if you really want to see mad, bad and dangerous behavior...

- people running reds THE WHOLE TIME
- 90 to 100mph on the freeways IN ALL WEATHERS
- let you in ? What, ARE YOU HAVING A Moderator cut: profane LAUGH ?
- driving a massive truck round a tight corner (London has a ton of these) while talking on your cell and smoking a cigarette ? Commonplace ! Who gives a Moderator cut: profane about cyclists ?

The only saving grace is the almost complete absence of firearams due to the strict gun control. Hence, in most cases of road rage, the parties drive away shouting but not shooting...

Last edited by Count David; 04-09-2012 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-07-2012, 09:37 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
For what it's worth, I have driven in New York City for 40 years, including two as a cab driver. Also, in many cities up and down the East Coast, Las Vegas, Sand Diego, and Los Angeles.
The biggest buttheads are found in NYC. Any luxury sports sedan (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) or small sports car (Honda, Toyota) seems to come with a license to be an Moderator cut: expletive in NYC. Aggressive, obnoxious, road hogs.
Been to NYC many times but never drove there. It looks like a driving nightmare from the outside. No parking spots, expensive parking spots that I never bothered. The PT is so good, having a car is really only for the super rich there.

Quote:
My observation in LA was a distinct lack of aggression comparatively speaking. If anything, it appeared that there was a certain lack of awareness of those around them. Also the lack of intensity found in NYC.
San Diego drivers seemed more aggressive.
I'm going to have to disagree. I'm a LA native who has spent several years in SD. SD are faster drivers, but they aren't as aggressive (such as merging into traffic, letting you merge) as LA drivers. And I'm going to have to disagree that driving in LA traffic isn't stressful, being stuck in gridlock is the most stressful aspect of LA traffic for me. I rather drive 4 hours than lurch about for 2. When I lived there (don't anymore) I got a good sense of where and when to take the roads to avoid the bad traffic, every now and then when I come back to visit friends and families I **** up, and just end up on a freeway parking lot. The drivers could all be mother theresa clones, it'll still be more stressful than any other city you mentioned.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherofsouls View Post
Haha,

This thread is hilarious

Try driving in and around London, England if you really want to see mad, bad and dangerous behavior...

- people running reds THE WHOLE TIME
- 90 to 100mph on the freeways IN ALL WEATHERS
- let you in ? What, ARE YOU HAVING A Moderator cut: profane LAUGH ?
- driving a massive truck round a tight corner (London has a ton of these) while talking on your cell and smoking a cigarette ? Commonplace ! Who gives a Moderator cut: profane about cyclists ?

The only saving grace is the almost complete absence of firearams due to the strict gun control. Hence, in most cases of road rage, the parties drive away shouting but not shooting...
lol I spent a lot of time in London. Never drove there but I remember taking a taxi with my gf at the time to our place when another taxi cut us off only for our taxi driver to drive up and cut him off (and this repeated on and off, with each driver yelling at each other). I admit at the time I was hammered and was kinda egging our driver on

Last edited by Count David; 04-09-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM

356 posts, read 1,066,242 times
Go to Rome, NYC, Mexico city and you'll see that LA drivers are *******

Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 AM

Does anyone get annoyed at overly polite drivers?

Like the driver who lets you go at the 4-way stop even though it's his turn? Or when you wanna make a left and the guy with the straight-shot brakes for you?

It kinda pisses me off tbh. For one it makes me feel like I'm imposing for another it Moderator cut: profane up the flow of traffic (though in a way that benefits me, I guess I shouldn't complain!).

Last edited by Count David; 04-09-2012 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Been to NYC many times but never drove there. It looks like a driving nightmare from the outside. No parking spots, expensive parking spots that I never bothered. The PT is so good, having a car is really only for the super rich there.

I'm going to have to disagree. I'm a LA native who has spent several years in SD. SD are faster drivers, but they aren't as aggressive (such as merging into traffic, letting you merge) as LA drivers. And I'm going to have to disagree that driving in LA traffic isn't stressful, being stuck in gridlock is the most stressful aspect of LA traffic for me. I rather drive 4 hours than lurch about for 2. When I lived there (don't anymore) I got a good sense of where and when to take the roads to avoid the bad traffic, every now and then when I come back to visit friends and families I **** up, and just end up on a freeway parking lot. The drivers could all be mother theresa clones, it'll still be more stressful than any other city you mentioned.
In all fairness, we were in SD for only 10 days, so I can't argue with you. While I agree that being stuck in traffic is extremely frustrating, it just seemed worse in NYC. We were on the 405 twice during Friday rush hour, and maybe because of the novelty, the scenery was somuch more relaxing that what you usually see around you in NYC that it didn't bother us as much.

Also, the gridlock in LA seemed to drop off after a few hours. Here, the Long Island Expressway can stay blocked up from 2 PM until 10 PM on weekends.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
In all fairness, we were in SD for only 10 days, so I can't argue with you. While I agree that being stuck in traffic is extremely frustrating, it just seemed worse in NYC. We were on the 405 twice during Friday rush hour, and maybe because of the novelty, the scenery was somuch more relaxing that what you usually see around you in NYC that it didn't bother us as much.

Also, the gridlock in LA seemed to drop off after a few hours. Here, the Long Island Expressway can stay blocked up from 2 PM until 10 PM on weekends.
Again, never drove in NYC so it might be worse. Way worse but there is no way LA gridlock drops off after several hours in the hotspots. I gotta ask which sections of LA were you driving because 405 is one of the worst freeways in LA especially when you're past the 105 (Lennox, Inglewood, Ladera Heights, up to about west Los Angeles) however if you're south of the 105 (near the beach communities of Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, into LB and into OC until it starts picking up at John Wayne airport) it really isn't that bad and more is like you described. Also if you're in the SFV, it again ain't that bad. But in those areas I mentioned? Ha, we're talking traffic from 7AM to 8-9PM weekdays. There is no good way to avoid it.

The worst by far is the 110 though.

Last edited by PosterExtraordinaire; 04-07-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 05:05 PM

215 posts, read 490,943 times
I find the drivers here much nicer and less aggressive than the midwest. I have never had someone not let me merge on the highway. I rarely hear people honk their horns, and I have never had anyone flip me the bird. In both Chicago and Minneapolis I have gotten honked at for very little and I have had to wait to merge because people will literally hit you if you try to sneak in like I do down here. I do however think there are a lot of bad drivers here, I get cut off daily. People try to change lanes without looking quite often.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 PM

131 posts, read 323,240 times
I learned to drive in L.A. and the cops there actually teach you how to drive. Ticket after ticket after ticket after ticket and it didn't stop until I moved out of the city into county.

The rude drivers are from elsewhere. Believe me that most Angelinos are very defensive drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles