Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,946,069 times

Advertisements

I have been driving for 10 years but I admit I'm not a great driver; I usually drive inside streets and I can handle the 405 freeway in OC but that's because it's mainly straight.

When I drive to LA I get SO scared when the freeways curves, I have to slow down to 40MPH on the curves on the 605n or the transition to the 5N from the 605n (you know what I'm talking about? it spreads into two lanes to separate from the 605N and it curves like crazy). Also the 101N curves really bad especially at certain areas where it goes under the bridge. I think if you drive the 101 a lot you will know what I'm talking about, it curves while going under some type of bridge or overpass and it is scary.

I drive REALLY slow down at the curves, I feel like if I go faster than 40mph I will go into the wall and crash or lose control and I'm sweating and sitting up straight the whole time without being able to lean back in my chair because I am so tense.

I feel like the cars behind me want to RUN ME OFF THE ROAD because I'm going soooo slow at the curve but I feel like if I go faster I am going to get in an accident. I don't feel comfortable going any faster at the curve. I feel like everyone behind me is ANGRY at me for going so slow but I am only going so slow because that's all I can handle, I can't maneuver the car around a curve any faster!

Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,318,011 times
If you can't do the speed limit, don't drive the freeway. The same goes for the transition roads with the yellow warning speed limit signs. I got stuck behind someone doing maybe 60 in the fast lane of the 605 today.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If you can't do the speed limit, don't drive the freeway. The same goes for the transition roads with the yellow warning speed limit signs. I got stuck behind someone doing maybe 60 in the fast lane of the 605 today.
I always go 65 exactly but I stay in the slow lane in the far right... Sometimes I am forced to go in the left lane tho.. you know that part where it goes into the 101n from the 5n? Only the two left lanes go into the 101n so you have to go in those lanes if you want to go into the 101N

What are the transition roads with yellow speed limit signs? Does that mean you're supposed to go slower?

I can do the speed limit EXACTLY but just not when it curves or I have to merge into another freeway and the transition curves. It just scares me

I usually go 65 exactly. I actually enjoy being stuck in traffic cause that means I can drive slow which I prefer to an open freeway where everyone is going 80mph. That scares me.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I always go 65 exactly but I stay in the slow lane in the far right... Sometimes I am forced to go in the left lane tho.. you know that part where it goes into the 101n from the 5n? Only the two left lanes go into the 101n so you have to go in those lanes if you want to go into the 101N

What are the transition roads with yellow speed limit signs? Does that mean you're supposed to go slower?

I can do the speed limit EXACTLY but just not when it curves or I have to merge into another freeway and the transition curves. It just scares me

I usually go 65 exactly. I actually enjoy being stuck in traffic cause that means I can drive slow which I prefer to an open freeway where everyone is going 80mph. That scares me.
The speed limit on the freeway is 65. They'll never engineer the freeway itself so you can't safely do the speed limit. But on a transition where the road curves more tightly, you'll see yellow signs with a number on them (like 40 or 50) and usually some arrow indicating the direction of the curve. Unless you're driving a big rig, its safe to go faster than the yellow sign but it at least gives you an idea how tight the turn is. If you see one with a 15 or 25 on it, you know its a pretty tight turn and you'd better slow the heck down.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The speed limit on the freeway is 65. They'll never engineer the freeway itself so you can't safely do the speed limit. But on a transition where the road curves more tightly, you'll see yellow signs with a number on them (like 40 or 50) and usually some arrow indicating the direction of the curve. Unless you're driving a big rig, its safe to go faster than the yellow sign but it at least gives you an idea how tight the turn is. If you see one with a 15 or 25 on it, you know its a pretty tight turn and you'd better slow the heck down.
I see what you mean... I am not necessarily talking about the transition curves where it's super curvy... but you mentioned driving on the 605... Even the 605 itself curves a lot... Not tight curves where you have to go 25mph but broad curves... Just that freeway in general, from the 405 to the 605 just curves, it's not totally straight. I panick a bit around those curves too... I'm sure you noticed the 605 to LA curves more than the 405 down to irvine... that one is mainly straight so it's easier to drive. There is a slight curve to where it merges into the 73 right before Bristol but its a soft curve so its manageable. The 605 just curves everywhere.

The 101n is the worst because it curves more than the 605 and not only that but its narrower and there's a section where it goes under a bridge...

I'm talking about even the transition into the 5N from the 605N... do you know what transition I'm talking about? Even that one scares me already.

I find it a HUGE adjustment to drive in LA after driving in OC. It's very hard for me to adjust to the narrow freeways and no u-turns. I don't know how tourists from other countries go to LA and just rent a car and drive... How do they know how to drive when they don't know how the road will curve? I am only familiar driving in places I already know because I know what to expect but if I have to drive somewhere where I don't know how the road will curve ahead of time it gets really stressful.

I admit I'm not the best driver to begin with, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Last edited by jackie100; 01-07-2010 at 11:23 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 AM

I haven't noticed the 605 being particularly curvy. Even the 405N to 605N transition is such a gentle sweeping curve that they don't bother to post warning signs, or at least I didn't see any when I just looked on Google street view. 605N to 5N is posted at 30MPH with a "watch for stopped vehicles" sign. The actual curve doesn't require lower speed and caution as much as the possibility of a line of stopped cars suddenly appearing because you can't see that far ahead due to tunnel where the transition ramp goes under the 605.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I haven't noticed the 605 being particularly curvy. Even the 405N to 605N transition is such a gentle sweeping curve that they don't bother to post warning signs, or at least I didn't see any when I just looked on Google street view. 605N to 5N is posted at 30MPH with a "watch for stopped vehicles" sign. The actual curve doesn't require lower speed and caution as much as the possibility of a line of stopped cars suddenly appearing because you can't see that far ahead due to tunnel where the transition ramp goes under the 605.
Well, to me the 605 to 5 is curvy because I'm a scaredy-cat driver...

I noticed the 405 and 605 heading into Long Beach are both curvy. Not extremely curvy but somewhat... For you it may not be drastic and a "gentle sweeping curve" but I prefer it completely straight so I still have to concentrate really hard when driving that area.

I've never been a skilled driver to begin with so that's probably the issue. I have never felt comfortable going 70 mph or parallel parking etc. I just have driving issues. I am most comfortable driving inside streets.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:30 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,764,481 times
I lean into them.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 AM

I wonder if LA's freeways are the among the most curviest and narrowest ones in the nation? Are there other states/cities in the U.S where it's even worse?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 AM

Anywhere the freeways were build after the city, you'll find more "creative" routing and ramps. Places like OC where the cities came after the freeways tend to have straighter freeways and more orderly transitions. Its an urban vs. suburban difference regardless of what city you're in. Not counting transition roads, the only freeway in LA I consider really curvy and narrow is the 110 between LA and Pasadena.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 01-08-2010 at 12:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles