Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM

17 posts, read 37,606 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend has been offered a job in Northridge and we're just in the process of making the final decision to move. Our biggest concern is that we'll only have one car and so I will be more or less stuck in whatever area we decide to move to.

I know commute times in LA are disasterous but I'm wondering is there anywhere we could live that would allow me to access jobs etc. while also not creating too much commute time for my boyfriend to Northridge.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i would look at the areas near the universal city and north hollywood metro stations. that way when your boyfriend is at work, at least you'll have the ability to get around (parts of) the city without a car, namely hollywood, downtown, and koreatown. these locations aren't too far from northridge either and your boyfriend will have a reverse commute. good luck.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiceRachel View Post
boyfriend job in Northridge
one car

we could live that would allow me to access jobs
What types of jobs?
What is your desired living arrangement (house, condo, etc)?
Rent or buy? Budget?
Any kids? Ages?
Outlook on getting a second car?

If any job, waitress, stock clerk, etc, stick around Northridge for his benefit.
Get familiar with the Metro bus routes and schedules.
Consider getting a car.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:48 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandiceRachel View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend has been offered a job in Northridge and we're just in the process of making the final decision to move. Our biggest concern is that we'll only have one car and so I will be more or less stuck in whatever area we decide to move to.

I know commute times in LA are disasterous but I'm wondering is there anywhere we could live that would allow me to access jobs etc. while also not creating too much commute time for my boyfriend to Northridge.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks very much!
Northridge is in the San Fernando Valley section of Los Angeles, which contains over a million people apart from the rest of the city and has everything you could want for daily living. Definitely look there. You WANT to stay in the Valley if at all possible. It has the somewhat deserved reputation for being very warm to hot in the summer compared to everywhere else in LA but if it was my decision I would rather have the stress of trying to cool myself off from excess heat perhaps 10% of the year rather than have a stressful commute for 100% of it.

I don't know that much of the Valley from personal experience, but with the little I've seen and heard, here goes:

North and west parts of the Valley are GENERALLY better than central and east. Northridge is toward the north end, along with Granada Hills, Knollwood, Chatsworth (this is more northwest). I have seen decent parts of "North Hills" zip code 91343, but crossing over (or under) Sepulveda Blvd. and especially the 405 puts you in a whole different world.

Woodland Hills, Encino, Tarzana and Sherman Oaks are in the south central and southwestern sections. The first two especially are pricey.

As for finding a job in the Valley (what kind, by the way?), there are hundreds of employers there.

If you find the SFV doesn't fill your bill, you could always try Santa Clarita (over the 5) or Simi Valley (over 118), which is in Ventura County but it would be a bit more tricky for you without a car.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:02 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times
I'd consider North Hollywood (area called "NoHo" is next to metro/subway stop) and not too far from Northridge. Other areas I'd consider include Sherman Oaks (more desirable than NoHo) but not next to the subway yet still close to some major bus lines including the Orange Line which connects to the subway in NoHo. Sherman Oaks is a little closer to Northridge than North Hollywood.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i would look at the areas near the universal city and north hollywood metro stations. that way when your boyfriend is at work, at least you'll have the ability to get around (parts of) the city without a car, namely hollywood, downtown, and koreatown. these locations aren't too far from northridge either and your boyfriend will have a reverse commute. good luck.

Thanks very much for your suggestion BRinSM. I've heard transit isn't very good in LA but ideally I'd like to be close to transit as getting a second car won't be in the mix for a while! Question - is North Hollywood safe? I'm from Canada and so I'm not really sure what to expect. Thanks again for your help!!!!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What types of jobs?
What is your desired living arrangement (house, condo, etc)?
Rent or buy? Budget?
Any kids? Ages?
Outlook on getting a second car?

If any job, waitress, stock clerk, etc, stick around Northridge for his benefit.
Get familiar with the Metro bus routes and schedules.
Consider getting a car.

I work in advertising sales for a magazine right now but I also have experience in editorial and also with web marketing (I head up Special Projects at my magazine). So I think I'm looking for something like this but I'm also open to new opportunities. In all likelihood I may be in a waitress job for bit just so I have some cash coming in while I'm looking for a position.

We're looking to rent with a very low budget at first as I won't be working right away - I guess about $1,000/month. No Family. My boyfriend and I are 29 and 28.

I don't think a second car would be in our future for at least a year. Thanks!!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:27 PM

Thanks very much for this! Not sure about the valley. I'm so used to be in the city (in Toronto and Vancouver) being that far out into the suburbs just doesn't really seem like what I want but at the same time I may have to make this adjustment for the time being.....Thanks!!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
Speaking of North Hills I live by Nordhoff & Sepulveda - just purchased a townhome and moved in 1 month ago - and it has been great so far. The "bad" part I have seen is going down Van Nuys blvd between Sepulveda & Parthenia especially. And also the smaller streets such as Columbus near Chase. etc. Most other areas are pretty good. Nordhoff is good.

The area around CSUN is very nice with lots of shopping, etc. There is a Metrolink station.

Definitely look around North Hills/Van Nuys/Northridge as far as rent goes. That definitely can be done.

It's not as "suburbs" as it might sound. Although I know what you mean. Are you are used to living downtown or just somewhere busy and bustling with main streets..? When I think suburbs I think where I grew up in Houston, Texas with huge chunks of houses with nothing else. I don't quite see the valley as being that since most areas are mixed use commercial/residential.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
Near CSUN- Great Location! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1595316453.html - broken link)
GATED COMMUNITY - Fitness Center - MOMENTS TO CSUN - Amazing Value (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1594779124.html - broken link)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1593744164.html (broken link)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/1589722371.html (broken link)

What are your wishes in an apartment..? Any pets..?
Small complex with a cute garden..? Large with a gym and a pool..? Carpeted..? Wood or laminate..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles