U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,968,270 times

Advertisements

PBergen got it. There is an elementary school in the area that is used often for filming. Nice old brick, New-England type building.

This artwalk guide has a pretty good map of the area.

:::::::::::::FROGTOWN ARTWALK 2009:::::::::::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Hey Nick:

A little aside here, but what area there is considered "Frogtown"?

I remember my grandfather calling where his dad's house was (off San Fernando Road) a place for "changos" (monkeys) but didn't know about Frogtown.

Is that the strip on the OTHER side of the river from San Fernando Road/Cypress Ave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 12:10 PM

7 posts, read 4,933 times
Default Cypress Park - Safe Now!

I moved to Cypress Park about a year ago, so Im more knowledgeable about it than I am about K-Town.

Cypress Park, while it used to be pretty bad (Ive been hearing the stories since Ive been here), has changed quite a bit in the last few years. The days of gang violence, drugs and shootings are gone. Cypress Park is still a slightly gritty neighborhood with a large Latino population located just north of DTLA, and sandwiched between the more well established "Hipster" neighborhoods of Highland Park and Silverlake/Echo Park. I think for these reasons, and the fact that it sits between Griffith Park, Mt Washington, Ernst Debs Park and the LA River Bike Path, its starting to become more popular now that a lot of the crime has ended.

The vibe in Cypress Park is heavily Latino (Mexican and El Salvadorian), but it also has a growing population of "outsiders", like myself. The housing here is a mix of appartments, condos, and 100 year old Craftsman Bungalows. Prices are (for now) more affordable than other areas of central LA. Most of the residents here have been in the area forever. Some parts are really quiet, while closer to Fig and San Fernando, its a bit busier. Its not a big area for drinking, but Highland Park is just up the street.

Im much less familiar with K-Town, but I used to hang out there. Its a bit more "urban" and definitely more densely populated. Its obviously very Korean, but in recent years non-Koreans have been hanging out there more and more. My Korean friends find it funny that white people are now finding K-town a cool area to hang out in. Korea Town definitely has more bars and clubs...hands down.

If you're coming from Los Feliz, I would think Cypress Park would be a closer fit. But Korea Town would be more Walkable. Just my 2 cents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles