Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 AM

49 posts, read 180,914 times

Advertisements

OP... in 2000 i packed up my car and and moved from boston to LA with 3k in my glove compartment. it took me about 3 months to land a job in graphic design. it was the best thing ive ever done in my life and i love LA with all my heart. unfortunately my wife and i made a decision to move to denver for a job op. were now selling our house and also moving back to LA (santa monica) this year. what your doing is risky as you dont have alot of money but you absolutely can follow your heart and do anything you want to. you can make it work. it might be hard at times but step back, think and make your own decision. too many people on here are extremely negative. stay positive and follow your heart. best of luck!

also, for the person commenting on CA's recovery and need for entrepreneurs, i couldnt agree more. alas, im quitting my job here and starting my own design studio in santa monica.

Last edited by wilczy; 02-11-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
wilczy, I think it's fine for the OP to make the move if she has some savings, but as for the reason people are being negative: the job situation is a night and day difference now than it was even a few years ago. A lot of us moved to LA at some point in the past and found jobs quickly. For many people that's no longer the case. Anyone who came to LA and found a job before 2008 was in a completely different situation than are the people who show up today. There's nothing wrong with someone who has no dependents to take the risk, but they do deserve to have the opportunity to make an informed risk. And part of that is, I think, figuring out how to possibly make that $3,000 in savings last as long as possible.

And to the poster who suggested she buy a car right away: that is about the fastest way to burn through that money. She can get by fine without a car; if she lines up a job that requires a car (or if she just prefers a car) she can buy one at that point. In the meantime, she'll be able to stretch that money a lot farther if she can get by without one for even just a few months. Why take on new debt (or use up limited savings) when there's no pressing need?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:44 PM

73 posts, read 205,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilczy View Post
OP... in 2000 i packed up my car and and moved from boston to LA with 3k in my glove compartment. it took me about 3 months to land a job in graphic design. it was the best thing ive ever done in my life and i love LA with all my heart. unfortunately my wife and i made a decision to move to denver for a job op. were now selling our house and also moving back to LA (santa monica) this year. what your doing is risky as you dont have alot of money but you absolutely can follow your heart and do anything you want to. you can make it work. it might be hard at times but step back, think and make your own decision. too many people on here are extremely negative. stay positive and follow your heart. best of luck!

also, for the person commenting on CA's recovery and need for entrepreneurs, i couldnt agree more. alas, im quitting my job here and starting my own design studio in santa monica.
Thank you Wilczy - I needed that.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
There's nothing wrong with someone who has no dependents to take the risk, but they do deserve to have the opportunity to make an informed risk. And part of that is, I think, figuring out how to possibly make that $3,000 in savings last as long as possible.

And to the poster who suggested she buy a car right away: that is about the fastest way to burn through that money. She can get by fine without a car; if she lines up a job that requires a car (or if she just prefers a car) she can buy one at that point. In the meantime, she'll be able to stretch that money a lot farther if she can get by without one for even just a few months. Why take on new debt (or use up limited savings) when there's no pressing need?
Thank you Uptown_Urbanist. I agree with you. That's exactly what I was thinking about the car; I can not use that money for anything but cheap rent, enough food to get by, and bus fares. More money saved equals more time, and I need that time to figure out how I'm gonna make this work.
Let's just say I'll be doing a lot of praying.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Save more, or move somewhere cheaper. LA is expensive as hell

Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
Might have missed something but why not get a job lined up then move?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM

40 posts, read 157,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
Listen, you guys don't understand - where I'm coming from is worse wOrse woRse WORSE! I just heard on the news about a week ago that where I'm from the unemployment rate has reached 25% (and 40% only working part time), and I believe it.

I appreciate everything that all of you have said, but let's look at this from the angle of "yea, it's nuts but she's tenacious and she's going . . ." So I'd love it if your comments reflected that. Like, tell me your tips and give me advice assuming that I aM going to do this.
If you want to come to LA then just do it! I know a girl that just moved out there and she makes money being an extra in tv/movies/commercials. She had no job set up just the tenacity to make it. Since you only have $3000 saved start sending out resumes (that would be the smart thing to do). That will help you get a jump on things. Also try to save a little more, you do not want to cut yourself short. I will be moving to Santa Barbara this summer to pursue my dream of becoming a photographer. Never give up your dreams, sometimes you just have to work harder to achieve them.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
wilczy, I think it's fine for the OP to make the move if she has some savings, but as for the reason people are being negative: the job situation is a night and day difference now than it was even a few years ago. A lot of us moved to LA at some point in the past and found jobs quickly. For many people that's no longer the case. Anyone who came to LA and found a job before 2008 was in a completely different situation than are the people who show up today. There's nothing wrong with someone who has no dependents to take the risk, but they do deserve to have the opportunity to make an informed risk. And part of that is, I think, figuring out how to possibly make that $3,000 in savings last as long as possible.

plus what could she buy with her small savings. She would use almost all of it on a nothing car, plus she would need insurance and still wouldn't have a job. Of course she couldn't get credit to buy anything worth driving with no money, no job, no savings..

As much as I can't imagine living and trying to find a job in Los Angeles without a car, I don't think now would be the time to consider buying one. You are right..

Nita

Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Might have missed something but why not get a job lined up then move?
Huh. and how do you think I should go about doing that?
I had thought of that before, but I thought that I'd just be waiting here forever if I did it that way. I think I would need to be there first. What do you think? And/or, how do others feel about this?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagirl08 View Post
If you want to come to LA then just do it! I know a girl that just moved out there and she makes money being an extra in tv/movies/commercials. She had no job set up just the tenacity to make it. Since you only have $3000 saved start sending out resumes (that would be the smart thing to do). That will help you get a jump on things. Also try to save a little more, you do not want to cut yourself short. I will be moving to Santa Barbara this summer to pursue my dream of becoming a photographer. Never give up your dreams, sometimes you just have to work harder to achieve them.
Great idea! Thank you so much. The first time I visited LA, I had planned to one day work as an extra. But recently the thought completely escaped my mind! See, you guys are helping me to consider all the possibilities. And pursue that dream of becoming a photographer! That sounds great.

Now, where do all of you recommend I start looking for jobs as an extra? EVERYONE TELL ME, TELL ME. lol
I'm sorry, I feel like you guys are babying me, but you all seem so knowledgeable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles