Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I'd consider North Hollywood (area called "NoHo" is next to metro/subway stop) and not too far from Northridge. Other areas I'd consider include Sherman Oaks (more desirable than NoHo) but not next to the subway yet still close to some major bus lines including the Orange Line which connects to the subway in NoHo. Sherman Oaks is a little closer to Northridge than North Hollywood.

I was going to suggest these 2 as well.

There is almost 2 North Hollywoods. There is the trendy slightly more urban area then the more suburban with tons of apartments and houses and a little bit less safe than the other area. Look around Universal City and look around Weddington Park.

Sherman Oaks/Encino is a little more trendy as well. Not sure what appeals to you though coming from Canada. Downtown type areas or more of the trendy L.A. areas like these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM

17 posts, read 37,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Speaking of North Hills I live by Nordhoff & Sepulveda - just purchased a townhome and moved in 1 month ago - and it has been great so far. The "bad" part I have seen is going down Van Nuys blvd between Sepulveda & Parthenia especially. And also the smaller streets such as Columbus near Chase. etc. Most other areas are pretty good. Nordhoff is good.

The area around CSUN is very nice with lots of shopping, etc. There is a Metrolink station.

Definitely look around North Hills/Van Nuys/Northridge as far as rent goes. That definitely can be done.

It's not as "suburbs" as it might sound. Although I know what you mean. Are you are used to living downtown or just somewhere busy and bustling with main streets..? When I think suburbs I think where I grew up in Houston, Texas with huge chunks of houses with nothing else. I don't quite see the valley as being that since most areas are mixed use commercial/residential.
Thanks for this!!! Yes, I'm used to living downtown and where I can get everywhere by either walking or transit. I can drive and have had a license for 10+ years but I don't really like driving and the thought of driving in LA scares me a little. I do think of just rows of houses as the suburbs - where you have to drive everywhere. Would I have to drive to get anywhere in the valley?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Near CSUN- Great Location! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1595316453.html - broken link)
GATED COMMUNITY - Fitness Center - MOMENTS TO CSUN - Amazing Value (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1594779124.html - broken link)
IMMACULATE 1BD APT*LOW SECURITY*RENT CONTROL (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1593744164.html - broken link)
Huge 1 bdrm luxury apt across the street from CSUN (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1589722371.html - broken link)

What are your wishes in an apartment..? Any pets..?
Small complex with a cute garden..? Large with a gym and a pool..? Carpeted..? Wood or laminate..?

Not that picky in terms of an apartment. I'd prefer hardwood floors and I like a nice kitchen and having laundry at least in the building would be great. Pets would be nice but not a deciding factor.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM

73 posts, read 205,101 times
You're just lucky you have a boyfriend who's moving there with you. And a car. I'll have neither.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 PM

This may be a stupid question but is Studio City different from Universal City?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM

I think it's approximately the same area..
Well it's definitely better than Texas where I would have to walk 15 minutes to get to a Walgreens. lol

I can walk out my front door and within 5 minutes be at a grocery store, or a bank, or a Subway, or any number of local Mexican restaurants, a Del Taco, a Pollo Campero, a dollar store, an indoor swap meet, a hair salon, a dentist, a Gamestop, a Panda Express, a Walgreens, a video rental store, clothing stores, etc. etc. etc.

Especially around CSUN it's definitely walkable.
(Speaking of the valley here) It's not necessarily designed to be walkable like some urban neighborhoods are but it's mixed commercial/residential meaning there is plenty to walk to.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM

I don't know how much these are but I see them every day when I go to my workout class in the park.
Welcome to City View Lofts
Super nice. There's also a metrolink station in that area by Universal City.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Just in case you decide on the area around CSUN -

These 2 apartments are next to eachother and are within walking distance of 2 shopping centers (and much more), a park, and a metrolink station.

Canyon Creek apartments for rent in Northridge in Los Angeles – BRE Properties
Prices - Canyon Creek floor plans, pricing and plan a space – BRE Properties

Wow now personally I love these..! Almost makes me wish I was still renting..! lol!
Luxury Apartments in San Fernando Valley at The Villagio
Prices - Villagio - Community Features

Whoops I just remembered your budget..! lol..

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiceRachel View Post
This may be a stupid question but is Studio City different from Universal City?
Whoops actually I think I was wrong and they ARE 2 different places.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
universal city is a small area that is almost completely taken up by universal studios. i don't believe there is any residential building in universal city. studio city is the neighborhood directly west of universal city. studio city is a fairly urban area, especially along ventura blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles