Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 23,723 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I may be jumping the gun here or worrying too much however I have a few questions about Southern California. I am interested in working for a company in the Inland Empire. I have had one interview that went well and will hopefully have a second, third and then a job offer. However I have numerous questions about SoCal that I do not want to ask a potential employer. They are as follows:

1.) Is the future political and social stability of SoCal in jeporady with the on going and seemingly worsening (atleast from a mid-western persepective) illegal immigration problem? How bad will it get?

2.) From a preliminary search I have noticed that many of the condos in the IE tend to be in gated communities even though they are not too expensive (180-350K). Why is this so?

3.) What is the business climate like are businesses coming or going?

4.) How bad are gangs in the IE and crime in general? If I got the job I would be in Redlands however it looks like Rancho Cucamonga is a nice place to live.

5.) What is there to do as far as going out to trendy bars and clubs? Any place like Chicago neighborhoods Lincoln Park/WickerPark there? Any suburbs with cool places to go in the IE like Naperville or Schaumburg?

6.) What is it like for young professionals in general there? I am a 20something male.

7.) What are recreational opportunites like? I figure facilities camping/hiking/skiing are available but what about adult sports leagues for soccer or baseball?

That is all I thank you for any input you can give me. I know that I can look alot of this information up but I wanted to get a local perspective on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 72,004 times
Rancho Cucamonga seems like a good place for you. They have the sports leagues and recreation facilities you're looking for. Gang wise in RC is not bad. Of course there are some pockets of bad areas but definitely not a problem, and even those places have been getting better. Basiclly the city is moving more and more in the direction of wealthy suburbia. There are plenty of new condos being built all over. Most are really nice. They are gated primarily for reputation purposes. If you live in a gated community, then you must be well off . But it is always an added sense of security for people. That price range for a condo is expensive - normal and all that's available, but more expensive than 4 yrs ago. So the gating issue compared to price is irrelevant. As for bars and clubs, you'd be mostly going in the direction of LA and Hollywood. RC actually would put you in the middle of work and night life. Sure there's things to do in Rancho, and we're always getting more, but nothing like LA and if you're comparing to Chicago, then LA would be the equivalent. Young proffessionals seem to have a lot of options if you are motivated and get out there - you're not going to meet people or have business opportunities unless you work at - its just too busy a place for that. Now on to economics -- the area - all of So Cal - is getting far too expensive. There is a widening gap between classes. Tons of upper class and tons of lower class. Rancho Cucamonga in particular though is mostly middle and upper, so this is why it seems to be so nice. Future of the region - I have no clue, I want out of the state anyway so I don't pay attention. I know some companies are leaving the state in generel because of workers comp laws, taxes, etc. But there seems to be incoming companies too. So you'd have to find some reports on that issue. There is constant housing growth because people just keep coming. Hopefully some of that helped you out. If you want specific info on RC, let me know - I've lived there all my life and only recently moved about 45 minutes away and still visit family frequently. Good luck with the job.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Forgive my terseness this morning, I only want to get the ball rolling with answers for you from others here as well.
1. Yes. All laws here are eventually changed to give endless loopholes to illegals. Example: Special Order 40 to the L.A.P.D. which prevents deportation of felons; motor vehicle code which precludes unlicensed drivers from automatic culpability in an accident, unlike the other 49 states. The second question: no one can accurately predict the future, so I'm relying upon fanciful prognostication. Amateur Nostradamuses predict here as the flashpoint for another civil war, based upon ferocious opposition to assimilating American laws and resentment of American citizens.
2.Gangs
3. Going. All movement away due to oddly provincial business-unfriendly local taxation.
4. Stay put and you'll be okay there. Don't traverse surroundings.
5. Pick up an "L.A. Weekly" for club scene schedules. (also online.)
6. You are the hardiest and best-suited to live here, in a Darwinian sense.
7. No, the latter actually. There are nothing BUT soccer leagues prevailing.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 AM

31 posts, read 157,804 times
Hello, As a resident of the Inland Empire, I'll try to answer most of your questions to the best of my ability.
1.) The illegal immigration"problem" as you put it, and the future social and politically stability of this area? Is anyone really able to foretell that in any region? Putting personal opinions aside, your guess is as good as any other.
The Inland empire is less than two hours from the Mexican border so of course you will find a higher concentration of relocated people the closer you get to any border of a state that neighbors another country. Illegal immigration is a problem across the US and isn't confined to any one social group or ethinicity. Guess that's up to whose running our government. That's as political as I'll get...lol.
2.) Gated communities and hoa's are now the trend all over. To me, 180 to 350k for a condo is very expensive especially when you could get a home for that price. I guess it seems high to me because these same properties have quadrupled just in the last 3 years.
3.) Businesses are moving in to the area as the area is growing with an influx of people moving here because homes are more affordable
4.) Redlands is a nice place to live as well as Rancho Cucamonga although I prefer Redlands. Each area borders cities that have higher crime ratios so you just need to do research on each one.San Bernardino is really crime ridden (which is next to Redlands), but so are the areas closer to LA.
5&6) Trendy bars and places to go., 20 something professionals.....Why this is California! Everything you are looking for is located within 1 and 1/2 hours of the Inland Empire. You won't have a problem in that department.
7.) Each community offers adult recreation such as you're descibing. There's soccer,baseball, basketball,etc. Once you're settled just check your local newspapers,or recreation centers.

Good luck on your job offer I'm sure you will like the area if it goes through!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 23,723 times
Thank you all for your input. It basically does not sound like to bad of a place to live. I love mountains, beaches and outdoor activities and visited Los Angeles a few years ago but I was basically in Downtown, East LA, Mid-Wilshire, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Westwood and Beverly Hills. I really liked what I saw in those places. Although the traffic was bad, and there is alot of poverty in some areas I am from Chicago so those things don't scare me. BTW I visited in December and the weather was amazing. I was in the 60's and Sunny and people where saying that it was cooler than normal. I don't dislike Chicago infact it is quite a nice place has far as culture, sports and entertainment are concerned however (Illinois sorely lacks in the scenic beauty department) for the type of work I do (GIS mapping) there are not alot of jobs available infact since 2001 we have had negative job growth in Illinois in all areas. I figured if I can stay in Chicago I will but California, Seattle, Colorado, Idaho or DC/Northern Virginia might soon become home for me since I am searching for a better job. In reality alot of things that might not be nice about your region prolly also affect me region of the country too.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:53 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
1.) Is the future political and social stability of SoCal in jeporady with the on going and seemingly worsening (atleast from a mid-western persepective) illegal immigration problem? How bad will it get?

-- This ain't the midwest. If you don't like Mexicans, you won't like it here. Anyway, the answer is no. It isn't even bad now, LA has had ****ty schools and decaying infrastructure since the 70's.

2.) From a preliminary search I have noticed that many of the condos in the IE tend to be in gated communities even though they are not too expensive (180-350K). Why is this so?

-- Because most people moving to CA are midwesterners who are afraid of Mexicans and feel secure behind a gate

3.) What is the business climate like are businesses coming or going?

-- Business climate is the strongest west of the mississippi, as always. IE is booming. LA is a powerhouse economy.

4.) How bad are gangs in the IE and crime in general? If I got the job I would be in Redlands however it looks like Rancho Cucamonga is a nice place to live.

-- RC and Redlands are fine. IE in general has high crime, especially meth crime and gangs too. Tweakers and Cholos are the biggest problem

5.) What is there to do as far as going out to trendy bars and clubs? Any place like Chicago neighborhoods Lincoln Park/WickerPark there? Any suburbs with cool places to go in the IE like Naperville or Schaumburg?

-- go to LA, OC or San Diego if you want trendy. IE is the opposite of trendy

6.) What is it like for young professionals in general there? I am a 20something male.

-- go to LA, OC or San Diego if you want young professionals. IE is more white trash style

7.) What are recreational opportunites like? I figure facilities camping/hiking/skiing are available but what about adult sports leagues for soccer or baseball?

-- all are available, huge outdoor options in CA.

Make no mistake, the IE is the armpit of SoCal. It is getting a lot nicer, but it has a long way to go. The "nice bits" sprung out of the brush 5 years ago and are walled off from the shabbiness that surrounds it. The middle class abandoned LA and this is what they got. Personally I think they might have reconsidered sticking with LA ;-) About the only reason all those people are there is because you can get a big cheap house. If it wasn't for that, it would be in the same exact place it was 8 years ago.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,638 times
If you can get a good paying job in IE, do it. As long as you don't have to commute into LA/OC. RC & Red are the better parts out there. My roommate (when we were in Mid-Wilshire) has a job there and it worked out very well. It was fun in LA ( partying 6 nites a week) but for living and working, IE would be the place. Its most affordable and not too far from LA should you want to come out. If LA is too far, you can try Newport or Long Beach areas. You will also find young families who care about where they live and take care of their neighborhood (RC & Red) but there are areas to avoid even if they are relatively new.
As far as political climate, outside of LA, it does get more conservative but you are still in Cali, a liberal state. If you're worried about illegals, be glad you don't have to work/live in metro LA. IE is spread out so if you don't want to see them, its easy to avoid them. Here in metro LA, where ever you go, you have a crowd: those who want work @ Home Depot & shopping centers, those selling drugs & IDs @ parks, large families walking home from schools or a few who park their cars in front of your house and replace brakes, or more recently, a clutch (wanna see?, they left the old part, still there). Being a new area, IE would have less work for illegals although there are some out there due to lower living costs. Then again, when you have 4 families in a house and a trailer in the back (my neighbor), how much can it be when the costs are spread out.

My former roommie works @ Chino prison & there is a gang problem in the IE but then again, its Socal, there are gangs everywhere. RC is actually better (safer) in terms of gangs in IE.

There should be a large amount of single 20s in IE & OC but not in the volumes as metro LA. Too spread out and lots of young families.
Being a suburb, there are lots of outdoor activites. Lots of people with boats & ATVs out in IE. Close to deserts & rivers & lakes. Closer to LV, too. I'm not sure on rec leagues but lots of married young men= activites needed to occupy time away from, he! he!, wifey.

If you're coming to Cali, IE would be a better place. Just find the better parts such as RC and you'll be ok. You'll be an hour (maybe 1:15) away from LA but in a quiet area with a relatively new neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:08 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,917 times
I would live in Rancho Cucamonga rather than Redlands. As long as you don't have to leave your area on a daily basis (as in commute to LA or the OC) you should be fine. Rancho is a really nice city. Bars and Clubs are everywhere... try LA for the really good ones.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 AM

16 posts, read 78,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
I would live in Rancho Cucamonga rather than Redlands. As long as you don't have to leave your area on a daily basis (as in commute to LA or the OC) you should be fine. Rancho is a really nice city. Bars and Clubs are everywhere... try LA for the really good ones.
Where does a person check for bank foreclosures on those really cheep houses?

Old 11-17-2007, 09:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
just a question - how many people predicted 30 years ago what LA was like today? The only people who got it somewhat right were the anti-Proposition 13 people who warned of proliferations of gangs and homeless and a decline in the quality of education, public services, etc. if Prop 13 was passed - sadly not enough people listened to them.

Hopefully Howard Jarvis is being tortured in Hell right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles