Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
Huh. and how do you think I should go about doing that?
I had thought of that before, but I thought that I'd just be waiting here forever if I did it that way. I think I would need to be there first. What do you think? And/or, how do others feel about this?
I'm graduating and May and have a job offer from the federal government in LA working as a statistical programmer. Many employers will interview over the phone. Probably wouldn't be a good strategy for lower-end jobs though. Check careerbuilder.com, usajobs.gov, craigslist, etc.

If you can do some freelance writing to stay afloat in case your plans don't pan out, and make enough for very cheap rent + food doing that, then I'd say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:53 PM

73 posts, read 205,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
I'm graduating and May and have a job offer from the federal government in LA working as a statistical programmer. Many employers will interview over the phone. Probably wouldn't be a good strategy for lower-end jobs though. Check careerbuilder.com, usajobs.gov, craigslist, etc.

If you can do some freelance writing to stay afloat in case your plans don't pan out, and make enough for very cheap rent + food doing that, then I'd say go for it.
Wow, good for you. Is one of those sites where you found that job?

Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM

40 posts, read 157,730 times
Ennea4, my friend did some modeling where she came from. Once she got to LA she signed up at a talent agency and works pretty steady as an extra. You have to check them out before hand because some of them are scam artists. As far as job sites go, Careerbuilder is pretty good as well as Monster. You also have to be careful of scams on the job sites as well. As long as you have a current resume, it is pretty easy to apply.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagirl08 View Post
Ennea4, my friend did some modeling where she came from. Once she got to LA she signed up at a talent agency and works pretty steady as an extra. You have to check them out before hand because some of them are scam artists. As far as job sites go, Careerbuilder is pretty good as well as Monster. You also have to be careful of scams on the job sites as well. As long as you have a current resume, it is pretty easy to apply.
Is this recently?
What do I need on my resume in order to work as an extra?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Did they happen to tell you in school the average earnings a book will bring you? Last I read that you could make $5,000 to $20,000 from a book. As you said you want to take 3 years to write it. If you can sell the book chances are as a new author you should be able to get $5,000 for your trouble. My dad has written quite a bit and sells what he writes. I can go to the bookstore today and see his books for sale. Guess what? Writing just doesn't pay much. From time to time a break out book will make the lucky writer very wealthy. That doesn't happen often though.
You're . . . obviously not a writer. Here's a little secret - WE DON'T DO IT FOR THE MONEY.
lol, that's why I just want to work on it for me, on the side. I only brought it up because I was discussing reasons why I don't want a time-consuming job. I.E. I'll never be able to write my novel if I am constantly working!

Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,379 times
Quote:
Is this recently?
What do I need on my resume in order to work as an extra?
Hi
Don't expect too much but extra work will get you networked and (spit spit spit ) craigs list will get you some non-union work.
LA can be brutal and it can be kind.
My advice for what its worth and this is probably not much ,is to be open to people ( but not stupid open) I'm sure you know what I mean.
Tell us what you want … to be a star or to be in the business ?
Everyone in Entertainment has been where you are now and everyone has sat and listened to some old Bas....rd who has preached to them about what to do and what not to do.
The only way is your way!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
You're . . . obviously not a writer. Here's a little secret - WE DON'T DO IT FOR THE MONEY.
lol, that's why I just want to work on it for me, on the side. I only brought it up because I was discussing reasons why I don't want a time-consuming job. I.E. I'll never be able to write my novel if I am constantly working!
Your right i am no writer. I do have a father that is one and mentioned to you that the income is not a lot, because of your desire to come out here and write. Just want to fill you in on the fact that very few make it in the business. Some of us non writers also have aspirations of writing though and are working on books as we speak. Others of us non writers are also making a little extra writing for publications on line now, even though we are not writers and don't have a clasical writing education like you do. Others like a good friend write for a newspaper, and a couple magazines and still make very little.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:30 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
Listen, you guys don't understand - where I'm coming from is worse wOrse woRse WORSE! I just heard on the news about a week ago that where I'm from the unemployment rate has reached 25% (and 40% only working part time), and I believe it.

I appreciate everything that all of you have said, but let's look at this from the angle of "yea, it's nuts but she's tenacious and she's going . . ." So I'd love it if your comments reflected that. Like, tell me your tips and give me advice assuming that I aM going to do this.
Well, you're here now. Not working out too well, is it?

You were warned.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:27 PM

304 posts, read 931,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post

--------------------------
If you have a programmer job lined up, by all means come on down! You are lucky that you have marketable skills. I think Yahoo was hiring last I heard.

If you do not have a job, and only have $3000, please be very careful.
Do not count on the movie industry to keep you afloat. There is way too much talent in this world than "Hollywood" can pay for.

Housing is expensive here, although it is as cheap as we've seen it in ages.
You would be lucky to get a small apt for $1000 a month. Sometimes Craigslist has rentals, many times I have heard of horrid places and conditions for for rent for good money.

There are great places to grocery shop for less, but gas is high and you will want to live and work near each other if possible.

Be strong. Take the job and come on down. This is a great place to live but it is the big city.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 AM

Thanks Stuffavail, and Marilyn - I'm not done yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles