U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
 
687 posts, read 923,116 times
Reputation: 222

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontucky View Post
i say what others are thinking. That's why i was always in trouble back in school daze.
!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Reputation: 45402
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so in the LA area we do have some pretty heavily latino areas that can be pretty safe, with catholic schools and such. would they be cheap? some of them. i will list some cities to look at. starting with the most expensive and safest.

Whittier
Downey
Alhambra

Monterrey PArk
Montebello
SF Springs

Bell
Southgate
Inglewood
Pico Rivera

Lynwood
Maywood
Huntington Park
Compton

East Lost
Watts
Historic South central
Florence
etc etc.

you can also check the LA times Homicide report to get a better understanding of crime in different cities and zip codes. check wiki pages on these cities. check the CD stats.

its pretty easy.
all this is true, but remember they have almost no income and want to rent for almost nothing. Of course there are many areas that are heavily Hispanic; there is more to this picture than that plus some you have mentioned are not totally safe as the op is asking for...

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Reputation: 45402
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom17 View Post
San Fernando would be the perfect city for you. It's got at least two Catholic Schools (St. Ferdinand and look the other up at L.A. archdioses website) and it is a very nice and safe hispanic community. You can walk and not feel scared. It is it's own city and is kept up well. It's located about 25 miles north of Los Angeles. Don't move to Los Angeles. You want a suburb.
and where in the area wil they rent 3 bedrooms or at least 2 including all utilites for $1100 a month?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Spokane,wa
11 posts, read 28,948 times
Reputation: 12
Excuses me!? Almost no income?! I-we take offence to that statement. I can work as well as my sister however my mother cannot unfortunately considering she used to work at the bank many years ago. However that isn’t the point. We are low income just wanting a good affordable Hispanic community AND ME NOT GOING TO COLLEGE IS NOT going to happen. I am in school to be a chef so I will have income just not right now. Thank you for all who have helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
 
10,630 posts, read 23,936,811 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebos View Post
Excuses me!? Almost no income?! I-we take offence to that statement. I can work as well as my sister however my mother cannot unfortunately considering she used to work at the bank many years ago. However that isn’t the point. We are low income just wanting a good affordable Hispanic community AND ME NOT GOING TO COLLEGE IS NOT going to happen. I am in school to be a chef so I will have income just not right now. Thank you for all who have helped.
erebos, I don't think Nita was intending to be offensive. "Can work" is different than "has a job." You say you "can" work, but that is going to depend on finding someone to give you a job; Los Angeles has one of the worst job markets in the nation right now, and there are a lot of other qualified, hard-working, ambitious people out there all also looking for work. That's nothing personal against you or your sister; it's just the reality for far too many people (people who can also all work, and are desperate to work) in LA right now. Anyone -- however deserving and motivated -- who considers a move to LA at this point in time needs to be prepared for the fact that it's very possible that they won't be able to line up any jobs for a long time after arriving. That's not a personal insult, it's the reality of the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Reputation: 45402
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebos View Post
Excuses me!? Almost no income?! I-we take offence to that statement. I can work as well as my sister however my mother cannot unfortunately considering she used to work at the bank many years ago. However that isn’t the point. We are low income just wanting a good affordable Hispanic community AND ME NOT GOING TO COLLEGE IS NOT going to happen. I am in school to be a chef so I will have income just not right now. Thank you for all who have helped.
I am sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, but you said you are on a fixed income plus there are no jobs or almost no jobs in Calif so, yes, you are on almost no income. As for going to college, you will have to pay out of state tuition no matter where you move. Yes, after you graduate you may be able to get a job, but I am talking about now. What you want and what you can get are two totally different things. Again, I didn't mean to insult you, I was pointing out what you will be up against. That is all. I am really sorry.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 AM
 
4,100 posts, read 7,811,918 times
Reputation: 4784
El Monte has a strong Hispanic and Catholic community, and there are places to rent for under $1100. Usually that includes water and trash, but not electricity and gas. (Your heat, water heater, and stove will probably be gas.) Also, it's common for rentals not to have a refrigerator or a stove, so you'd need to provide your own (or do without).

I don't know if you will have trouble finding a place that allows dogs.

The neighborhoods might not be the greatest. On the other hand, obviously low-income does not mean criminal. There are gangs, but they probably wouldn't bother women and a small child.

Your schooling might be a problem because of the out-of-state tuition. Have you already chosen a school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Glendale/Los Angeles
571 posts, read 1,751,450 times
Reputation: 239
UGH I had posted a whole response but then lost it when I logged in. Don't worry about everyone and their negativity. I know the place for you .. San Fernando or North Hills.

San Fernando


Clean, safe, a nice majority Hispanic small city at the top of the San Fernando Valley. Historic. Great schools and churches. Festivals, street carnivals, events, etc for most of the Mexican holidays. Nice downtown that feels a bit like you are in Mexico. Lots of shops with facades from the 60s and such - historic looking. Major L.A. destination for dresses, recuerdos, etc. for bodas y quinces, baby showers, etc. . As well as the normal merchants and restaurants you would expect to see in a Hispanic community. Residents are very active in the city. It's small so they have a handle on every corner of the city. Has it's own police department that is very active and very fast response time. Rent might be a little too much for you here. It is hard to find a place because of the fact that when you type in 'San Fernando' on Craigslist rentals section it will pull up everything saying 'San Fernando Valley' which is like -half the ads lol. Also because it is so small and is mostly houses.

North Hills

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place. It is definitely a majority Hispanic community though not as pulled together as San Fernando since it's part of L.A. They may not have events and such here but you definitely feel the culture and community around you. Also fairly close to San Fernando for when there are events and such there. I just moved to North Hills. I had my heart set on San Fernando but my realtor had a listing here and I loved it and was much cheaper. North Hills is very cheap because of the reputation it has. It used to be VERY bad. There are still some parts that are sketchy. But it is improving in leaps and bounds. The schools are improving - notably Plummer Elementary whose principal recently won an award for turning the school around - and a new police station in the general area resulted in a MUCH more active police department in the area and a much safer community. I always see them out doing routine traffic stops because they have nothing else to do anymore. As for culture.. there is plenty of shopping and things to do. I live on Nordhoff and within a 5 minute drive of my house there are 2 indoor swap meets, 5 different Mexican grocery chains, tons of smaller latino grocery stores, tons of panaderias, a place to buy fresh chicken and I think other animals as well, a mall with a Wal-Mart, a Mexican Plaza, and The Plant Van Nuys which has a movie theater, Home Depot, Babies R Us, Hometown Buffet, arcade, restaurants, etc. Taco trucks on every corner. Selling everything from puposas to semitas. My husband grew up around here as well and he had a great Mexican-American childhood that had a perfect blend. The rents here are going to be more affordable. You can find a 2 bedroom for 1100 and a 3 bedroom for possibly 1300-1400. I can see why people would call this area "ghetto" and in some ways it is but it's not dangerous by any means. I'm 22 and white (hubby is Mexican thus my understanding and love for a community like this) and I am fine walking my dog or walking to the store by myself. I thought before moving here that this would not be the case - because I had heard the reputation. But I can tell you from living here it is MUCH nicer than I gave it credit for. Might not be the best place if you aren't Hispanic but an awesome place if you are..!!

Please e-mail me I would love to talk with you more and help you find the perfect place to live. I have been looking at apartments/guest houses for my MIL in my area as well so I know the prices and everything. I would love to help you find some links so you can see what you can get for the money. I understand what you are looking for in terms of culture and community. I hope you can find it and I would love to help. My e-mail is bj_osterhout@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Glendale/Los Angeles
571 posts, read 1,751,450 times
Reputation: 239
Here's a few examples .. they don't include utilities but do allow dogs.
A Must See!!!..Hardwood Floors!!! - Low Security Deposit and More!!! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1591565915.html - broken link)

This is in Van Nuys which is close to North Hills.
2 + 1 MOVE IN SPECIAL (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1588010421.html - broken link)

What you may need is something like this -
Van Nuys House (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1586321160.html - broken link)
house for rent (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1590862881.html - broken link)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1585790458.html (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1584288029.html - broken link)(no pets - but very nice area)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1594099882.html (broken link)

Some of the other areas you/others mentioned
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/1594941711.html (broken link)
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/apa/1569148416.html (broken link)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/1595233635.html (broken link)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1585532483.html (broken link)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/1591581178.html (broken link)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1589654061.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Anaheim
1,960 posts, read 3,681,980 times
Reputation: 1337
Quote:
Mexico isn’t an option for me and my family. I am just wanting a place that has the cultural aspect to it POSTIVE that is. I was online and the following cities/communities pop up can anyone tell me in there like or hear about them



No offense to anyone's culture, but when I read Latino-themed editorials or stories, whether in English or in Spanish, what I hear is "let's not lose our culture".

The very fact of what you have stated above is that you recognize that SOMETHING has already been lost.

Also, it seems that you fear that whatever is left of the Latino culture in your family will be diluted even more if you don't move to a "Latino" neighborhood.

I'm sorry, but I would have to agree with Fontucky and others......what you want is going to be found in Mexico or along the Mexican border.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top