Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw1 View Post
I think you should write at the online content mills such as Demand Studios. That is your best chance at being able to get the income you need to stay in LA due to high unemployment in SoCal. The work is not enjoyable but you can get $15+/hr, which should be enough of a survival wage. The best part is you can write for a month from Detroit to make sure it's do-able before you pull the trigger and move to LA. The online writing thing does stink and some good writers do struggle with it.

The strange thing is that 10 years ago, it was very hard for journalism and English majors to get a writing job so they would need to work at Starbucks. Today, even with the down economy, it's pretty easy to get an online writing gig even though the work isn't fun.
Yea,that is strange and interesting.
Heck,people are even teaching english online/tutoring thru companies,using Skype,from anywhere in the world,and making 10/12 bucks an hour. Not much,but you know,you dont have to commute and can make your own hours. There are opportunities for sure,and I think more will be local and online,and small business/self-employed in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 PM

73 posts, read 205,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
OP is 'original poster';it is common ettiquette in any internet forum,and you will not find it only here on City date forum. It's not an insult or anything.

People just need more info about yoru situation-so they can give the best suggestions.
There are alot of people on here who really want to be helpful,and who are long time CA residents. That's why they ask for details-b/c there are so many variables that change the suggestions.
Thank you

Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw1 View Post
I think you should write at the online content mills such as Demand Studios. That is your best chance at being able to get the income you need to stay in LA due to high unemployment in SoCal. The work is not enjoyable but you can get $15+/hr, which should be enough of a survival wage. The best part is you can write for a month from Detroit to make sure it's do-able before you pull the trigger and move to LA. The online writing thing does stink and some good writers do struggle with it.

The strange thing is that 10 years ago, it was very hard for journalism and English majors to get a writing job so they would need to work at Starbucks. Today, even with the down economy, it's pretty easy to get an online writing gig even though the job market stinks.
Thank you so much.
That's good advice

Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
To respond to what a few of you have said - YES, I have worked for several newspapers before (AND a magazine). I got paid per article. They paid VERY little (next to nothing), and were so incredibly time-consuming!!! I want to spend my time doing my own writing (like working on a novel . . . which will probably take me 2-3 yrs considering the way that I am), so I want a job that is not overly time-consuming.

And to Irmsd, I have visited LA before. I was there a year and a half ago, and I loved it.

...what is San Diego like?
San diego is slower paced than LA a little.But has some similar so cal vibe/beach communities,weather. Check out other threads on this forum b/c they are extensive.
SD is also a little cheaper,and has a large writer's community [do a google search],and the air quality overall is much better [not that you were concerned about that];also the beaches are better in SD. More coastline options to choose from,too. There are small coastal communities like encinitas and solana beach that feel very santa monica/LA-ish,and are do-able w/no car.
SD as a whole is not great w/o a car,though,honestly. Different than LA,but also not great.

Look,people are asking you questions to be able to give you advice. You seem defensive as though people are being condesdending,but honestly that is not the case. AGain,hundreds of people post with similar questions,and unless someone understands your background,they cannot give you advice.

Also,you say you want a 'less demanding job'-that is very vague,and job competition is tough. So a mindless telemarketing type job will be hard to get,and even then will only pay maybe 10 or 12 or 15 at most per hour. People assumed you wanted to do something in your field,until you said otherwise. It has taken several posts to get the following:
1)you will have you BA degree adn experience writing for newspapers
2)it is a degree in journalism/communication,but you dont want to write for a living b/c you perceive/experience that it's too long hours for too little pay
3)you really want to write a novel,and work to support that process
4)you want a job that is rewarding but not demanding
5)you have dreamed of coming to LA since you were a little girl.
6)you have visited LA already and loved it

I can understand that you rpobably dont want to share alot of personal information,but the above numbered list is really NOT that personal,and if you had said that upfront,there would be no need for vague replies, and you might get more optomistic repsonses. People are usually trying to be helpful,though I agree that the overall tone is 'don't come to CA',which is why I try to mention what I think it realistic long term. Details help-b/c there ARE people who want to come,sight unseen,and with very little money and no job,and are not aware of the pitfalls and the current economic situation.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 PM

15 posts, read 30,610 times
Quote:
To respond to what a few of you have said - YES, I have worked for several newspapers before (AND a magazine). I got paid per article. They paid VERY little (next to nothing), and were so incredibly time-consuming!!! I want to spend my time doing my own writing (like working on a novel . . . which will probably take me 2-3 yrs considering the way that I am), so I want a job that is not overly time-consuming.
Print stinks... it's dying... there's no money in it for freelancers. I agree writing for print publications is a waste of time. Ignore the job search advice from your professors if it included print.

Online content mills are where the money is at. You still get paid per article but there are over 100k titles that need to be written between the various online content mills.

Last edited by jmw1; 02-10-2010 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Hi - I'm making a move down to west LA in about a month, and I'll only have $3,000 at my disposal. Also, I won't have a car (oh yea - don't have a job either).
What walkable (and safe) areas could I get away with staying at for a few months [so that I can buy myself time to find a job]??
I'm 22/F.
Also, what districts/areas would I be most likely to find work at with a BA?
I need to be near a walkable area that would also be easier than other LA areas to find a job at. thanks!
santa monica,seal beach/redondon beach [south bay],north hollywood [hit or miss neighborhoods,but i know people who have lived there for years and have great rent control and cool old buildings...has been gentrified somewhat]. That's all I got for areas....w/o a car,especially. sorry. (though maybe downtown-anyone think this would work?)

Silver Lake/Echo park,maybe? for urban hip,but not on westside,but still artsy cool places w/gentrification? anyone?

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-10-2010 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think $3,000 will last you far longer than one month or six weeks, but that all depends on what's coming out of it. If you're planning on trying to get a regular year lease then that will probably eat up the whole amount right there, with deposit, first month's rent, and depending on the landlord, very likely last month's rent if you don't have a job lined up. I agree that renting a room, ideally a furnished room that rents by the month, is the way to go. Your money will last a lot longer that way.

I was also going to add that I see you're moving to west LA (sorry, missed the "west" part earlier; that's too bad from the public transportation standpoint, as you'll be stuck with buses and bad traffic, and won't have as central access to some jobs. On the plus side, maybe you can find a cheap room rental somewhere like Westwood; with so many students coming and going (even during the academic year) you can probably find something relatively short-term and affordable around there, then make the switch to a more permanent place once you have a job and a final budget.
oh! westwood is a great idea! ucla area. I second that!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM

Arrow Here's the deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Also,you say you want a 'less demanding job'-that is very vague,and job competition is tough. So a mindless telemarketing type job will be hard to get,and even then will only pay maybe 10 or 12 or 15 at most per hour. People assumed you wanted to do something in your field,until you said otherwise. It has taken several posts to get the following:
1)you will have you BA degree adn experience writing for newspapers
2)it is a degree in journalism/communication,but you dont want to write for a living b/c you perceive/experience that it's too long hours for too little pay
3)you really want to write a novel,and work to support that process
4)you want a job that is rewarding but not demanding
5)you have dreamed of coming to LA since you were a little girl.
6)you have visited LA already and loved it
I actually never said that I want a "less demanding job;" I simply stated that I want one that is not too TIME-CONSUMING (as in, a 9-5 job would be preferable over a 24/7 hard news journalism job). And I also stated that initially I will need a job that is an easier one to land - not that the job itself is easy or less demanding, but that it is easier to get recruited for.

And the list would be:
1) I have experience writing for a print magazine, and several different newspapers.
2) I have a BA in writing, but I'd probably like to get in to something that allows me more free time than a writing career.
3) Part of what I want that free time for is to do my own writing (like writing a novel which will most likely take me 2-3 years).
4) Part of what I want that free time for is to pursue acting (I know, I know..), and film.
5) I also want free time to just really LIVE LIFE. ~Instead of being busy-busy all the time.
6) I simply want a job that will pay the rent. I want my own bedroom, and that is all that I'm asking.
7) And yes, I've dreamed of living in LA since I was a little girl.
8) And yup, I've visited LA already and love it!
9) I won't have a car when I move there with $3,000. And I'm moving there by myself.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
I actually never said that I want a "less demanding job;" I simply stated that I want one that is not too TIME-CONSUMING (as in, a 9-5 job would be preferable over a 24/7 hard news journalism job). And I also stated that initially I will need a job that is an easier one to land - not that the job itself is easy or less demanding, but that it is easier to get recruited for.

And the list would be:
1) I have experience writing for a print magazine, and several different newspapers.
2) I have a BA in writing, but I'd probably like to get in to something that allows me more free time than a writing career.
3) Part of what I want that free time for is to do my own writing (like writing a novel which will most likely take me 2-3 years).
4) Part of what I want that free time for is to pursue acting (I know, I know..), and film.
5) I also want free time to just really LIVE LIFE. ~Instead of being busy-busy all the time.
6) I simply want a job that will pay the rent. I want my own bedroom, and that is all that I'm asking.
7) And yes, I've dreamed of living in LA since I was a little girl.
8) And yup, I've visited LA already and love it!
9) I won't have a car when I move there with $3,000. And I'm moving there by myself.
I highly advise you to get a car, especially when moving to a new city. It is going to be a nightmare without it. Not to mention it would be very unsafe. Now on to a cheap room, here is a listing with many of them for you to take a look at.

los angeles rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
come out here then and have a blast. It is an amazing place to live. I for one love it. Kind of nice to be so close to so many cool places and things to do.

Did they happen to tell you in school the average earnings a book will bring you? Last I read that you could make $5,000 to $20,000 from a book. As you said you want to take 3 years to write it. If you can sell the book chances are as a new author you should be able to get $5,000 for your trouble. My dad has written quite a bit and sells what he writes. I can go to the bookstore today and see his books for sale. Guess what? Writing just doesn't pay much. From time to time a break out book will make the lucky writer very wealthy. That doesn't happen often though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles