Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:36 AM

73 posts, read 204,284 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm making a move down to west LA in about a month, and I'll only have $3,000 at my disposal. Also, I won't have a car (oh yea - don't have a job either).
What walkable (and safe) areas could I get away with staying at for a few months [so that I can buy myself time to find a job]??
I'm 22/F.
Also, what districts/areas would I be most likely to find work at with a BA?
I need to be near a walkable area that would also be easier than other LA areas to find a job at. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Hopefully you find a job before you have to do other things for money.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:52 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Hopefully you find a job before you have to do other things for money.
Which, coincidentally, would involve walking.

OP, what's your B.A. for?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:09 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
Lots of people with BAs, MAs, and PhDs, plus years of experience, are also looking for jobs. You'll be in good company.

Maybe try to find a temporary sublet. As to area, that's really too broad to answer. Usually the advice is to find the job first, then pick the place to live. There are people with degrees working all over the metro area. There are people with BAs looking for work all over the metro area. In a different economy there would be employers hiring people with BAs all over the metro area.

Somewhere like downtown would be a good central location to live in temporarily; a lot of companies are based there, of course, but you'd also be at the center of a public transportation hub radiating out in all directions. If and when you find a permanent job you could then decide where you want to live in the long-term.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
$3000 will last you maybe a month or 6 weeks. It isn't going to be easy to find a job without transportation and so little money. You can survive without the car if you know your way around the city, it sounds like you do not.

Yes, the idea of temp jobs would be the best, even then, you are up against hundreds of others looking.

Try finding a room in someones home for starters. Even that isn't going to make the money last too long, but it is better than trying to find an apartment, even a studio.

May I ask, why do you want to move period in this economy?

Nita

Old 02-09-2010, 10:07 AM

I think $3,000 will last you far longer than one month or six weeks, but that all depends on what's coming out of it. If you're planning on trying to get a regular year lease then that will probably eat up the whole amount right there, with deposit, first month's rent, and depending on the landlord, very likely last month's rent if you don't have a job lined up. I agree that renting a room, ideally a furnished room that rents by the month, is the way to go. Your money will last a lot longer that way.

I was also going to add that I see you're moving to west LA (sorry, missed the "west" part earlier; that's too bad from the public transportation standpoint, as you'll be stuck with buses and bad traffic, and won't have as central access to some jobs. On the plus side, maybe you can find a cheap room rental somewhere like Westwood; with so many students coming and going (even during the academic year) you can probably find something relatively short-term and affordable around there, then make the switch to a more permanent place once you have a job and a final budget.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
i would say look in the palms neighborhood very closely and get to know the big blue bus system immediately. otherwise, i would just save up for another year and get some work experience while doing so.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
The average job hunting time is about 6 months out here, for many it is even longer. What is your degree in?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think $3,000 will last you far longer than one month or six weeks, but that all depends on what's coming out of it. If you're planning on trying to get a regular year lease then that will probably eat up the whole amount right there, with deposit, first month's rent, and depending on the landlord, very likely last month's rent if you don't have a job lined up. I agree that renting a room, ideally a furnished room that rents by the month, is the way to go. Your money will last a lot longer that way.

I was also going to add that I see you're moving to west LA (sorry, missed the "west" part earlier; that's too bad from the public transportation standpoint, as you'll be stuck with buses and bad traffic, and won't have as central access to some jobs. On the plus side, maybe you can find a cheap room rental somewhere like Westwood; with so many students coming and going (even during the academic year) you can probably find something relatively short-term and affordable around there, then make the switch to a more permanent place once you have a job and a final budget.
I really don't think it will last long. Maybe a couple of months at the longest, remember the Op has to pay rent, food, transportation to job hunt, plus inter-net service, phone, etc. Just the first and last months rent will take a good portion of the money: even renting a room in someones home they are going to want something up front. I just think, moving to anywhere especially So Ca without a job and $3000 plus no car is going to be a tough awakening for the OP. I realize you see things differently because, If I remember correctly you do not drive or do not have a car. This doesn't work for everyone.

Nita

Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM

I don't drive or have a car, but neither does the OP. She doesn't have to factor in the cost of a car, either, just transportation to/from work.

I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that $3,000 will last a long time (and I noted, too, that if paying a deposit it will be gone quickly), but of course many people live in LA on less than $3,000/month. The problem will not not be the living cheaply for a few months while the savings last, but rather finding a job to replenish that money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles