Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times

Advertisements

Rooms cost money, too, just less money than an apartment.

There is no one job industry that is hiring. Maybe there's some highly specialized field out there that has a high demand, but in general any job that doesn't require anything above and beyond the normal (as well as many that do have highly specialized requirements) are going to be absolutely flooded with applicants. There are NO easy-to-get jobs right now! Sure, you will make friends and contacts, but at least know that all the networks in the world are still no guarantee of finding a job in just a couple of months. Think about the many, many unemployed people living in LA right now; they have plenty of local friends and professional contacts of their own.

There are writing jobs that aren't 24/7. Believe me. But also believe me when I say that those aren't easy to find in LA right now, either. It's not a job market where one can afford to be picky, at least not if you have only a matter of months in which to find one and only $3,000 in savings.

As to bus: check out metro's trip planner.

It's one thing to come and try your luck for a few months, especially given that you're young, don't have dependents, and have some savings to tide you over while you look for work. But I'm also getting the impression that you are vastly underestimating the realities of the tough job market. You may be lucky, but don't assume anything. When people say the job situation is rough they aren't exaggerating. If you make the move and line up a job within the first one (or two, or three) months then you will be one of the lucky ones. Don't make the move and use up your money working on the assumption that you'll find a decent job within a couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
Jobs ~ read my reply to the other forum member.
6 months . . . well what areas have the most job opportunities currently? I'm not going to be job-picky; I just need money coming in.
The average job search for any job out here is 6 months.

Your degree is in creative writing and Journalism? Most print jobs are disappearing. You could stay home and get a job writing on line and never have to enter the state. Newspapers are hurting and many are closing down. I get my news online and only pick up a paper every once in a while. Magazines are also transfering to an online format. what that means is that you don't have to be hear to write. You can pick up jobs from writing job shops on line. I did read of a company in Santa Monica that has writers take on projects. They pay you for each article you write. Other companies exist that do the same.

As far as other jobs. Hear are some examples of how things are going; Lets see a friend had over 600 applications for 2 trash truck driver positions a couple months ago. Universal Studios had over 4000 people show up to apply for 35 positions late last year. Even in fast food many kids can't get a job because adults are taking them. Auto dealers are closing and those people are out of work. Contractors are out of work. You could get a job in the healthcare environment, but even we are slow to hire and fill positions.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 AM

436 posts, read 908,157 times
only $3000 just stay where you are at, you will burn through that money so fast here and with no jobs here you will surly be homeless.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
I live off of $800 a month in Vegas, and that includes a car, car insurance, room (found on Craigslist) with digital Cable, internet, gated, covered parking and all other living expenses (food, gas, vitamins, etc). Considering Vegas is much cheaper, you might look into moving here instead. You could easily make it 4 months on the $3,000 you have saved up here.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 AM

136 posts, read 548,900 times
Do you have a job where you are now? Why do you want to move right now?
I wouldn't recommend moving to LA right now. Jobs are scarce and the amount of money you're bringing isn't going to last long enough.
If you have to pay a deposit on a place to rent, you'll be out of money very quickly. I would rethink and plan the move after you acquire employment.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 AM

136 posts, read 548,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
What type of jobs are the easiest to get out there?
At this point in time...none. Have you seen the unemployment rates? This is not the time to move to a new state, much less an expensive area, with no job!
Unless you want to be living on the street you need to stay where you are.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Many people are moving out of LA because there are n jobs here.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Many people are moving out of LA because there are n jobs here.
There are no jobs in LA. I highly doubt a large Metropolis of 9 MILLION people have NO jobs. The problem with LA is the high living expenses, not acquiring a job.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
We moved because it was better to move for the sure thing (job transfer) then to risk staying and remaining unemployed.

I don't know if the OP thinks this, but in general a lot of threads lately seem to be from people who assume that they will be the exception, that they will have an easier time finding a job because they're more qualified, a harder worker, or more motivated than everyone else. In this economy none of that really matters. For every qualified and motivated person wanting what sounds like an entry-level office job there will be potentially thousands of others out there who look just as good on paper. (not to mention that when it comes to the entry level jobs there are now plenty of people who were working much higher positions who will also be competing for those jobs; most unemployed people can't afford to be picky these days) Some will get lucky, some won't. That's why the job search can take so many months.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Well if you are well connected you might get something depending on skill level, my wife is a CPA and jobs are hard to find, the good times are defiantly gone in California. I .would look elsewhere for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles