Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM

60 posts, read 305,924 times

Advertisements

As everyone else has commented, your housing budget is going to determine where you'll be living.

Beach areas are very expensive and not that close to downtown LA. There are also some very expensive neighborhoods in the downtown area itself .... so it all comes down to how much you want to spend on rent/mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
Commuting to and from any beach city to downtown LA will be a nightmare. Coming from the east coast (I just moved from CA to NY) the sheer volume of daily traffic and gridlock will be a shock, so you should really try to live a close to the job as possible. The good news is that there are good Catholic schools throughout LA county. I agree with South Pasadena, perhaps Burbank, La Canada/Flintridge - I think those areas would be less painful of a commute than the Westside or South Bay.
The South Bay cities might be a nightmare, but the commute from Venice/Marina Del Rey/Santa Monica to Downtown is around 45 minutes.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:59 PM

304 posts, read 931,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcama View Post
My husband, 3 kids (6, 4 and 2) are moving to LA this summer. I know nothing about the LA area (we currently live outside of Boston) and need some seasoned advice on where to move. I would love to be close to the grocery store, live near the beach and close to downtown LA where my husband will be commuting to/from. I would also like to live in a family neighborhood with sidewalks. Is there a family oriented town that exists on the ocean OR should we look more inland? Our kids will most likely attend private Catholic school. Thank you!
------------------

Welcome to LA!

This may help you figure out where to put the kids ion school.
This has private and public.

Depending on your budget there are all manner of areas between downtown and the beach. West of the 405 is your ticket. But Culver City just east of there can be great.

Do you know your budget?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
The South Bay cities might be a nightmare, but the commute from Venice/Marina Del Rey/Santa Monica to Downtown is around 45 minutes.
My DW does it in 30-45 minsfrom El Segundo every weekday. The 105 is a wonderful freeway if you're heading opposite traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles