Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 PM

111 posts, read 255,193 times

Advertisements

I see lots of helpful threads on this board concerning housing, costs and locations. Anybody here live/have lived on a boat?

What's the liveaboard climate like in LA? Are the marinas friendly to full time residents? How are the slip fees and liveaboard fees? Any suggestions on good, bad, best or worst marinas, with respect to price, location, safety, parking and amenities? Any major disincentives?

I was this close >< to buying a boat on the east coast, then ended up moving away several states inland. I *may* be moving to LA sometime next year, and being near the water again has me dreaming of being lulled to sleep aboard my own private yacht. I'm wondering if it's considered a viable alternative to land dwellings in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,031,676 times
Here you go, this column was in the LA Times this past summer:

Casting off life's cares - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-22-2008, 03:09 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,040,567 times
Almost three years living on a boat in Ventura County (Oxnard) -- loved it! Space is a little small, but you get used to it. Nice, actually, to unload all of the unnecessary stuff we accumulate living in bigger spaces. During summer, open the hatches and let the sea breeze through. During winter, close it up, crank the heat, and let it rain. Most other days you'll find pleasant dock-side chats with other boaters. Your pets become ducks, pelicans, egrets, herons and cormorants. You'll get familiar with the same seals and might even give the regulars pet names.

Dock fees are around 1/3 more than non-live-aboard. You will also need an inspection by the Harbor Patrol and pay them a small fee, too.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:34 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,585,304 times
Interesting L.A. Times article. It proves the power of humans to redefine success constantly to meet their own circumstances, haha. Here's a guy who completely failed to make money or secure any sort of comfortable lifestyle by the time he was in his 50s, so he has redefined success and said it's not about that.

I will agree that time is the true commodity, not money, because of course time is what you only have so much of. That's why it's silly to trade away a day for $100, for instance, unless you have no other choice. $100 is nothing. A day is everything. So I agree with him on that account. But the whole turning people to Christianity thing, not so much.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:11 AM

488 posts, read 1,508,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Interesting L.A. Times article. It proves the power of humans to redefine success constantly to meet their own circumstances, haha. Here's a guy who completely failed to make money or secure any sort of comfortable lifestyle by the time he was in his 50s, so he has redefined success and said it's not about that.

I will agree that time is the true commodity, not money, because of course time is what you only have so much of. That's why it's silly to trade away a day for $100, for instance, unless you have no other choice. $100 is nothing. A day is everything. So I agree with him on that account. But the whole turning people to Christianity thing, not so much.
Perhaps he does not define success in terms of money. Perhaps he is comfortable with his lifestyle. Perhaps he considers himself successful. Perhaps Christianity works for him. Doesn't seem to be bothering anyone.

Maybe some who are not at peace with themselves have based their definitions of success on money or lifestyle (not you personally/don't know you).

Could success be a personal realization?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM

I think success is very personal -- I was only commenting upon how interesting it is that people can redefine success mid-way through life. If I am 50 and I've failed to accomplish what I set out to do, I'm not going to change the rules of the game mid-way through and decide, "God, you know, I always wanted to be a great filmmaker, I always wanted power, wealth, and money, but since I've totally failed and basically lost the game with the rules I set for it, well, I'm just going to change the rules because it's too inconvenient to admit defeat OR keep struggling for success. Yeah. Yeah that's it! I'm a winner! I have good friends, and I, uhh, I'm free! I don't need possessions or success, and I, uh, I... I LAUGH at the people who, uh, do! Yeah! I win!" It's just funny, but it's human nature.

If you decide when you're younger that you want to be a priest and be a darn good priest, and then you become one, well, you succeeded. You set a goal for yourself, that's your business, and you achieved it. Screw anyone who doesn't think your goal was worthy. But at least you have to have the intellectual honesty to evaluate your life with the rules you setup for yourself, rather than change the rules to suit your situation. That just prevents honesty or growth.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM

I mean this as lightheartedly as possible but if you are living your life at 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 by rules you set as a kid you are setting yourself up for disappointment. My life changed and evolved depending on my experiences. My priorities as an adult involve how I live my life and how I maintain personal relationships.

I can't imagine anything that would prevent growth more than chaining my aspirations to illusions that did not materialize. Honesty is when I let childhood fantasy go and deal with what is in front of me (you know, putting away childish things and all). Just my experience having not experienced......

Last edited by msnorman67; 10-22-2008 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: it's not about LA, I'm sorry

Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Oh, and I want to live on a boat. Seriously.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:25 PM

Living on a boat can be fun, if it's a luxury yacht.

There's a difference between childhood fantasies and adult goals. It would be like playing a game of chess, challenging someone and saying you're going to beat them. Then half-way through when you realize you're losing, you change the criteria for success to, "Well, I just wanted to have fun, I knew I couldn't really beat you, I just wanted to hang out." You can't change the rules of success in the middle of the game. That prevents any sort of honest evaluation of your life.

I didn't come down here, for instance, thinking I would be a great, successful, famous director in a year or two. I came down here figuring I would go to film school for a year and it would take 2-3 years working for free or $100/day just to sorta get my foot in the door. So far, I've exceeded those expectations. But if you can't meet your goals for what you set out to do in life, and then lack the honesty to admit you didn't succeed, that's just kind of sad.

A lot of people give up on their dreams and goals -- these people are called LOSERS.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:52 PM

I get what you are saying now. I just don't think it applies to the boat guy's situation. I do think he needs to find a slip somewhere. He's teetering on the edge of homelessness.

I lived in a 34' motor-home cruising around the SE and the Gulf Coast for several years. It's surprising how quickly you can adjust to a different arrangement. I wish I could have afforded to bring that beast out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles